Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers KIA in Ireland

BrendanLee

Hi,

I am trying to put together a list of all the British Soldiers KIA or died I Ireland during the Irish War of Independence (1919 – 1921). I am looking for the usual CWGC type information and if possible the cause and place of death. Any information would be gratefully appreciated, the information is for my website.

I am also looking for information on any ex-soldier who joined the Black and Tans and was KIA.

Regards,

Brendan.

www.irishmedals.org

Brendan.

My compliments on a excellent site and the best of luck with it in the future.

Kind regards.

Tom in Tipp.

On the Connaught Rangers Mutiny section Willie Conan should be William Coman, tis was corrected on his MIC. he was from Tipp.

regards.

Tom.

Tom

I have this

Henry Alfred MORRIS

Private 4905221

“D” Company, 2nd Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Killed in Ireland on Sunday 10 July 1921

post-10072-1272370382.jpg post-10072-1272370540.jpg

Henry was born in Lichfield on Saturday 20 January 1900, the eldest son of Henry Alfred and Lucy (nee Williams) Morris of 57, Pool Street, Walsall, 25, Ward Street, Walsall and 70, Spout Lane, Walsall, his father being a self employed gardener. He was killed post war at 21 years of age serving in Ireland.

Educated at Hillary Street, School, Henry left in 1914 and found employment as a filer. Although only 14 years of age he enlisted in the Army at Darlaston serving in the East Kent Regiment. Drafted to France in 1916 he was wounded in action on two occasions and also gassed.

Demobilised after the war, he re-enlisted in the 2nd Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment in 1920 and was drafted to Cork, Ireland.

It would appear that Henry was in the company friends when they were out, unarmed, in Cork during the Irish War of Independence. The group were captured by the Sinn Feinn, taken to a field and then shot to death. His officer, Captain Hordern, wrote to the family,

“I regret very much to have to inform you that your son, Private H. Morris, was killed by the Irish rebels on Sunday July 10, at about 10.30pm. He was out on pass at the time with another friend in the regiment and with two men of the Royal Engineers. They were kidnapped, and although the tragedy is difficult to visualise, I feel that you would prefer to know what happened. As far as could be found out, your son and his friends were shot together. From what I saw myself when they were brought to the barracks, I am convinced that they could not have suffered, but died instantly. Your son was blindfolded and taken to a field about two to three miles from where he had been walking with his friends.”

Henry’s body was returned to England on Thursday 14 July 1921 and buried on Saturday 16 July 1921 at Ryecroft Cemetery, Walsall in Grave 35.5.358 with full military honours. The Reverend L.A. Wilkinson of St. Luke’s Church officiated. Henry was 21 years of age.

His friend was Lance Corporal 4905129 Harold Daker of New Street, Chasetown. He is buried in St. Ann’s Churchyard, Chasetown.

Henry’s father had something of a chequered Army career. He enlisted in the Army at Wolverhampton on Thursday 24 June 1915 as Private R/4/111618 in the 55th Remount Squadron, Army Service Corps.

He was discharged on Saturday 26 June 1915 as ‘not being likely to become an efficient soldier’ with just 3 days eligible service.

It would appear that he then enlisted in the 3/5th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment on Wednesday 22 September 1915 with service number 1188. On Tuesday 11 April 1916 he was declared a deserter and on Friday 9 June 1916, after being captured or surrendering himself on Thursday 25 May 1916, was tried by District Courts Martial. He was sentenced to 1 year’s imprisonment.

On Tuesday 19 December 1916, whilst serving in the 5th Reserve Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment, he was again declared a deserter, being apprehended or surrendering himself on Sunday 11 February 1917. He was again tried by District Courts Martial on Monday 26 February 1917 and this time was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour commuted to 18 months imprisonment.

He was released from the Army on Saturday 18 August 1917 and discharged from the Army on Tuesday 25 September 1917 as ‘being no longer physically fit for further war service’.

If you have anything further on these men I would be most grateful, especilly who the Engineers were.

Graeme

I only have a one Shropshire man who died in Ireland, well Northern Ireland, during that time frame.

I'm not sure he's associated with the troubles. Problem is he was in the Labour Corps and probably died of Flu.

A.T. Walton of Cheswardine and Tibberton, Shropshire.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=660944

A few months ago i spotted on Abergwili memorial Parcell Rees Bowen who died in Ireland.

Have a look at forum member SteveJ's brilliant website. It has the fascinating story of Mr. Bowen

http://www.laugharnewarmemorial.co.uk/page5.htm

Neil

Private WILLIAM HENRY TELFORD

534369, "B" Sqdn., 10th (Prince of Wales's Own Royal) Hussars

who died age 19 on 24 June 1921

Son of Mrs. Edith B. Bayes (formerly Telford), of 120, Union St., Middlesbrough, and the late John Telford

interned in Linthorpe Cemetery

Killed aboard a troop train by Sinn Feiners

Brendan

are you looking for those that died of any causes during the timeframe you state or just KIA

Chris

Brendan

are you looking for those that died of any causes during the timeframe you state or just KIA

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for all the press cuttings, they will give me plenty to get started with. I think I will stick to KIA for the moment and see how big the project turns out to be.

Regards,

Brendan.

I only have a one Shropshire man who died in Ireland, well Northern Ireland, during that time frame.

I'm not sure he's associated with the troubles. Problem is he was in the Labour Corps and probably died of Flu.

A.T. Walton of Cheswardine and Tibberton, Shropshire.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=660944

A few months ago i spotted on Abergwili memorial Parcell Rees Bowen who died in Ireland.

Have a look at forum member SteveJ's brilliant website. It has the fascinating story of Mr. Bowen

http://www.laugharnewarmemorial.co.uk/page5.htm

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thank you for this one and the link, I should have said in my original question I am look for those KIA in all of Ireland.

Regards,

Brendan.

If you have anything further on these men I would be most grateful, especilly who the Engineers were.

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thank you for these, if I do find anything on the Engineers I will let you know.

Regards,

Brendan.

Information on all ex-British soldiers who joined the Royal Irish Constabulary from early 1920 on can be found in the General Register of the RIC in the National Archives (HO184/40). Military service information and whether they were a casualty can be found. A useful website for police casualties might be Seamus Fox's one at http//webpages.dcu.ie/~irhist/index/htm.

A memorial service was held in Dublin on 21 November 1921 for all British military personell killed before and after the Truce. A program was provided that listed by name every casualty. I have a copy of this and will scan it in and post it when I can locate it.

Not all 1919-1921 British casualties were buried in Ireland or in the UK by the CWGC so some names are missing from the CWGC registers. A case in point was Private Richard Edward Larter of 1st Battalion Machine Gun Corps. He was shot dead on 10 July 1921 but his body was returned to England and he was buried in Swainsthorpe Churchyard near Norwich. He is not listed in the CWGC and application has been made to have his grave taken care of by that organization.

Sorry, I accidentally deleted part of the first paragraph in last reply. Police (including Black and Tans) casualties can be found in Police Casualties in Ireland 1919-1922 by Richard Abbott, Mercier Press, Cork, Ireland, 2000.

Graeme,

There is a photograph of the two South Staffs and two Engineers in the field they were shot in the book 'British Voices from the Irish war of Independance'.

It has an Imperial War Museum ref 107745.

Also in the book is a photo of Pte Fielding East Lancs Regiment, killed 26th April 1921, near Liscarroll.

Rob

I have a [ex-] Gunner Harry Corless (70568). a regular in 15th Bty/36th Bde RFA in 1914 who was killed in Cork .. 26th Dec 1919, when serving as a telegraphist/signaller I think. His records survive if you want to check his records.

david

Here is the program, dated 21 November 1922. Note that accidental deaths.deaths from disease are not listed so Harry Corless, who died of a skull fracture, is not commemorated.

post-48620-1272892403.jpg

post-48620-1272892419.jpg

Any chance of a copy of the programme please so that I can check for any non commemorateds

Chris

I am interested Lt Wogan-Brown mentioned on the programme. He was killed outside Kildare Barracks on 10 February 1922. I can't quite makeout the RFA battery listed in the programme. Can you confirm which one it is.

Thanks

Mark

Wogan Brown was in 48th Battery. gp

Any chance of a copy of the programme please so that I can check for any non commemorateds

Chris

Drop me an email and I will send a pdf. gp

Hello Brendan,

The following are buried in CWGs in Galway:

247684 Cpl C. Henney RAF 18th August 1921 Age 21.

11031 Pte AF. Bannister 6th Dragoon Guards 12th October 1921.

D/36279 Pte H. Thompson 6th Dragoon Guards 13th July 1920

D/8761 Sjt R. Bishop MM. 6th Dragoon Guards 6th may 1920

Hope this is of use to you.

Regards

C.T.

You beat me to it Chris!

Certainly worth checking that memorial list for non-coms.

Llee,

This interesting little project of yours is quite likely to throw up a few men KIA who failed to get a proper commemoration. I know that in the past Ireland has been a hot bed for forgotten men like this. If you find a man who on the face of it isn't recorded by the CWGC why not let us know and post a thread in non-coms?

Hi

Thank you for all the information and apologies for the delay in replying, I took out a weeks subscription to the Irish Times online and have been lost in it for the past week. I have added the list of what I have so far to the website, so far I have only listed those that are listed on the CWGC site. There are a few names I have found that I can not find on the CWGC site but I need to do a little more research on them. Again, thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Brendan.

http://irishmedals.org/gpage43.html

That's a NO then.

The men we have an interest in are the men NOT presently commemorated by the commission. I take it that you intend to take these further? If so then Good luck with your research Brendan.