Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

City and County of Cork War Dead

Gerry White

Hello Brendan,

While you are waiting for Gerry to answer, may I just ask about John James, do you know from his record if any NOK are listed or what his occupation was on enlistment, you may know that we have him as a brother of Patrick Fitzgerald, of 4 Bowles Lane, Clare Street, Limerick, but I have nothing else at this stage on him, Gerry may have some extra information,

Regards,

Sean

Hello Brendan,

While you are waiting for Gerry to answer, may I just ask about John James, do you know from his record if any NOK are listed or what his occupation was on enlistment, you may know that we have him as a brother of Patrick Fitzgerald, of 4 Bowles Lane, Clare Street, Limerick, but I have nothing else at this stage on him, Gerry may have some extra information,

Regards,

Sean

Yes Patrick is my grandfather he died young so information on john james is limited We were not aware of a link with cork until I saw John James

Birth as Cork I've also been told he had a brother who also died but my father can't remember he's name .Nok is Patrick and his mother Anne

Thanks for your help Sean

Regards brendan

Hello Brendan,

There are 24 Fitzgerald causality’s on the Cork list, 7 of those have no family listed and could be the brother of John James.

We do however have a Fitzgerald family who was reported to have lost three sons during the war, we have confirmed this family connection to brothers Martin and Edward, by coincidence the other brothers names in that family were James and Patrick, the mothers name in this case was Bridget whose husband Edward had died prior to 1901.

There is not that much ground to cover in trying to find this family and it will come through the parents or siblings names, do you know if the whole family moved to Limerick from Cork or could it just have been your grandfather Patrick or was Patrick actually born in Limerick.

Regards,

Sean

• 4 months later...

Hello Sean,

Another name found I think,this one is from the new list of the Naval casualty details on Ancestry .Here is his CWGC entry http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=2851819 .It says that he died from disease.He was born 15th of July 1897 and his birth place was Rathbarry Clonakilty,his next of kin was his mother Annie from the Galley Head Clonakilty.I've found this match on the census from 1901 http://www.census.na...ndeady/1162166/ No doubt this new addition will turn up new names of naval casualties from Cork.I'll check through the remainder for Clonakilty now.

Kind regards

Brendan

Name:Jeremiah Donovan

Birth Date:15 Jul 1897

Birth Place:Rathbarry, Clonakilty, Cork

BRANCH OF SERVICE:Royal Navy

Cause of Death:Died from disease

Official Number Port Division:J.32136.(Dev)

Death Date:4 Mar 1917

Ship or Unit:HMS Vivid

Location of Grave:L. (General Ground) 3. O.

Name and Address of Cemetery:Plymouth Devonport & Stonehouse Cemetery, Plymouth, Devon

Relatives Notified and Address:Mother: Annie Galley Head, Clonakilty, Co Cork, Ireland

And another one, http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=2865812 . Here is a possibility from the 1901 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Clonakilty_Urban/Faxbridge/1095928/

Regards

Brendan

Name:Daniel Driscoll

Birth Date:2 Nov 1881

Birth Place:Clonakilty, Cork, Ireland

BRANCH OF SERVICE:Royal Navy

Cause of Death:Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action

Official Number Port Division:296397. (Dev)

Death Date:31 May 1916

Ship or Unit:HMS Invincible

Location of Grave:Not recorded

Name and Address of Cemetery:Body Not Recovered For Burial

Relatives Notified and Address:Wife: Elizabeth, 11, Elgin St, Clydebank, Glasgow

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Sean.

Could you clear up this mystery man for me please, he is one one the many Corkmen in the Limerick papers but I cannot nail him down, any ideas?

Cheers.

Tom.

Barrack Tragedy.

Soldiers Suicide in Cork.

It is reported that shortly before two o’clock yesterday Private Crowley, of the Royal Munster Fusiliers, committed suicide in the guardroom at Victoria Barracks Cork, by hanging himself with a rope. An inquest will be held.

October, 1914.

A verdict of suicide was returned at an inquest at Cork Military Barracks on Private James Cooney, 3rd Dublin Fusiliers. It was stated deceased refused to obey orders and was placed in the guardroom. He became very depressed and later was found hanging from the end of his bed, which he had placed against he wall.

Bump.

The reason I am bumping this is Terry Denham says this man is eligible for In from the cold project and is not in the CWGC. Any help would be most appreciated lads.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I know that the man I am looking for (one of wife's great-great uncles) may have been a sailor. His name was John Murray from Garrylucas Ballinspittle and my wife was told by her deceased grandmother that he had been torpeoded in the war. When looking on the Commonwealth Wargraves website we found the following casualty who is the right age (plus the names of the parents fit, although it appears that this John Murray had moved to London and married):

MURRAY, JOHN

Leading Seaman

Service No:

4090/A

Date of Death:

31/10/1917

Regiment/Service:

Royal Naval Reserve

S.S. "Phare"

Grave Reference

XI.A. 3. 29.

Cemetery

LEYTONSTONE (ST. PATRICK'S) ROMAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of John and Catherine Murray; husband of Catherine Murray, of 3 Argyle Rd., Custom House, London.

Is this John Murray the same as the John Murray we are looking for or is John Murray from Garrylucas not him?

I would be really grateful for any help.

Thanks

Justin

Justin

The details taken from "A Great Sacrifice - Cork Servicemen who Died in the Great War" by Gerry White & Brendan O'Shea have him listed as the "Second son of John and Catherine Murray of Garrylucas, Ballinspittle, Co Cork; husband of Catherine Murray of 3 Argyle Road, Custome House, London, England" which would seem to confirm the same man. I am sure someone from Co Cork will be along soon with perhaps more detaills or even local newspaper clippings to further confirm.

Regards, Tommy.

Tommy

Thank you so much for this, having recently found out that his brother was in the 2nd Battalion Irish Guards (Sergeant Timothy Allan who won a DCM and died in 1932 at the age of 36) this means a lot to know this. The remaining brother (John having died in 1917) brought up my wife's grandfather and his brother at Garrylucas in the late 1920s and early 1930s, the father of the two boys (Robert Gilchrist Allan - I have posted about both him and Timothy elsewhere on the Forum) having been in the RAMC in 1915 and never having recovered from the effects of the first gas used in that year died in 1925. Any more information would be of great value to my wife and her family.

Regards

Justin

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Back in post #45, I mentioned John McGRATH RN from Douglas, Co. Cork who is buried at Llaneilian in the northeast corner of Anglesey. Having had access to the Naval & Marine wargraves rolls 1914-19 (an official source, available on both Ancestry and FindMyPast) I note that his next of kin was given as his aunt, Bridget O'Sullivan of Shanbally, Monkstown, Co. Cork.

Also visible on my radar now from the same source is Vincent Joseph Michael Green, Sapper, Deal/260(S), Royal Marines. Born Holyhead, Anglesey 19.7.1892, in the 1911 Census he was a railway apprentice aged 18 at Crewe, Cheshire. He enlisted at London 26.9.14 (trade, Mechanical Engineer) and was allocated to the 1st Field Company, Royal Naval Divisional Engineers. Served with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force from 1 March 1915. Wounded on 13.6.15 Gallipoli, he ended up in the 11th Casualty Clearing Station at "W" Beach where he died of wounds next day. Buried Lancashire Landing Cemetery.

The War Graves list above and the RN Divisional casualty records give his next of kin as Mrs A.Green of the Devonshire Arms Hotel, Youghal, Co. Cork. CWGC describe him as the brother of Mrs. M.O'Regan of the same address. Probate of his will in London, October 1915 gave the Devonshire Arms as his address, and probate was granted to James Green, railway clerk.

You may have this information already, but I list it here just in case.

Clive

• 9 years later...

The Royal Garrison artillery list above is for enlistments into the Cork Royal Garrison Artillery up to 1911 which had Special Reserve status from 1908, ie liable for overseas service upon mobilisation although in reality they would have garrisoned the artillery assigned to coastal defence in Co Cork, does anyone have anything on their role in WWI ? (it was probably similar to the only other such unit in Ireland for Co Antrim   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antrim_Artillery   )

Cork RGA to 1911 at TNA .jpg