Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
David  B

White feather

MichaelBully

Yes I have read one or two stories which may be 'true in principle' but perhaps not in details. The usual one is that a young man in civilian clothes is in a restuarant , and a rather pompous older lady comes bustling over and hands him a white feather. He thanks her for it politely and puts in his jacket pocket so it remains visible. Later when gets up to leave, he reaches under the table, comes up with a walking stick and when stands, it is clear that part of his leg his missing.

Such stories being circulated seem to show that there were doubts concerning the antics of the women with the white feathers.

Regards

healdav

QUOTE (David Faulder @ Apr 28 2010, 10:07 AM)

When did the practice actually die out? I have heard rumour that it also occurred during WW2.

David

Not a rumour - It does indeed seem to have occurred during WW2. Attached is a strongly-worded Daily Mirror editorial of the 30th August 1940.

post-42233-1276764392.jpg

It certainly did happen. My father was sent one. I mentioned earlier that although he was in a civilian job he was forbidden to even volunteer for active service (his civilian service was actually more active than that of many sodliers or airmen).

Guest CombatCarer

When did the practice actually die out? I have heard rumour that it also occurred during WW2.

David

I know for a fact that a soldier who resigned from his Territorial Unit just before it deployed was sent a white feather in the post. The person who sent it did not have the courage to hand it to him, and nor did they make themselves known. It was sent from the town where the Unit was located so could have been anyone.

This occurred when the Unit was deploying to Iraq and it was 2003, so it can be argued that it still hasn't died out!

kenneth505

Does anyone have an idea of when the practice began. I've posted before on this topic that I've found refernce to it in literature on the American Civil War.

I find myself tending to think the practice has more traction in pop culture then in actual total historical numbers. It's a simple tableau to create that pulls a lot of strings.