Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles Flag blunder

Soren

Yes, very strange no flag draped on his coffin - whether Brit or Australian if in doubt I would have thought the Union Flag.

Regards,

Martin

That could upset republicans tho....

Hmm, you're probably right there! However that boy died under our colours....Seems an incredible oversight though, imagine what would be said in Wootton Bassett.

Regards,

Martin

I concur, I'm sure that there was debate about it at higher levels, most notably the ghost soldiers looking down from above

Incidentally, the soldier was one of ours wasnt he? Have any German soldiers been laid to rest? Just a thought....

I've just noticed this, I attended the first burial however was more occupied by watching the soldier being buried to notice this:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...%26tbs%3Disch:1

Definitely an inaccurate Australian flag. Who manufactured it I wonder? I bet they've been struck off the list. Even the little massed produced ones can depict the Southern Cross correctly and do not have the Union Flag upside down (although from now on I'll be checking more thoroughly). It has now been recitifed apparently and the correct flag is flying at Fromelles. Youtube gives some freeze frames of the blunder.

Shame for both accounts hard to believe. :angry: :angry:

MC

Having dealt with our Minister for Veterans Affairs on several occasions, I am not surprised that he did not notice such an obvious error. I doubt he even glanced at the flag. Key performance indicators for today's politicians are headlines and photo opportunities. He may have looked up if there was a camera on the flag pole. Immediately pointing the finger at the Army is also unsurprising to me. Scotty.

Simply unacceptable. The flag, more than anything else, was the symbol for which they fought and under which they fought.

Jonathan