Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Priest

mgbarrett1

Hi everyone,

Trying to find out info on a Father Daniel Gleeson i received this information in an email it is all the information i have at the moment

DANIEL GLEESON born 10 nov 1875. Parents Daniel & Margaret Gleeson

Ballycahill

Nenagh

Co Tipperary

The only info I have on him was given to me by a distant relative.

" He was a Chaplain to the Allies inWW1 and was injured. His health was not good enough to run a parish in Ireland so he was sent to a parish in Montana USA."

Any help greatly appreciated

Martin

Martin,

Can't find anything at TNA on a Chaplain DANIEL GLEESON. There is

Scope and content

GLEESON, Capt (Chaplain) W

Covering dates 1917-1922

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=0

and

Medal card of Gleeson, Rev Francis A

Corps Regiment No Rank

Attached 3rd Royal Dublin Fusiliers Chaplain

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

John

Check the Irish Catholic Directory for pre 1914 and post 1919. There should be an index of priests. That should give you a diocese/religious order. Contact the archives of the diocese/religious order to find out to which diocese he was sent (he would have had to be incardinated in the new diocese if a diocesan as opposed to a religious priets). That should find your man.

Thanks guys,

For the info i know the thread in realation to Canon francis Gleeson of the Munsters i was in the Nenagh Guadian office yesterday (one of the local papers in North Tipperary) looking for confirmation of his burial site i got his Obiturary from the Nenagh Guardian unfortunatly it does not say where he was buried. while i was in there one of the employees asked if i could find out anything about This chaplain Daniel Gleeson. i will try what ye guys suggested and see what comes up.

Thanks for the Info as always there is always someone who can put you in the right direction

Martin.

Lance-Corporal Sheehan, in a letter of sympathy, wrote—But, thank God, he (deceased) was ready, for he had Confession and received Holy Communion the week before he went into the charge, and also that night before the battle. I saw him killed. I thought at first he was only wounded. I had to creep along the grass to come near him. I found him quite dead. I need not tell you the way I felt. My first impulse was to get his watch to send to you, as I promised, but as I reached him, there was another of my comrades wounded. He was shouting for me to help him, as it was my duty to do so, and when I went and dresses that man’s wounds I nearly got killed myself, for they (the Germans) were firing at me all the time, but, thank God, I escaped this time. I expect you have heard from the priest, he is a Tipperary man, he is very good, like a father to us and his name in Father Gleeson. He does all in his power for us. He writes to the soldiers friends to tell if anything happens to them. He is loved by us. He gives us the Blessed Sacrament as often as he can, and every night that we are out in the trenches he gives us Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. We cannot expect better. I expect that Andy told you before about our beloved Priest.

i was looking in to the dublin.ie forum just yesterday and on one of the threads father gleeson was mentioned [ i can`t remember the suburb he was attached to , southside i think.

mike.

Tom and Mike

Thanks for your additions i have search the catholic Directory for 1920 he not there. But still unable to find anything on a Daniel Gleeson.

Richard, william, Francis, Gleeson all come up

PS can anyone tell me where Canon Francis Gleeson is actually Buried.

Martin

Martin, at an outside chance I'd contact the Catholic diocese(s) in Montana. From my experience USA diocese archives hold pretty good records.

Just a thought

Isadore

Isadore Thanks

I think i will try and ring someone there

thanks again

Martin

Isadore Thanks

I think i will try and ring someone there

thanks again

Martin

OK try this: find out in which parish he was baptised. The baptismal register should also tell you when he was confirmed but, more importantly, when and where he was ordained (these pieces of information should be notified to the baptising parish when various sacraments are administered). With luck this will also give you the diocese/religious order.

Nigel,

Thanks i will try and see what turns up

Martin

Tom and Mike

Thanks for your additions i have search the catholic Directory for 1920 he not there. But still unable to find anything on a Daniel Gleeson.

Richard, william, Francis, Gleeson all come up

PS can anyone tell me where Canon Francis Gleeson is actually Buried.

Martin

he was canon in meath st , dublin. [ this is a city centre location] maybe you could contact their office.

mike.

he was canon in meath st , dublin. [ this is a city centre location] maybe you could contact their office.

mike.

Better to contact the Archdiocesan Chancery/Archives; parishes often do not keep records for any length of time - ie no more than about forty years or so, if that; and are often not in the best of order. The Archdiocese's should be much better.

Thanks mike,

I actually rang Meath street parish yesterday i am waiting for a reply from them

regards

Martin

if you access to the Irish Times archive there's an article about the death of the Very Reverend Francis Canon Gleeson in June 1959. This might mention where he's being buried.

A note in the previous thread :

"He is Father Gleeson from Castlelough in County Tipperary (at least that is where he is buried) this is about 2 miles across Lough Derg on the river shannon "

the following article also suggests Castlelough

http://www.gaelicweb.com/irishampost/year2...featured10.html

However, a search of Glasnevin Cemetery for Francis Gleeson, 1959 pops up an entry

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/

GLEESON FRANCIS DUBLIN. Glasnevin 1959 Burial aged 74 Male

the previous thread has an entry saying his grave inscription in Glasnevin reads :

"PLEASE PRAY FOR PTHE REPOSE OFTHE SOUL OF

VERY REV. CANON FRANCES ANTHONY GLEESON

PARISH PRIEST ST CATHERINES MEATH ST DUBLIN

DIED 26 JUNE 1959 "

Had a look for Daniel Gleesson but didn't find anything.

I think there is a mix up here between Francis and Daniel Gleeson. Assuming that Daniel is not Francis, then the Catholic Year Books are your best option. If born in 1875 it is extremely unlikely that he was ordained before 1899 (the canonical age is/was 24); so try these books from 1899 onwards. If he is not in those, then there is a problem. I do not imagine that there are a huge number of dioceses in Montana, should you go down that line.

Edit - I think that there are only two RC dioceses in Montana - Helena (the original) and Great Falls-Billings; Great Falls was erected in 1904 and the Billings added subsequently. So your man should have served in one or the other, according to what you have heard.

Johnny

Thanks for the information on Canon francis gleeson at least this confirms where he is buried I have read the threads on the Forum in relation to him and quiet a long one but i could not figure out where he was buried one of the members suggested he might have been buried in Toomevara in Co Tipperary and another in Castlelough on the shores of lough Derg.I went to both places and visited local people and did not find any trace of him there.

I then visited the Nenagh Guardian office, the local paper and they found his Obituary printed in the 4th of July edition which states he died on the 26th of june 1959 and was at St Catherines at the time which fits what you found in Glasnevin.

I will go when i have time and try and get a photo of his grave just to add a nice finish to the story that has held so many peoples interest on the forum.

As i said while looking for Canon Francis gleeson's grave site one of the guys working for the Guardian ask me if i could find out anything About Daniel Gleeson he said he was a Chaplain for the Allies was injured and after the war ended up in Montana

thanks again martin.

if you access to the Irish Times archive there's an article about the death of the Very Reverend Francis Canon Gleeson in June 1959. This might mention where he's being buried.

A note in the previous thread :

"He is Father Gleeson from Castlelough in County Tipperary (at least that is where he is buried) this is about 2 miles across Lough Derg on the river shannon "

the following article also suggests Castlelough

http://www.gaelicweb.com/irishampost/year2...featured10.html

However, a search of Glasnevin Cemetery for Francis Gleeson, 1959 pops up an entry

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/

GLEESON FRANCIS DUBLIN. Glasnevin 1959 Burial aged 74 Male

the previous thread has an entry saying his grave inscription in Glasnevin reads :

"PLEASE PRAY FOR PTHE REPOSE OFTHE SOUL OF

VERY REV. CANON FRANCES ANTHONY GLEESON

PARISH PRIEST ST CATHERINES MEATH ST DUBLIN

DIED 26 JUNE 1959 "

Had a look for Daniel Gleesson but didn't find anything.

found a reference in the LDS records to the birth of Daniel Gleeson 10th November 1875, Tipperary to Daniel Gleeson and Margaret Boyle.

This appears to be the parents and 3 of their sons in the 1911 census :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...ycahill/819735/

Nice thing about the Irish census records is that they tell you the number of children born in the marriage and the number still alive. 11 born in this marriage with 10 still living.

In 1911, Daniel Gleeson would have been about 36. Can't find any Daniel Gleeson on the 1911 Irish census that matches. The 1901 census for Ireland is due for release at the end of June 2010; hopefully there might be a reference to him there.

There is a quesry on an Ancestry message board re Gleeson/Gleason from Ballycahill to NY and I've left a message there to see if anyone has any knowledge of Daniel Gleeson.

Thanks johnny

I was just wondering if Pat the man looking for the information may have got the first name wrong. Daniel had a brother called william and there is reference to a william gleeson serving as a chaplain from Tipperary i have e-mailed Pat back just to double check the first name.i have searched a lot of sources and can find no reference to a chaplain Daniel Gleeson anywhere but i am not given up yet.

thanks for looking.

Will keep trying and see what comes up

early days yet

regards

Martin

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul Healy

Hello Martin,

My name is Paul. I am from Nenagh in Co. Tipperary and was at the grave of my great-great-grandfather, Daniel Gleeson, near Ballycahill last week with my mother, who comes from the Gleeson clan in Ballycahill. I have taken a keen interest in my ancestors recently and am also eager to know about the priest Daniel Gleeson that you refer to. He would be my great-grand-uncle. His Brother Terence would have been my great-grand-father and Terences' son, another Daniel, my grand-father, interestingly enough almost became a priest also. He became editor of the local newspaper, The Guardian.

I have seen all the information on the Irish census from 1901/1911 re Daniel and Margaret Gleeson (Ballycahill, Carrigatogher, Tipperary) and their three sons and talked to my mother tonight. Yes there were 11 children and I have all their names. Yes - Daniel, one of the children, was a priest and my mother is aware that he ended up in Montana.

I would be interested to know more about his life and I may be of some help here. When at the graveside of the Gleesons last week there was a mass also and my mother and I met some elders from the community and there was many people trying to gather information from them. I could go back at some stage and find out more about the Daniel Gleeson who became a priest and see what kind of leads we get.

One step at a time. I am really busy here at the moment.

Regards.

Paul.

A little poking around the Ellis Island records provided the following:

Sept 26, 1900-- Daniel Gleeson from Nenagh arrived at Ellis Island. He is listed as a 24 year old student and is going to the "Kentacil(?) Seminary in St. Louis. (Presumably the Kenrick Seminary in that city.) His nativity is shown as Great Britain, Irish.

Sept 1, 1909-- Daniel Gleeson from Nenagh arrived at Ellis Island. He is listed as a 33 year old Clergyman. His final destination is shown as St. Louis, Missouri. Home is at 3854 Flad Ave. St. Louis, Mo. He is a US Citizen. His next of kin is a brother, Terence Gleeson of Castle Street Nenagh.

August 13, 1913-- Daniel Gleason arrived at Ellis Island. He is listed as 37 and a US citizen having been naturalized in St. Louis about 1903. His US address is given as Louisiana, Missouri.

If anyone has access to the arrival records to the UK they should be able to help determine whether this is the correct Daniel Gleeson.

I didn't find any travel indicating Montana but do know that many Irishmen from the Waterford area worked the mines in Butte, so that could give him a possible connection to Montana.

According to records on Ancestry he appears to have registered for the US Draft - 12th September 1918

Daniel Joseph Gleeson

508, No 3rd, Louisiana Missouri

Age 41

DoB 11/11/1876

White

Naturalised US Citizen

Minister

Employer - St Josephs Catholic Church (same address as home)

Nearest Relative - Andrew J Murphy - 500, No 5th, Louisiana, Missouri (relationship not given)

Medium height and build

Eyes - Grey, Hair - Black

He was recorded in the 1920 US Census at the same address in Louisiana, Missouri - which appears to be part of Buffalo Township

Not much other information that hasn't already been given - 43 by then - rented household consisted of him as head, Mary Allen (housekeeper) born Missouri of Irish parents and John Dorney (janitor) born Ireland

I wonder if Missouri and Montana possibly got muddled in the passing down of the story??

Cheers

Sue

Esskay

Very good point about the possibility of confusing Missouri and Montana. Just to add to it, there were many men recruited in the Waterford, Cork, Tipperary areas of Ireland and sent to mines all over Montana, one of those locations being Missoula, Montana. The name Missoula would have been fairly well known in Tipperary so a referrence to Missouri could easily have been mistaken for Missoula, and therefore, Montana.

Tyrim

Esskay tyrim and paul

Thanks for the information i will contact Pat at the Nenagh Guardian during the week and pass on the information and see if he can make any sense of it

It is the best lead i have so far it is quiet possible that the names got mixed up over time. The only down side if i remember from our last conversation was that he had served with the military before he went to America but i will see what happens when i talk to him during the week

Ps Paul i will pass on all the info i find out in relation to your relatives

regards Martin