Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

City and County of Cork War Dead

Gerry White

Hello Cathal,

Thank you for your kind words and I am delighted that you are pleased with the book and the way it is laid out. We on the project team set out to do the men and woman who lost their lives justice by producing something that would last and I think we have achived that goal.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Sean

PS there is a PM on the way.

Dont forget these two;

GREENWOOD, CHARLES RUPERT

Initials: C R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 22/03/1921

Service No: 6446547

N.B.: This casualty has been recently accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Addenda Panel.

Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

Above From Cork.

JONES, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Regiment/Service: King's Shropshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 07/09/1919

N.B.: This casualty has been recently accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Addenda Panel.

Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

Above is from Fermoy, Cork.

Hi Tom,

Where these mens names in the information that you sent me before or are they two new names, I cant find a connection for Greenwood with Cork and I have five Jones family's from the Fermoy area.

As allways very greatfull for your help.

Regards,

Sean

They are in chrisharley9 database. PM him

Also;

PHILLIPS, EDWARD GEORGE MASTERS DUNSCOMBE. His father was from Carrigrohane and Edward was also born in Cork. Confirm with the census.

Tom.

Hi Tom and Joe

Tom, From my inquiries it looks at this stage that William Jones while killed in Fermoy was in fact from Wales, I am still trying to pin down Philips and Greenwood.

Regards,

Sean.

Hi Joe,

I am replying in place of Gerry and he thanks you for your good comments. In relation to your question there are 7 men from the Black Watch listed in the Cork Book, See bellow.

Thank you again for your comments and interest.

Regards Sean

COGAN, John

No: S/9155. Rank: Private.

8th Service Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Ss. Peter and Paul's Parish, Cork City.

Son of Mrs. Ellen Cogan of 3 Evenus Ville, Albert Road, Cork City.

Enlisted in Cork.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 12 October 1917, age 20.

HAMILTON, Ralph

No: 345760. Rank: Private.

14th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Aghada, Co. Cork.

Son of George and Alice Hamilton of 13 Broadway, Cricklewood, London. He previously served in the Royal Highlanders with the service no. 2574.

Enlisted in London.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 02 September 1918, age 20.

Buried in Peronne Communal Cemetery Extension, France. Grave Reference: V. B. 3.

McGLENON, John Patrick

No: S/10135. Rank: Private.

2nd Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Cork.

He previously served in the 3rd Reserve Cavalry Regiment with the service no. 7631.

Enlisted in Liverpool, England.

Killed in action in Mesopotamia, 22 April 1916.

Commemorated on the Basra Memorial, Iraq, Panel 25 and 63.

NESBIT, James Bowden

No: 1236. Rank: Private.

6th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Dublin.

Son of W. H. and Jeannie Nesbit of 34 North Strand Road, Dublin. He was employed as a Customs and Excise Officer in Bantry, Co. Cork prior to enlisting.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 16 July 1917.

Buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais, France. Grave Reference: VII. B. 62.

O'BRIEN, James

No: S/4649. Rank: Private.

9th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Cork.

Enlisted in Tonypandy, Glamorgan, Wales.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 25 September 1915.

Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, Loos-en-Gohelle, Pas-de-Calais, France, Panel 78 to 83.

O'CONNOR, Joseph

No: S/4877. Rank: Private.

9th Battalion, The Black Watch. (Royal Highlanders)

Born in Rathduff, Co. Cork.

Enlisted in Tonypandy, Glamorgan, Wales.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 25 September 1915.

Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, Loos-en-Gohelle, Pas-de-Calais, France, Panel 78 to 83.

WILSON, William

No: 315280. Rank: Corporal.

9th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

Born in Blarney, Co. Cork.

Son of Andrew and Christina Wilson of Ballincurrig, Midleton, Co. Cork and 61 Lintburn Street, Galashiels,

England. He was a founding member of the Midleton Corps of Irish National Volunteers.

Enlisted in Cork.

Killed in action on the Western Front, 31 July 1917, age 26.

Buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery, Zonnebeke, Belgium. Grave Reference: LIV. B. 15.

Sean.

PHILLIPS, EDWARD GEORGE MASTERS DUNSCOMBE was born in Cork, the census will confirm it. He died in ww1.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

I found him this time I was looking for him in the Carrigrohane area on the outskirts of Cork City when in fact he is listed in the Clonakilty area.

Regards,

Sean

Name: PHILLIPS, EDWARD GEORGE DUNSCOMBE

Initials: E G D

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn. attd. 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/11/1916

Additional information: Son of Maj. John Hopkinson Phillips and Georgina Violet Mary Masters Phillips, of Parkville, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. 39.

Cemetery: KEMMEL CHATEAU MILITARY CEMETERY

Hi Tom,

I found him this time I was looking for him in the Carrigrohane area on the outskirts of Cork City when in fact he is listed in the Clonakilty area.

Regards,

Sean

Name: PHILLIPS, EDWARD GEORGE DUNSCOMBE

Initials: E G D

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn. attd. 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/11/1916

Additional information: Son of Maj. John Hopkinson Phillips and Georgina Violet Mary Masters Phillips, of Parkville, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. 39.

Cemetery: KEMMEL CHATEAU MILITARY CEMETERY

Hi Sean,would you have that link for Philips on the census,I can't find it myself.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

This should get you to him, its the 1901 census,

Surname Forename Townland/Street DED County Age Sex Birthplace Occupation Religion Literacy Irish Language Relation to Head of Household Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Phillips Edward Carrigrohane Beg Clonakilty Cork 6 M

Regards,

Sean

Thanks Sean for that, just found him,I see his father was also a Captain in the militia.I wonder where Carrigrohane Beg is around here,I had a look on OSI.ie but didn't see anything,I must check the historic maps on there next and see does it turn up.Just to let you know I'll be heading to Lislee over the weekend and will be in touch with you if I find anything.

Tom you never cease to amaze me with the info you turn up.

Brendan

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst searching the Southern Star I came across an entry for a Pte. John Francis Sullivan,Australian contingent ,killed in action.Mass was said for him in Rosscarbery on the 15th of December 1917.no further details given.Would he be on your database Sean?,there is a John O' Sullivan in the book who died 1915 born in Cork.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

They could be one in the same.

There is no John Francis Sullivan or O’Sullivan in the Australian Archives with a direct connection to Cork, there are a few of John’s and one of Francis. The only one that we could connect with Cork was the John O’Sullivan Service No 622, died 28/06/1915, Born in the parish of Kilmeen near Rosmore, west Cork. The mass in Rosscarbery could have been a memorial mass for him, on the other hand we could have missed him out, is there any other reference in that article to him or any other soldier.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Sean,I'm afraid there's nothing more on him,there are many soldiers mentioned as been killed and most are under each "towns notes section" of the newspaper as was John Francis Sullivan for Rosscarbery.It may be a case as you say of a mass been said for him at a later stage but both dates are out regarding the time of year he was killed.It would suggest that he had been killed around the date of late 1917 the same way others are mentioned.It also gives details of recruiting drives and of men home on leave,at times it mentions soldiers who were taken prisoner and of relatives, for example Collins of Casement Street Clonakilty who was KIA and both his sisters husbands,one been KIA and another prisoner.I've checked soldiers as I find them against the book and so far all are there but there's so much reference in the paper, its like looking for a needle in a hay stack at times.If I find anything more on him I shall let you know.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan,

Yes indeed the dates are out. I will double check the Austrailian archives as well as all the info that I have and the deaths for dec 1917 to see if I can find one that is nearer that date.

Hello Tom,

Thank you for Phillips, he is on the list for the next print. Well done as well on the show yesterday great films, my daughter and grandson were there and they said it was fantastic, it was there first time at one of them.

Thank you again Brendan and Tom,

Kind Regards,

Sean

Sean. Satruday and yesterday was good fun and it was good to see the 'tans get their cumuppance so near to Clonmult. Pictures and video can be seen here

http://new.livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1483

I also had a chat with Eugene and air is now clear.

Regards.

Tom.

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for posting the newspaper cutting, Reading it certainly indicates a death in mid to late 1917. I have 15 Sullivan’s listed in the Australian army as dieing in 1917 but no John Francis but I will check each one, we could also end up with him being a non-com, but we will find out.

Hi Tom,

Two interesting names, Ponsonby and Uniacke, again as before I cant pin them or their direct family down on the census as yet. There were no Ponsonby’s listed as born in Cork and his Cork connection would be through his wife Rita N Longfield, whose family came from Castle Mary in Cloyne, but again we could not confirm her as being born in Cork before the book went to printers.

R Fitzgerald Uniacke, again while there are many listed in the census I could not pin them down, but we will double check all avenues in the coming weeks.

Thank you both again for all your help.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Tom,

In the first single link post 72, are you directing me to Captain Gordon Duff, if so I can’t see anything on him and cant find him on the CWGC site. The next two links, post 73 takes me to Pte Jacky Collins, he is listed in the book. I have now got three at this stage for checking they are, Phillips; Uniacke and Ponsonby is that right with you.

If I am missing something in the links or if you have anything more on Duff just let me know.

Regards,

Sean

Captain Lachlan Gordon-Duff, the only Captain Gordn-Duff to die in ww1.

GORDON-DUFF, LACHLAN

Initials: L

Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders

Unit Text: 3rd Bn. attd. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 24/10/1914

Additional information: Son of Thomas Duff Gordon-Duff, D.L., J.P., C.B.E., and Pauline Tennant (his wife), of Drummuir and Park House, Cornhill; husband of Lydia Dorothy Muriel Gordon-Duff, of Drummuir and Park House, Cornhill, Banffshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. K. 1.

Cemetery: RUE-DU-BOIS MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX

The John Collins you have in the book from the 2nd Munsters was 35 (not 19) and does not show any Skibbereen connections.

Regards.

Tom.