Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

City and County of Cork War Dead

Gerry White

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information on Gordon-Duff we will check him out. In relation to Collins we also have Patrick John Collins, No 10332, 2nd Batt RMF, aged 19, son of Cornelius and Sarah Collins of Windmill, Skibbereen, this is probably your man,

Regards,

Sean.

So Patrick John Collins was Jacky? I understand now.

Regards.

Tom.

I happened to come across Jacky Collins the other day whilst searching the paper so had a look for him again and here he is

post-48752-1278522865.jpg

That confirms what Sean says.

Regards.

Tom.

Hi Brendan and Tom,

Thank you for that information, reading letters like that brings it home to you the horrendous conditions that those men lived and died in and the terrible aftermath of their deaths and how incidents are connected in war, below is the entry for Daniel Donoghue, 26 years of age, who wrote the letter to Private Collins family, he is also listed in the Cork Book.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Name: DONOGHUE

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 10/11/1917

Service No: 8516

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 143 to 144.

Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Hi Sean,I hadn't checked Daniel's details to be honest in relation to that letter,thanks for adding that.It must of been dreadful for any relative to have to hear of a loved one been killed.I remember reading in the first booklet that the Bandon committee brought out that had soldiers letters printed in it which gave details of other soldiers who had been killed with them,can't of been easy for any man to carry on seeing a friend fall near them.Sean could you pass this snippet on to Billy Good,came across this one relating to a priest from Ardfield dated September 18th 1915,a further article mentions a successor being found.He may be another for the list to the Chaplaincy section of the book.

post-48752-1278580441.jpg

Thanks Brendan, That is on its way to Billy.

Just an update in relation to new names for the Cork Book, Thanks to the response from members on this thread alone, we now have 11 names that must be checked out for inclusion in future reprints of the book, as soon as I have full confirmation of their connection with Cork I will post the result here.

In the meantime time if any further names turn up or any forum member has any new information, the project committee would be very grateful for their input. As I have said on many occasions a project of this size and importance is only successful because of the help of many.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Sean

More for you.

O'LEARY, RICHARD, wardroom steward, United States Navy.

Enlisted: New York, N. Y., May 1, 1918.

Died: Naval hospital, New York, N. Y., August 9, 1918.

Cause: Pneumonia.

Next of kin: Father, Timothy O'Leary, Cork, Ireland.

REGAN, JEREMIAH, seaman, second class, IJnited States Naval Reserve Force.

Enrolled: Boston, Mass., March 15, 1918.

Died: Naval hospital, Pelham Bay Park, N. Y., October 6, 1918.

Cause: Pneumonia, lobar.

Next of kin: Mother, Ellen Regan, Gurteen Omahon Bandon, Cork, Ireland.

REGAN, MICHAEL JOHN, seaman, second class, United States Naval Reserve Force.

Enrolled: Boston, Mass., March 14, 1918.

Died: Volunteer hospital' New York, N. Y., May 8, 1918.

Cause: Pneumonia, lobar.

Next of kin: Mother, Ellen Regan, Gurteen Omahon Bandon, Cork, Ireland.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for those names, they are in fact in the American section of the book, but when we searched for them we found them as O’Regan with the O.

We found it very difficult to find information on the American service men, we tried all the known databases which is how we came up with the 36 names that we have in that section. We would very much appreciate that if any forum member comes across an American serviceman’s name with a connection to Cork that like Tom they would post the name here for us to check it out, if it is in the book already that is fine but it could just as easy be a name that we missed.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Sean

Hi Tom,

Lieut Kennedy as you know was born in Limerick and is buried in the Cork Military Cemetery, so as he had no family connections with Cork he is not in our book, he is however listed in my own survey of the Cork Military Cemetery which I completed last year and which I donated to The Cork City and County Archives for their records.

In Relation to Lieut Norman Galbraith Silk, his name came up last year during our search, however as far as I could see at that time there was no family connection to Cork for his family or his wife’s which is why he was not put in the book, no birth certificate could be found for him as being born in Cork. My conclusion at that time was that Rushbrook as you know was a base for Navy Ships and for repairs and that he may have been born aboard ship, this in itself would not give him a strong link to Cork or any Cork family which is why he is not in our book. However If you have or find any solid information on him with Cork connections or if you can pin him down in the census please post the information and we will check him out again and put him in the future print.

As always thank you for your help.

Regards,

Sean

Hello Sean.

So if a man is not from Cork and died during ww1 and buried in Cork he is not included in the book?

I am sure you can see where confusion will set in. Can you please tell me the criteria for inclusion.

Regards.

Tom.

Hello Tom,

There should be no confusion what so ever, as the project team made it clear from the outset the criteria was and still is “any service man or woman born in Cork city or county or resided in Cork City or County prior to or during the war years and whose death was attributed to that conflict” they would be included in our Cork book.

We can’t take on the mantle for service men or woman from other counties, it would be envisaged that they would be included in their respective Roll’s as they will hopefully be published in the future.

You can imagine that with 423 WW1 burials in County Cork that if these were to be included then the parameters of the book would have to be extended to such a degree that the book would never have been published.

From a personal point of view I think the project team got the Cork Book spot on, we are getting very good reviews about its content and structure and I believe it is being put forward by the publishers for some award.

In relation to the 423 WW1 burials in county Cork I have been working on recording those for the last two years and hopefully it will be finished late next year, at that stage all connections with Cork should be covered, but as we know some new information will always turn up.

Regards.

Sean

The book was well put together, full of great information. I wish you all the best of luck with it.

Regards.

Tom.

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your good wishes. With all the information that has been and is being published, both old and more importantly the new information, the whole country should be covered in the next decade, your own contributions included in this of course, as your three books are listed in the “Further Research” section of the Cork book. If with each new publication links are given to other publications of a similar interest then all WW1 information pertaining to Ireland will finally be recorded.

Regards,

Sean

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your good wishes. With all the information that has been and is being published, both old and more importantly the new information, the whole country should be covered in the next decade, your own contributions included in this of course, as your three books are listed in the "Further Research" section of the Cork book. If with each new publication links are given to other publications of a similar interest then all WW1 information pertaining to Ireland will finally be recorded.

Regards,

Sean

You'll have to make that four books in the Further Research section Sean,Tom's book on the Offaly War Dead is also now available which Tom I'd like to add that again well done and great to see another one covered.I picked up a copy a few weeks back and I'd like to wish you every success with it.

Brendan

Thanks Sean and Brendan.

As you know it is my wish that all Irishmen who died in ww1 should be remembered in a book or online database (i.e.Kerry War Dead) by 2014. 100 years is too long.

Waterford, Clare, Kilkenny, and Laoise are also completed. So now I hope the lads north of Laoise will do their bit and compile their own county databases or books. If anyone here fancies taking it on we will all help you., and in August 2014 we will all have something to celebrate.

Do you know that the Irish Goverment has put aside money to remember 2016 but not a single solitary cent is budgeted for 2014, 'nuff said.

Regards.

Tom.

Found this Private in the U.S forces died June 15th 1918 ,Frank Cunningham, Balymore, Ireland.This is only a possiblity as there is no place called Balymore,whats coming up is Ballymore and there seems to be a Ballymore in Kildare,Donegal,Meath and Cork.

Brendan

You have your work cut out for you Brendan;-

Bally, baile, this can mean a town, village, cluster of houses, townland, place, spot, homestead, enclosure, dwelling, residence, habitation, patrimony, settlement or situation.

More, mór, mhór, big or great.

Ballymore

(paróiste dlícivil parish)

Ard MhachaArmagh

Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

Ard MhachaArmagh

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

CiarraíKerry

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

CorcaighCork

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

CorcaighCork

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

Dún na nGallDonegal

Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

DoireDerry

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

GaillimhGalway

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

GaillimhGalway

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(toghroinnelectoral district)

An IarmhíWestmeath

Ballymore

An IarmhíWestmeath

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland, bailetown)

An IarmhíWestmeath

Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

An IarmhíWestmeath

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(toghroinnelectoral district)

Loch GarmanWexford

Ballymore

Loch GarmanWexford

Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

Loch GarmanWexford

Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

Loch GarmanWexford

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

LiatroimLeitrim

Béal Átha Móir/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

An LongfortLongford

An Baile Mór/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

Maigh EoMayo

Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

An MhíMeath

Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

Ros ComáinRoscommon

Baile Mhóir/​Ballymore

(baile fearainntownland)

Tiobraid Árann

Best of luck with it though.

Regards.

Tom.

Brendan,

In both the 1901 and 1911 census returns the Cunningham name along with the Ballymore area, appears to be associated mainly with Westmeath, Kildare and Roscommon, which could indicate that Frank may be from one those areas. I know it’s a long shot but you never know.

Regards,

Sean

I said i'd post him up on the off chance.Tom that certainly throws up lots more possibilities on the name of Balymore,with that alone it shows that Pte Cunningham could be from anywhere truth be told.Sean can you tell me have you any info on a Pte O'Dwyer from Newtown Rosscarbery,the article below in the paper was published on the 30th of June 1916, there is a Pte Francis O'Dwyer from Midleton listed in the book giving his parents as been from Midleton killed in action 15th September 1916.

Brendan

post-48752-017772300 1278949477.jpg