Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

City and County of Cork War Dead

Gerry White

Hi Brendan,

I will check both of them out, cant find John William Salter on the CWGC as you said but this is a link to him in the 1901 census.

Regards,

Sean

Residents of a house 15 in North Street (Skibbereen Urban, Cork)

Can you please let me know where I can purhcase a copy (online) of this book

I hope my ancester Robert Albert Harvison is in this book

thanks

MB

I must say that I was most impressed by the book.I only got a quick look at it at Waterstone's on Patricks Street but was delighted at its contents.The list of soldiers with their personal info etc towards the end of the book was a wonderful touch!Quite touching in fact!

Can you please let me know where I can purhcase a copy (online) of this book

I hope my ancester Robert Albert Harvison is in this book

thanks

MB

Hi MB,I just had a look in my copy and indeed he is.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I will check both of them out, cant find John William Salter on the CWGC as you said but this is a link to him in the 1901 census.

Regards,

Sean

Residents of a house 15 in North Street (Skibbereen Urban, Cork)

Hi Sean,I found a Philip Salter on High Street(I think it was that, from earlier) , it was on the 1911 census.I'm not sure if this was his fathers residence at this time but it didn't show a son living with him.This of course may not be the same Salter family as it seems there were a few Salter families living in that direction in the county.One thing I have noticed with the paper is that on two to three instances a story has been run telling how a family had mourned the loss of there sons only for them to turn up later either wounded or P.O.W and there is even one story of a woman who received notification from the war office that her husband had been killed and she remarried another officer only for her first husband to turn up a year later.I can imagine the look on her face.Will keep the thread informed if I find anymore.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I have a link to John William Salter’s MIC and also a link to a John William Salter listed in the SDGW for 1916, I don’t have access to them at the moment but I will try and get confirmation on the name and if it is our man then we could have a non-com.

Hi MB,

Yes indeed as Brendan said we have Robert A Harvison in the book and we have his parents address as 17 Anglesea Street Cork. In relation to online purchase I am not sure if it is available online as yet, if you continue to have problems obtaining a copy, please let me know and I will make inquires about the cost of posting a copy to you.

Hi 1RMF,

Thank you for your kind comments, I will pass them on to the rest of the project team.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Hi Brendan,

Philip Salter was living with his family including John William in No 15 North Street Skibbereen in 1901 and in the 1911 census they had moved to No 15 on the same street, but John is not listed with them, there is a John Salter aged 19 listed as a boarder in a house in Kimmage Road in Dublin and I think that is our John from County Cork, his age and occupation and religion fits.

Yes that had crossed my mind that he may have been wounded and turned up later, but as I said in the post above there is a John William Salter listed as killed in 1916 in the SDGW but I have no access at the moment, this could be our man as a non- com, however there is one J W Salter listed in the CWGC for 25th August 1916, so at the moment I am not sure, but as soon as we can check that date we will know.

Regards,

Sean

PS Brendan I have nothing new on O'Dwyer at the moment.

Regards.

Sean

Hi Sean I think I may have another one from Dripsey, a Captain Colthurst,will confirm this tomorrow.

Kind regards

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I thought the name Colthurst sounded familiar, we have him in the book listed as below, In relation to Salter and O’Dwyer I will send off to see if their deaths are registered in Roscommon, as you said he Salter may have turned up later so a search of the death records may turn him up.

With O’Dwyer and the other names that you posted i.e Australian name, they may not have death certificates registered in Ireland so I will have to try and dig out a bit more information on them.

Regards,

Sean.

Name: BOWEN-COLTHURST, ROBERT MACGREGOR

Initials: R M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Leinster Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 15/03/1915

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. R. W. T. Bowen-Colthurst, late of Dripsey Castle, Co. Cork; husband of Winifred Bowen-Colthurst, of The Gable House, Layer de la Haye, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 44.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Hi Sean,good,that clears that one up,I looked under Colthurst in the book as his named is referenced that way in the paper.As for the other names,hopefully you can find something on them,no doubt their there somewhere even if it turns out they survived,a later census return would be handy for this but that is a while away yet.I have some more to go through yet and there is one other name mentioned but briefly and I haven't him checked yet so will do it later and post it up if it turns up anything.

Brendan

I have come across guys listed as KIA in the newspapers before but were in fact POWs. The Newspapers rarely corrected this though. It could take up to a year for some POWs to be correctly listed as they could be sent to obscure faraway factories immediately after capture.

Regards.

Tom.

Here are two more,Constables in the RIC stationed for a time in Clonakilty and both on the CWGC however the link for this Daniel Carey does not carry any next of kin details he appears to be the nearest casualty to the date that the article was printed in the Southern Star,October 21st 1916 but would have to be checked, date of death is correct however.Edward Looby is also listed in Tom's book covering the Tipperary War Dead,page 199 but date of death according to the paper if it's the same man is 1916 not 1918? .I'll just double check the CWGC on this one in case I have the wrong Looby.

Regards

Brendan

Edward Looby

http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=2744112

Daniel Carey

http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=1542145

post-48752-059103700 1279050081.jpg

In relation to J W Salter, Jean has just e-mailed me and said that he actualy survived, he was taken as a PoW and wrote to his family later and told them he was alive.

So thats one of the list.

Regards,

Sean

In relation to J W Salter, Jean has just e-mailed me and said that he actualy survived, he was taken as a PoW and wrote to his family later and told them he was alive.

So thats one of the list.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,Jean emailed me and told me about Salter,good to here he made it through.

brendan

Brendan.

I have been putting off re-doing the Nationalist, Tipperary Star and the Nenagh Guardian so tommorrow I am heading into the library and I will begin with 1918. The reason I am re-doing them is that I threw away all the newspaper article photo copies as I would have been snowed under with them otherwise, and its times like this I could have just looked at October 1918 and see what it said about him.

It was a job I was putting on the long finger but hey, if it has to be done then it has to be done and the library is only five minutes away anyway.

If I find anything on him I will post it here tommorrow.

Regards.

Tom.

He is not in the Tipperary Star or the Nenagh Guardian.

I willt ry two others tommorrow.

Regards.

Tom.

Not sure if you have this already but J Hickey, 2998 RIR was accidentally killed by an evening goods train at Glamire Station. A Private Kidd who was with him received severe injuries but seems to have survived.

Tom.

Private John F Hickey, 2nd Bt (Garrison) Royal Irish Regiment, No 2998, formally Royal Munster Fusiliers, No 5712. Born and Resided in Millstreet, brother of Timothy Hickey, died in Ireland, 20th January 1918, aged 51 Years, buried in Millstreet Churchyard, Co Cork.

Regards,

Sean

Sean.

I know he is in the book I just wondered if you had the extra info on him.

Regards.

Tom

Here's another priest that was in Clonakilty who went on to have a colorful military history.

Regards

Brendan

Rev. Joseph Stapleton CC

Deceased

Parish Of Birth

Callan, Co. Kilkenny(Diocese of Ossory)

Colleges Attended

St. Patrick's College, Maynooth Co Kildare, Ireland

Details Of Ordination

St. Partrick's College Chapel, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

21/6/1914

Appointments

Clonakilty CC : 1914 - 1916

Notes

Adopted (pro-tem) from the Diocese of Ossory.

On the 3/5/1916 he volunteered as Chaplain, 1st World War/Flanders, France (1914-1918). At the termination of the First World War he was appointed Chaplain to the British Forces in England, an appointment he held until his retirement in 1945. As Chaplain to the Forces(CF) during World War 11(1939-1945) he landed in Normandy(France) on D-Day(6/6/1944). He was awarded an Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.) for his distingished services in the North African campaign (1940-1943).

Also he was appointed Papal Prelate with the title Monsignor.

For a brief pen-picture of Mgr. Stapleton, we would recommend: The Cross on the Sword, by Tom Johnstone and James Hagerty (1996) p. 204,235,239.

Date Of Death

23/11/1950

Place Of Death

Miltown, Dublin 14 Place Of Burial

Deansgrange Cemetery, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

post-48752-012802200 1279223769.jpg

Tom,

I posted the full information on John F Hickey, for the benefit of the readers of the thread that do not have the Cork book to enable them to put the name of the soldier and his place of burial with the cause of his death and the injuries to Private Kidd.

Brendan,

I have sent off a request for a death certificate search for a Private ODwyer for the first part of 1916, its a long shot but it might turn up.

Regards and thanks to all.

Sean

Hi Sean,I found an article in the paper relating to Pte.Patrick Collins Clonakilty being Killed in action 25th of April 1915 who is listed in The Great Sacrifice,in the same article it states his sister Mrs.Low's husband had also been killed in action and his other sister Mrs.Cave's husband is a P.O.W. Today in a another article I found Mrs.Low taking a neighbour to court and shows that she is living with her father on Patrick's St. Clonakilty in 1915,during the case a reference is made that Mrs Ellen Low's husband had been killed on the 18th of October,the only casualty for the 18th of October 1914 is a Pte Fred Stanley Lowe with no next of kin details.Would you have any details on this one?.The court case article appeared in February 1915.

Brendan

http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=869718

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for that, we dont have anything on him at the moment, but I will add him to the list of names and check him out. Checking the family out on the 1901 and 1911 census returns throws up a couple of questions in relation to the Collins family, i assume it is no 20 Patrick Street Clonakilty, but some of the names are different and Denis the fathers birth place is different, but we will see what turns up.

Regards,

Sean