Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

City and County of Cork War Dead

Gerry White

Hi,

Just to let the members of the forum know that a book detailing the war dead from the city and county of Cork in Ireland, that was being compiled over the last two years has gone to the printer.

The book is an illustrated hardback with over 600 pages and is called 'A GREAT SACRIFICE - Cork Servicemen who died in the Great War'

It is being published by the Evening Echo Publications here in Cork, and was part of a project sponsored by the City and County Cork Vocational Education Committees. There are details of over 3,700 servicemen recorded in the book and the criteria used in their selection was that they had to be: Born in Cork, resident in Cork prior to enlistment or married into a Cork familiy.

The book also also includes essays written by members of the project team (some of whom are members of the Great War Forum) on the following subjects:

The Outbreak of the War

Cork and The Great War

The Irish Regiments

Trench Warfare

The Last Absolution of the Munsters

The Naval War

Cork Workingmen's Bands and the Great War

Cork Airmen in the Great War

Cork Chaplains

British Gallantry and Campaign Medals

The Silver War Badge and the Memorial Plaque and Scroll

Irish and Foreign War Memorials

There is also a chart which provides details about the Royal Navy and Mercantile Marine ships that were lost at sea with Cork service personnel on board, a detailed chronology which lists the major military and political events which occured both in Cork and the different theatres of the war, and an appendix which lists Cork civilians who died in the war.

Gerry White

Co-editor

Well done Gerry, another War Dead book. Soon all Ireland will be covered...finally!!

Just one itchy tichy question that you neglected to answer, when it is coming out?

Regards.

Tom.

Well done Gerry, another War Dead book. Soon all Ireland will be covered...finally!!

Just one itchy tichy question that you neglected to answer, when it is coming out?

Regards.

Tom.

Hopefully around seven weeks Tom - and it will be an addition to all the great work you have done!!!

Gerry

Thank you Gerry, and I wish ye the very best of luck with it. Cork is after all the Capital of Ireland.

Tom (A Dub).

could you confirm if any photos of the men are in the book and an ISBN

Thanks

There are a selection of photos of some of the casualties. I'm not too sure of the ISBN number but I will check on that tomorrow and get back to you.

Gerry

Thank you Gerry, and I wish ye the very best of luck with it. Cork is after all the Capital of Ireland.

Tom (A Dub).

Many thanks Tom - and thats a very gracious statement coming form a Dub!!!

Lots of mention of men. Any women in it? If someone had contacted me I would have been happy to have provided a full list of women with a Cork association.

Congratulations Gerry,

Looking forward to it. btw i always thought Liverpool was the real capital of Ireland?

Fearghal, ( a dub in exile in Donegal, looking forward to the U21 football final next weekend!)

As a Fingalian I think we fellow Dubs can allow the Corkmen their fantasy.

Regards.

Tom.

Lots of mention of men. Any women in it? If someone had contacted me I would have been happy to have provided a full list of women with a Cork association.

Hi Jim,

Yes, there are a number of women listed - both military and civilian.

Gerry

Me again Jim,

Forgot to ask if you have a Cork connection yourself?

G.

Well done Gerry, looking forward to reading that.

Peter ( Dub as well)

I'll have to put this on my list of books to acquire.

Capital of Ireland is I......... or if you can get past the Baile/Hurdles - Blackpool ;-)

Well done for producing this publication!

Me again Jim,

Forgot to ask if you have a Cork connection yourself?

G.

No Cork connection. But my research on WW1 serving female casualties has a search facility and I could have provided names with any connection to Cork.

No Cork connection. But my research on WW1 serving female casualties has a search facility and I could have provided names with any connection to Cork.

Pity I didn't we didn't establish communications beforehand Jim!

Hopefully we have included them all. However, in the event of a new name turing up after the book is published, Echo Publications have agreed to print a parchment page at the end of each year that can be included in the book.

Very interested in yourt own research though as the women casualties of the Great War are quite often forgotten about.

Gerry

I must say I am really loking froward to this book. I have holidayed in West Cork for the past 15 years and have photographed and researched a number of soldiers on various memorials across the county. The book is well overdue, and good luck with the launch and sales. I will certainly be getting a copy.

Regards, Tommy.

PS: I am also sorry to disappoint you all but everyone in Co Down knows but won't admit it that the village of "Seapatrick" is the centre of the known universe! Surely our patron Saint can't have been wrong!

I must say I am really loking froward to this book. I have holidayed in West Cork for the past 15 years and have photographed and researched a number of soldiers on various memorials across the county. The book is well overdue, and good luck with the launch and sales. I will certainly be getting a copy.

Regards, Tommy.

PS: I am also sorry to disappoint you all but everyone in Co Down knows but won't admit it that the village of "Seapatrick" is the centre of the known universe! Surely our patron Saint can't have been wrong!

Thanks Tommy,

Having grown up in West Cork I must agree that it is a lovely place for a holiday. You are of course correct in saying that the book is long overdue. Hopefully it will go some way towards acknowledging the sacrifice made by the servicemen from Cork ( and their families!) in the Great War and also provide plenty of information for those interested in the conflict itself or in Cork local history.

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Just to let you know that the names of the woman with Cork connections that you refer to have been verified and put in the Cork Book, you actually sent them to me last year and I forwarded the names to Gerry for checking, so thank you for your help. A BIG THANK YOU also to Tommy and Tom and to all the other forum members who helped us along the way and also for their interest.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Sean, why not tell them the book is coming out on June 2nd? I will be at the launch to support ye.

Regards.

Tom.

Very well done Gerry. A fantastic achievement.

Susan.

well done!

Hi Tom,

I thought the date had been mentioned already, the launch is actualy on the 1st June in the City Hall Cork and I am delighted that you will be there, if you have not already sent your postal address to Gerry, just send it to me by e-mail and I will arrange for the invitation to go direct to you. This invitation is open to any forum member who would like to be there and full details will be available.

Regards,

Sean

Good man Sean.

Actually Eugene was the one who phoned me.

Looking forward to it. Its getting nearer the time when all these Irish heroes will have their name on paper.

Regards.

Tom.

I look foreward to getting a copy of the book ..I can trace my grandfather and great grandfather back to CORK ..

my son visits CORK on a regular basis and was there a couple of weeks ago ..ill -health stops my wife and i from travelling to the city

just maybe some relative may be mentioned in the book and we can further our research of the family ..thank for the info ..

Hi Francon,

If you post the names here and when they died I will check to see if they are in it. If they were born here in Cork or resided here before or during WW1 they should be in the book.

Regards,

Sean