Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did the bells stop?

Kitty VAD

Does anyone know?

obviously during WW2 the bells were stopped unless the invasion started, but was this the case in WW1 also?

Obscure I know... :rolleyes:

regards

K

I believe there was a marked reduction, but they didn't stop altogether. I know All Saints in the centre of Northampton rang their bells to honour the fallen at their All Saints Day service in 1914. However, bell-ringing was mostly a male pursuit, and here was another aspect of daily life in which women took the men's places during the war.

A bit more for you Kate, from my notes into one of my King's College Chapel Choir men, John Maddrell, the son of the Vicar of Gulval in Cornwall:

Canon Maddrell was inducted to the parish of Gulval on 26 February 1913, when the newly expanded peal of 8 bells rang, one of the ringers being Joseph Hurworth, whose name would also be carved on the war memorial. ...The bell-team was a keen one, popular with visiting campanologists. One London ringer had a very ebullient personality, whose enthusiasm would have horrified Canon Maddrell, but for the fact the latter never arrived in church until two minutes before the service. This was during the early war years, when lady ringers began to be recruited into the bell-team. (Hurworth left the team in early 1914).

This does not quite answer your question, but it does seem to imply that the bells continued to ring - at least in Gulval!

I seem to recall that they were rung to celebrate the advances made at the Battle of Cambrai.

Edwin

ps - The 'recall' is not from personal memory, but from reading..... although my present age is is twice as far from my birth as that battle was!

I've just remembered looking at The Times archive for Nov 12th '18 in connection with a thread on when conscription stopped Click the announcement given strongly indicates that bell ringing had been forbidden (maybe sanctioned for one off special celebrations ?)

NigelS

I expect the tolling bell was rung at funerals.

When the news of the death of EDWARD ABSALOM PRATT reached St. Columb the Tenor bell of the Parish Church was tolled on Wednesday evening & the flag on the tower flown at half-mast.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=683164

Kath.

I think it was more of a general prohibition against noise that might be audible to a Zeppelin looking for targets in the dark.

In March 1916 the Acting Chief Constable of the West Riding of Yorkshire - Mr. Quest - issued a notice outlining the precautions to be followed in case of a raid by hostile aircraft. When enemy aircraft are spotted at night the public will be warned by reducing the gas pressure to a minimum. When this is observed the following instructions must be obeyed:

“All lights must be extinguished and the gas turned off at the meter. Lights must remain extinguished until daylight, or until notice is given that the danger is past. Candles only may be used, but no lights must be visible from outside. All street lamps will be extinguished. Bull’s eye lanterns, electric torches, flash lights, bicycle lamps, etc., are not permitted to be used, and the striking of matches is strictly prohibited.

“Before leaving lock-up shops and other like premises for the night, the gas must be turned off. Persons must not congregate in the streets, but seek cover, and not stand near windows. Outside doors should be closed, but not locked, and windows should be closed to prevent the admission of noxious gasses.

“Bombs of any description must be left untouched, and information given to the police. Vehicular traffic will be held up. The sounding of buzzers, hooters, bugles, and the ringing of bells, etc., is forbidden. Congregations in places of worship and audiences at places of entertainment should disperse and proceed home. Workpeople in factories are advised to take shelter until the danger is past. Persons should not telephone to the police station except in matters of great urgency.”

Tony.

Many thanks all, fascinating!!

The sounding of buzzers, hooters, bugles, and the ringing of bells, etc., is forbidden. Congregations in places of worship and audiences at places of entertainment should disperse and proceed home. Workpeople in factories are advised to take shelter until the danger is past. Persons should not telephone to the police station except in matters of great urgency

Keep calm and carry on it would seem!

Kate