Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worcester Regiment

moysiegirl

Iam new and very vague!!Iam very interested in WW1(and WW2)and was chuffed to eventually find in my family history box 2 photos of what appears to be soldiers from a Worcester Regiment,as i have spent weeks studying various sites and comparing the uniform.I realise that as my scanner has died there is going to be problems without a photo to show what Im trying to describe.I have found similar photos of the uniform on Worcester Reg site,dated 1908.The names Im lokking for dont seem to be on any lists,Apart from Charles Simons,reg num 1834 rank pte,but thats frm Oxford and Bucks light infantry,and the family are all from Worcester.My problem is (one of many!!)that one of the lads has a "squishey"cap thing which Ive not seen on any photos,and the angle is such that i cant see the badge.No one is alive to quiz,and what confuses me is the photos are taken from a studio in Exeter and the other is Oxford.Am I barking up the wrong tree with the worcesters?

Any help appreciated,Thanks,Moysiegirl :unsure:

Well, Moysiegirl, I don't think any of us yet have much of a chance of advising you on the relevance of the Worcesters to your family. Could you post here their names, dates of birth and where they came from. I'm sure we can sort you out from there.

Well, Moysiegirl, I don't think any of us yet have much of a chance of advising you on the relevance of the Worcesters to your family. Could you post here their names, dates of birth and where they came from. I'm sure we can sort you out from there.

Thank you for prompt reply,there are two that I think are too old,as these lads on the photo look quite young,Alfred William Simons,b 1879,Flyford Flavell,worcs,Thomas John Simons,b 1881,same,then William Simons.b1883,same,Charles Simons,b1885,same and Hubert George Simons,b1888,same.Their parents are William simons and Sarah ann.Thought i had found William on ancestry,but it was the wrong parents.I dabbled a bit with the Boer war,due to the dates,but met a blank!Mum thoght they might be Boys brigade,much to my disappointment!but searched relevant sites and discounted that!!there are no names on the photos,which isnt a help.

There are 2 x Hubert G Simons on the National Archives MIC's.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

On Ancestry, the WO1 Coldstream Guards is listed wrongly as Herbert G Simons.

Thanks,you are brilliant!going to try and do the photo on here tomorrow,and maybe then I will find if the uniform is the right one,and then I have a name for a face,Chuffed! :rolleyes:

How about trying to photo the photos instead of scanning.

Alan

I will have a go tomorrow,fingers crossed!!thanks for the idea!what a friendly helpful bunch you are on here!

On the photo, do either of them have Chevrons (stripes) on their upper arms? or a badge on their lower arm just above the cuff? By the latter I mean similar to the man seated in the photo, by the former, the man standing at his right shoulder.

http://www.thelincolnshireregiment.org/beeton/rsm.jpg

Sam

On the photo, do either of them have Chevrons (stripes) on their upper arms? or a badge on their lower arm just above the cuff? By the latter I mean similar to the man seated in the photo, by the former, the man standing at his right shoulder.

http://www.thelincolnshireregiment.org/beeton/rsm.jpg

Sam No,I was puzzled by the lack of anything on sleeves,could this mean the photos were taken to celebrate their enlisting?

Moysiegirl. Just a wee pointer, when replying to a post use the add reply box not the "reply box, this does away with repeating the previous post which uses a lot of the forum bandwith. Hope you see what I mean. Regards. Ralph.

Here the family history:

William SYMONDS (b 1845, Stoulton, Worcs) m Sarah GREGG {b 1847, Pinvin Worcs) in Worcester / 6c / 398 / 2qt / 1867

1871 living in Portway house, Flyford Flavell, Pershore, Worcs - SYMONDS

1881 living in Village, Flyford Flavell, Pershore, Worcs - SIMMONS / SIMMONDS

1891 living in Flyford flavell, Pershore, Worcs - SIMMONS

1901 living in Flyford Flavel, Abberton, Worcs - SIMMONS

1911 living in Flyford Flavel Worcester - SIMONS

Children are:

Mary J - 1868 - Worsc

Alice A - 1870 - Worcs

Fanny A - 1872 - Flyford

Agnes A - 1875 - Flyford

Sarah A - 1875 - Flyford

Harriet A - 1877 - Flyford

Alfred Wiliam - 1879 - Flyford

Thomas John - 1881 - Flyford

William - 1883 - Flyford

Charles - 1885 - Flyford

Herbert George - 1888 - Flyford

I think all the girl's A's are for Ann (after Mom)

Dad was a Road Labourer, but Im surprised that he had any strength left :-)

Grant

Names as per Birth register:

Alfred William SIMMONS - Pershore 6c 394 1st 1879

Thomas John SIMMONS - Pershore 6c 365 2nd 1881

William SIMMONS - Pershore 6c 386 1st 1883

Charles SIMMONS - Pershore 6c 868 4th 1884

Hubert George SIMMONS - Pershore 6c 352 2nd 1888

Lots of choice on TNA - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...rst%5Fdate+desc

Grant

Name change again:

1911:

Thomas SIMONS, married (Ada) for 3yrs with a 1yr old Daughter, living at 13 Powells Row, Worcs - Tram Conductor

William SIMONS, married (Bertha) for 5yrs, 2 sons, 1 daughter, living at Evesham Road, Dagtail, Crabbs Cross, Redditch, Warwickshire - Carter At Needle Factory

Charles SIMONS - single, living with parents - Invalid At Home

Cant see Alfred nor Hubert

If they look that young, could it be the boar war, cause of charles being invalid ?

Grant

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help,Im off to get a memory stick for phone to try and get these photos on here,so hopefully it will become clear,instead of my inane woffle!

Thanks Grant for giving me so much info,which i had actually got,but it made me happy that i can actually do the fam hist bit,thats how ive fallen into this part(military)you did however,give me old Williams wifes maiden name,which i hadnt got!you said you were surprised he had the energy for work what with all the kids,He also built his own organ from scratch,but thats another story with no military bits!I had gone down the boer war path for Charles,and his invalid bit,I fd his death cert for 1912,but cant afford to send away for it at moment,but need to find the cause of death,to confirm.He was actually working at a bakers in 1901,on Silver st,worcester,where there was a recruitment building!

hope I pressed the right button this time Rjaydee!

post-54778-1271951272.jpgHere is one of my gt gt uncles,the photos were too large to do,and are very faded but hope someone can help identify the uniform,will do the other one next if this works!

post-54778-1271951758.jpg

Here we are,the other one,god hopeless with technology!fingers crossed

Moysie, they look like Worcester uniforns to me, but I am not an expert in this field in any sense of the word. From the photos page of Worcestershire Reg web site, Private Phillips looks to have the same tunic, facings and side cap as your men, but othe other photos suggest that the cuffs of the Worcesters were not plain round, but had a point. Some of the photos on that page show tunics with no white beading, but most show beading, , cuffs all have points, whether with beading or full fill. So I am doubtfull if they are Worcesters, but may well be, as often different battalions wore/wear different facings on the uniforms.

The beading on the photos is a different colour that the collar facings. !

Pity the belt buckles are not so clear.

Alan

Yes thats what the problem is,the photos in real life are not clear either,even tried with a magnifying glass and the belt buckle is not obvious at all..thanks for helping though,I am puzzled at the lack of chevrons etc and realise I probably have no chance of finding out!

I have another branch of the family who were from worcester,and later moved to north Wales(where most of my family were from,but got frustrated with the Jones ,who were all miners)they were Jelfs,so wondering if they were put in the Simons family photos as well,and the soldiers could after all be Jelfs.

Will go and try that line,but still feel they are Simons.I will have to send off my cash to get the death certificate for Charles Simons who after being cited as Invalid in 1911 census,seems to have died in 1912.

Onwards and upwards!!?

• 7 years later...

Hello..i am new to this website but very excited as you are talking about my ancesters too! Herbert George Simmons is my Gt Grandfather! His daughter Alice, my Grandmother recently died aged 93 years.. would love to know if you solved the puzzle on the photographs.. or even have any other info/photos of our shared family Tree.

• Admin

Welcome Julie. Moysiegirl hasn’t been on the Forum since 2010. If she still has the same email address as the one she registered with, you can try sending her a private message by clicking on the name and then the message option.

Good luck!

Michelle 

Will have a look around on this. I live not far from Flyford Flavell. Played them at cricket many a time. Terrible pitch or used to be. Batting - you did not know whether it was going to hit you on the toe or fly over your head. But I digress.

The uniforms look pre-ww1; possibly late 19th century. Post again later.

Edited by Mark1959

Alfred William disappears after the 1881 census. There is a death registered 4th Quarter 1881 in Pershore for Alfred William Simmons b 1879. So I am afraid he died in infancy. The 1911 census showing just the parents say they had 11 children 9 of which living in 1911. So Alfred appears to be one of the 2 dead by then. So he cannot be either of the men in the pics.

Hubert George (Herbert?) as indicated above born 1888. The Coldstream Guards man referred to almost certainly cannot be HG as he was a Boer War veteran. HG was born 1888. The Boer War was 1899-1902

One of the pics enhanced

pic2.jpg.a2cbe0d390cfed5a87d1bdae77a0dc19.jpg

Charles. Cannot find his birth reg. as indicated above. But have find a naval record for a Charles Simons. Shows birth date 17/10/1885 (day is obscure but think 17). Baker. Born Pershore (as all the best people are!!) . Seems to join Navy 21/2/1906. He is discharged 8/6/10 I think. There is a note "Invd Tuberculosis". There is another remark 16/6/10 but unreadable. This fits in with the 1911 census at home with his parents as an invalid. There is a death reg for a Charles Simons 1Q, 1912 in Pershore. So again if we believe it is the right Charles he could not have served in WW1. Neither of the above uniforms look naval to me - so not likely to be Charles - but no expert

edit - Pershore is where the reg. office was for the area. 

Edited by Mark1959

• 1 year later...

Evening,  I am the Great Great Grandson of William and Sarah and therefore very interested to stumble upon this record and to read mention of a Photograph - which of course I would love to see and share with my family.. My Line is :
William Simmons - Great Great Grandafther

William Simons (sic) Jnr, of Dagtail, Crabbs  Cross Redditch, m Bertha Freeman (Great Grandparents)

Albert Edward Skinner and Winifred May Simons (Grandparents) of Redditch

Clive Skinner (Father)

I have an image of Gt Gt Grandfather William the road worker, sitting alongside an organ which he built himself at his home Plum Tree Cottage, Old Hill Flyford Flavell, together with an article from the Musical Times 1911 about it. (Not sure how to attach it, or I would !

Absolutely coincidentally, I was very interested to see the family link back to the Worcester Regiment, as a few years ago I was the Council official at Redditch Borough Council, responsible for the Freedom of the Borough Ceremony and March through celebration for the Mercian Regiment, who were selected because they were the closest match to the old Worcestershire Regiment!   Amazing to discover so much of interest!   Regards to you all, Steve Skinner.