Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wrong Spelling of name?

Roy Evans

I’m researching a man who is commemorated on a street shrine in Wolverhampton. He is shown on the memorial as ‘W CONOLLY 9206 South Staffordshire Regt’. CWGC has the spelling as CONNELLY. Whilst I accept that these local memorials can contain errors in spelling, the 1901 census has William CONOLLY aged 8 living at 11 Court, Faulkland Street, Wolverhampton, which was within 50 metres of the memorial. Other members of the family were his mother Elizabeth (42), brother George (14) and sister Maggie (4). I can’t find any of the family (with either spelling) in the 1911 census. Any ideas?

Roy

I can't find any of the family (with either spelling) in the 1911 census. Any ideas?

Roy

There is a Margaret CONNOLLEY of the right age living in what appears to be an establishemnt for workhouse children in Amos Lane, Wednesfield,Wolverhampton

There are a George & William CONNELLY both living in a lodging house at 22 Bilston Street Wolverhampton, both of the right ages.

Can't find the mother though.

Hope this helps

Peter

One cause of various forms of spelling for the same name was the lower levels of literacy. Some people literally could not write or spell their own name. As a result different officials would take it down from the spoken declaration and might spell it differently. Couldn't say if this is what has happened here but its a possibility

Roy

I'm entirely with centurion here. My Stockport research has thrown up several examples of differing spellings over time including within different branches of the same family. In the course of this I came across a guy doing a "one name" project and it was doing his head in (he'd found many more variations of the family name). Seems to settle down in the 1920s.

1901 Census ((and earlier) is a particularly "iffy" source" for spellings as it was the enumerator who recorded the name on the form. He will have used his own judgement about spelling in some cases. I think from 1911, the census form completed by the householder, which will explain why it's sorted itself out by the 20s.

John

Yes and I've even found people whose name spelling varies on different forms even though its the same person. I think education acts may have had a stabilising effect. In doing my own family history I came across one branch where the spelling of the surname fluctuated considerably the further back in time one went so that in the 16th century there were significant variations. The reason for this becomes fairly clear with an early 18th Century member who was relatively well to to do but seems to have used at least three variations of spelling in his lifetime. I obtained a photocopy of his will which he has signed with a large X !

Thanks to everyone for your input. Bilston Street is about half a mile from the memorial and is a distinct possibility.

I accept the literacy issue, the area was in one of the poorer areas of the town, and there are two more errors on the same memorial, William Henry Evans is shown as ‘E. Evans’ (‘enry?) and John Donelly (as per the memorial and his obit in the local newspaper) is ‘Donnelly in his military records.

Roy

If you know his DOB, then you could check the BDM, that should have the correct spelling.

Many of the census filler inners put how they thought a names was spelt if they were unsure of the correct way.

In FMP's 1901 - CONNOLLY, William Son M 8 1893 Wolverhampton

Grant

This looks like your chap in 1911:

CONNELLY, William, Boarder, Single, Cooper, born 1894 in Wolverhampton

Living (Boarding) at 22 Bilston Street Wolverhampton

Rg#:RG14 Piece:17072 Reference:RG14PN17072 RG78PN1052 RD369 SD5 ED20 SN193

Isabella (from 1891 census) (the mother Elizabeth) dies in 1901 - Wolverhampton 6B 338 3qt 1901

Sister Margaret (spelt CONNOLLEY) is in a Childrens home for the Wolverhampton Union

Hth

Grant

Grant,

Thank you so much for spending so long on this one, really very much appreciated.

Roy

Now, if you could only sort out the issues in post #7..... :lol: (only joking!)

Roy,

Are you sure its William on the memorial?

Can see a William any where near Staffs in the 1911.

There is an Ethel EVENS, b 1889 Wolverhampton, employed as a servent in 1911, could she be a Nurse or something ? (not on CWGC).

in 1911: DONNELLY, John, Single, Soldier Infantry, born 1882 in Woverhampton

of the 2nd Bn South Stafford Regt

Based at No 6 Regimental District Whittington Barracks, Lichfield

Grant