Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

City and County of Cork War Dead

Gerry White

Hi Sean,Patrick's next of kin details give his address as No.6 Casement St. which was formerly Oliver St.,there doesn't appear to be any Collins' living on Oliver St. and Casement St. did not exist on the 1911 census.Also Ellen's name appears to be Ellie on the census.Would the next of kin details be updated when the CWGC was formed.As regards to Denis Collins' address,it shows that they lived at the address on Patrick's St. at the time of the 1901 and 1911 census so I'm presuming they moved to Oliver/Casement Street at a later stage by the time his son was killed.Below is the article on his death.

Brendan

post-48752-051317900 1279297778.jpg

Hi Brendan,

They could indeed have moved and the information up dated later, the family names listed in the 1901 census are slightly different from the family listed in the 1911 and also the birth place of Denis the father is co Cork in 1901 and Co Tipp in 1911, but we can be certain from the names in 1901 they are the same Patrick and Ellie (Ellen) in the paper and book.

The news paper article creates a link to Fred Stanley Lowe and Denis Collins's daughter Ellie, so he will be put in the next print. I will see if I can search ancestry for information on Fred S Lowe, there are listings for him on the service records so I will try and get access to them.

Fred Stanley Lowe is listed as 18/10/1914 and by pure coincidence on the same date in 1915, 18/10/1915 another soldier by the name of Frederick J Lowe was also killed, however the date of the newspaper article pins our man down.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Brendan,

I don’t think Frank Moran would be eligible based on the information available at this time, While he is noted in the newspaper clipping as being in Cork for some period of time, which coincides with him being listed in the 1901 census returns for him living in Marino Street Bantry, however in the 1911 census he is listed as being back living in Limerick, therefore his connection to Cork may have been too short a period with no further connections, but I will get a second opinion.

In relation to Fred Stanley Lowe, I gained access to his record and from that information and with the information that you provided he will be put in the next print. He actually married Ellen in Dublin in 1912 and they had two children, after Fred’s death Ellen remarried at some stage and lived in the barracks at Aldershot around 1919.

I will pass the two Chaplain names to Billy for his files.

Thank you again,

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,good to hear you found out something on Fred Lowe,that was the correct casualty on the CWGC so for him.Do you know who Ellie/Ellen got married to afterwards?,that would be interesting to know especially if it was back to a local lad.

Here's another one from the paper dated 23rd of November 1916,it states that his sister Miss Jane Crowley formerly from the Square Bantry who is nursing in Salonika has received news that her brother Denis Florence has been killed in action on the Western Front ,there is a Denis Crowley listed in the Great Sacrifice but he is listed as been born in Cork city with his wife's address as been on Hanover St. in the city.There does appear to be a Denis and Jane Crowley living on Market St. on the 1911 census in Bantry.Also to let you know I came across a letter relating to lieu.Salter to his mother from the POW camp in Germany like Jean said.

Regards

Brendan

http://www.census.na..._Street/375190/

post-48752-097824400 1279715282.jpg

Hi Brendan,

The info from the census looks like the right Denis, his record did not survive, he is Private Denis Crowley, No 7686 Army Cyclist Corps or as on his MIC Army Corps of Clerks, KiA 9th Oct 1916. His name is added to list, Thank you.

Yes Jean mentioned the letter, I must get a copy of it. Billy said a Big thank you for the information on.

Fred Lowe’s widow remarried and was listed as Ellen Mcdonald, this is the name she signed for the Plaque and Scroll. I don’t know anything about her new husband, Fred’s service records were in a poor state and it was thanks to forum member Gary he was able to pick out some names for me.

Regards,

Sean

Thanks Sean,good to hear another one has been found and thanks for the details on Ellen McDonald,I'm afraid that name dosen't tie in with anything locally that I have.Will keep on searching for more names.

All the best

Brendan

Here's another Sean for the check list.This clipping was published on the 22nd of April 1916,A letter from Private Young from Skibbereen mentions soldiers KIA,all are mentioned in the book bar Ross from Dunmanway.Thomas Donovan was the casualty from Toormoor who died on the 30/3/1916 and Thomas Dempsey Died four days previous on the 26th.Checking the CWGC turns up some possibilities on or around that date,link here http://www.cwgc.org/....x=51&send.y=18 ,there is a Joseph Ross listed in the book but he is listed as been KIA September 6th 1916 having been born in Drimoleague and having lived in Skibbereen and another John F. Ross born in Cork living in Scotland KIA March 8th 1916 but he has been killed in Mesoptamia and not the Western Front like the others.Also I wonder is the Private Young from Skibbereen who wrote the letter Richard Young who is listed in the book KIA August 12th 1917?

post-48752-082635600 1279890542.jpg

Hi Brendan,

This is a bit of a mystery, there is no Ross listed in any of the census for the Dunmanway area who could be the right age for service during the war years. There were four men named Ross killed on the western front in the six weeks around the date of Thomas Donovan’s death but none are connected in any way to Cork. Richard Young is the man who wrote the letter from the Mardyke area of Skibbereen. I cant find anything on this man Ross in any of the archives at this time but I will give another search over the weekend.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,I did check yesterday myself but nothing seemed to be any way conclusive towards the name,I initially thought that the casualty was the Ross from Drimoleague but his date of death was out by a few months when I checked,maybe Ross was only wounded or taken prisoner that's if there is a Ross from Dunmanway to start with?,it's a pity the articles don't carry the first names of the men.Now Sean I have a small query of my own if thats OK,in the book is listed a James Hurley died 6th of February 1915 http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=3056769 ,I found both James Hurley Senior and Junior on the census of 1901 in Ballinluig Butlerstown,James Senior has died by 1911,is this possibly the correct James Hurley's family that the next of kin is given as been Timoleague?.James Hurley died of illness at HMS Pembroke ,Chatham Barracks. Here is the census of 1901 http://www.census.na...nluhig/1097062/ ,it would be interesting to know if this is the same person as this would make him my Great Grand Uncle.

Regards

Brendan

Hi Tom and Joe

Tom, From my inquiries it looks at this stage that William Jones while killed in Fermoy was in fact from Wales, I am still trying to pin down Philips and Greenwood.

Regards,

Sean.

Hi Joe,

I am replying in place of Gerry and he thanks you for your good comments. In relation to your question there are 7 men from the Black Watch listed in the Cork Book, See bellow.

Thank you again for your comments and interest.

Regards Sean

COGAN, John

No: S/9155. Rank: Private.

8th Service Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Ss. Peter and Paul's Parish, Cork City.

Son of Mrs. Ellen Cogan of 3 Evenus Ville, Albert Road, Cork City.

Enlisted in Cork.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 12 October 1917, age 20.

HAMILTON, Ralph

No: 345760. Rank: Private.

14th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Aghada, Co. Cork.

Son of George and Alice Hamilton of 13 Broadway, Cricklewood, London. He previously served in the Royal Highlanders with the service no. 2574.

Enlisted in London.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 02 September 1918, age 20.

Buried in Peronne Communal Cemetery Extension, France. Grave Reference: V. B. 3.

McGLENON, John Patrick

No: S/10135. Rank: Private.

2nd Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Cork.

He previously served in the 3rd Reserve Cavalry Regiment with the service no. 7631.

Enlisted in Liverpool, England.

Killed in action in Mesopotamia, 22 April 1916.

Commemorated on the Basra Memorial, Iraq, Panel 25 and 63.

NESBIT, James Bowden

No: 1236. Rank: Private.

6th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Dublin.

Son of W. H. and Jeannie Nesbit of 34 North Strand Road, Dublin. He was employed as a Customs and Excise Officer in Bantry, Co. Cork prior to enlisting.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 16 July 1917.

Buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais, France. Grave Reference: VII. B. 62.

O'BRIEN, James

No: S/4649. Rank: Private.

9th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Cork.

Enlisted in Tonypandy, Glamorgan, Wales.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 25 September 1915.

Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, Loos-en-Gohelle, Pas-de-Calais, France, Panel 78 to 83.

O'CONNOR, Joseph

No: S/4877. Rank: Private.

9th Battalion, The Black Watch. (Royal Highlanders)

Born in Rathduff, Co. Cork.

Enlisted in Tonypandy, Glamorgan, Wales.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 25 September 1915.

Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, Loos-en-Gohelle, Pas-de-Calais, France, Panel 78 to 83.

WILSON, William

No: 315280. Rank: Corporal.

9th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Blarney, Co. Cork.

Son of Andrew and Christina Wilson of Ballincurrig, Midleton, Co. Cork and 61 Lintburn Street, Galashiels,

England. He was a founding member of the Midleton Corps of Irish National Volunteers.

Enlisted in Cork.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 31 July 1917, age 26.

Buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery, Zonnebeke, Belgium. Grave Reference: LIV. B. 15.

Hello Sean

Many Thanks for posting the Black Watch members,sorry for the delay,it never fails to amaze me the the number of Irish men who have joined the Black Watch and still do.

Hi Joe,

Your very welcome, and thank you again for your kind comments, Pte Harry C Wilson, S/3428, of the Black Watch is buried here in our local military cemetery at Assumption Hill,

Regards,

Sean.

Hi Brendan,

From the information that I can see James is indeed your Great Grand Uncle, his record gives his birth place as Timoleague and birth date as 1st August 1894.

Regards,

Sean

PS I am working on the other names as well. S

Thanks Sean,in truth the name James Hurley is only recent to me.Since the release of the 1901 census we were able to piece together more of the unknown members of the family,when I looked at the name yesterday it got me thinking that there may be a connection of some sorts with this casualty.Will have to do a bit of detective work now I suppose.Thanks again.

Regards

Brendan

P.S I see you mention that there's a record on him,is there much detail available for him?

Hello Sean

Many Thanks for posting the Black Watch members,sorry for the delay,it never fails to amaze me the the number of Irish men who have joined the Black Watch and still do.

George

I know you have a keen interest in the Black Watch so I thought you would be interested in the beautiful memorial which shows Pte Nesbitt's name in St Brendan the Navigator's, Church of Ireland, Bantry.

Regards, Tommy.

post-29775-087497300 1280045119.jpg

George

I know you have a keen interest in the Black Watch so I thought you would be interested in the beautiful memorial which shows Pte Nesbitt's name in St Brendan the Navigator's, Church of Ireland, Bantry.

Regards, Tommy.

post-29775-087497300 1280045119.jpg

]

Hello Tommy

Many thanks for Pte Nesbitt Black Watch,an other one for the list.

Joe

Hi Brendan,

Yes, James Hurley No K23862, his record is on file on the NA site, but I dont have access to it at the moment, I will get more info on his service record during the week and pass it on to you.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,I think I may have another one,I came across a soldier by the name of Thomas Hayes who moved to England from Clonakilty where he was born and then moved to Canada,enlisted and then got killed in 1917,this information has come from a genealogy website and I've contacted the person who posted up the details if they can confirm the details I've sent them.I believe the casualty to be this man http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=618170 ,if I hear anything back I shall let you know.

Regards

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

This mans Canadian service record states that he was born in Liverpool on Patrick’s Day 1881. His brother is given as his next of kin at 160 Great Harwood Street Liverpool. However there was a Hayes family in St Patrick St, Clonakilty in 1901 with a Thomas aged 7, so he could be your Thomas Hayes, Please let me know if you get any more information on him. There are 28 Thomas Hayes listed in the Canadian service but I did not see any with a link to Cork.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,I've since had an email from Thomas' relative living in Canada and she has confirmed that the casualty that I listed above is correct and she has said that Thomas was born in Castlefreke Clonakilty in 1880,he went to England around 1900 to the address in Liverpool which was where her great grandfather Patrick Hayes(Thomas' brother) was living and emigrated from there to Canada enlisting into the army there.She believes he may of lied about his age and for some reason gave his brothers address as been his birth place,this of course may just of been a question misunderstood by Thomas when asked.She also has said that her mother has more papers relating to his service that are not on the Canadian Archives.I will be emailing again so when I find out more I'll let you know.

Regards

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

That is very interesting and understandable; I will be very interested to hear the outcome of your correspondence. If you can get something showing his proper place of birth we can add him to the book. In the meantime if you could get his date and month of birth and parents names I can send away for his birth certificate. I have his attestation papers here (2 pages) so I will e-mail them to you.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,I have received further emails regarding Thomas and at present his relatives in Canada are searching for his records and once obtained will forward them onto me.Thomas' mothers name was Mary Callanan and fathers was John Hayes from Castlefreke Clonakilty,Thomas was born on the 17th of march 1880 and moved to England and then to Canada,his mother was living in Cork city at the time of Thomas' death and she was at that time listed I'm told as his next of kin and he was killed on hill 70.Thomas' brothers and sisters names were Patrick,John,Ellen and Johannah and Thomas' mother may of been a second wife to John Hayes.Again once I have anymore I will pass it on.

Regards

Brendan

Great Information Brendan, Thank you I look forward to that,

regards,

Sean

PS e-mail on the way.