Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
regtcollector

Coldstream guards officer Boer war WW1

regtcollector

Hi does any body have any imformation on captain Frederick James Osbaldeston Montagu of the coldstream guards he was with them in the Boer war and earned a MC in the Great War and OBE, i cannot find his MC in the gazette, so suspect there was no citation, any imformation would be greatly appreciated. It may take me a little while to reply to posts as my work heavily interferes with my gwf participation, Thanks Ian

ATNOMIS

Hi

His Mic 18 Division GOC

1915 star

BWM

VM

Theatre War Boulogne 17/7/15

Back says

Claims 14 15 star sumittef by inspector gen og Training.

Brit armies in France.

F J O Montagu makes app for 14 15 star.

Medals 22.7.20

Address

Lynford Hall

Mundford

Norfolk

Cheers

Atnomis

ATNOMIS

Another Mic

Montagu. Capt FJO

RES. OF OFF

Staff

MID L.D.15.5.17 Page 4750

SteveE
i cannot find his MC in the gazette, so suspect there was no citation

Ian

His MC was promulgated in the London Gazette #30450, 1st January 1917. Link to it is..... http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30450/supplements/42

Capt. Frederick James Osbaldeston Montagu, C Gds

As it's a 'New Year's Honours' award you are quite correct in that there will be no citation printed in the Gazette.

SteveE

His OBE was a "Birthday Honour", London Gazette #31370, 3rd June 1919. Link to it is..... http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31370/pages/6802

Montagu, Capt. Frederick James Osbaldeston, M.C., C. Gds. (R. of O.).

Regards

Steve

Coldstreamer

will look and get back to you tomoz

Coldstreamer

unusual one

joined gen res 19.8.14 capt

adjt to a btn in RN Divn

adc 18th div

adc xv111th corps

capt obe mc desp 2

no service with CG in WW1

regtcollector

Hi All, thankyou for your help, some time ago i purchased this mans prewar frock coat and found out after some research that he served in the Boer War with the Coldstream Guards and was later High Sherriff of Yorkshire (i'm originally a Yorkshireman), it was only many months later that i got to thinking that it was unusual for a man of his age group not to have served in the great war, and checked for him again, that i came across his first war index card, just goes to show that sometimes it pays to go back and check research on individuals as new information is constantly arising. The Frock is at present being restored as when i got it, its toggles were missing and had some stitching faults. The Montagu family were extremely rich, and its sad that he didnt leave me a few mil stashed in his jacket, but thems the breaks, will settle with the frock happily. cheers Ian

Guest BermudaRegiment

I would be very grateful if you might contact me as Captain Montagu was my great great uncle.

I can answer all your questions, on 0790 556 7245 or 01892 512337.

tullybrone

I would be very grateful if you might contact me as Captain Montagu was my great great uncle.

I can answer all your questions, on 0790 556 7245 or 01892 512337.

Hi,

I've just sent Ian a PM in case he misses your post as he hasn't been on the foum for over a month.

steve Y

Coldstreamer

who me? Ive been here - maybe cammed up ...

and I wouldn't put my phone number on an open forum

Bahrain973
On 24/04/2010 at 02:53, regtcollector said:

Hi All, thankyou for your help, some time ago i purchased this mans prewar frock coat and found out after some research that he served in the Boer War with the Coldstream Guards and was later High Sherriff of Yorkshire (i'm originally a Yorkshireman), it was only many months later that i got to thinking that it was unusual for a man of his age group not to have served in the great war, and checked for him again, that i came across his first war index card, just goes to show that sometimes it pays to go back and check research on individuals as new information is constantly arising. The Frock is at present being restored as when i got it, its toggles were missing and had some stitching faults. The Montagu family were extremely rich, and its sad that he didnt leave me a few mil stashed in his jacket, but thems the breaks, will settle with the frock happily. cheers Ian

Coldstreamer

welcome Bahrain

did you want to contribute as you seem to have just coped someones post, ,maybe in error?

cheers