Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8th Middlesex (167th Brigade)

Ian Underwood

Hello all, I'm turning my attention to the study of my Great Uncle Charles who's featured in my signature and who's picture is my avatar. He was wounded on 17th of Sept 1916, which would have placed him at The Battle of Flers-Courcelette. If anyone can fill me in on what his brigade, or better still his Battalion was doing on that day I'd be most appreciative.

Secondly, as I've surmised in my signature, he died on 11th April 1917 of wounds received in what I believe was the first Battle of the Scarp. His records are sketchy, but it does however note he was wounded during action 'C5147'. Any idea what this particular action was?

Thanks in advance, Ian.

From the British Official History:

'...air reports gave the (XIV) corps commander a more accurate idea of the situation upon the right of the Guards, where... very few troops had penetrated beyond the first objective. Lord Cavan, therefore, cancelled the 1.30pm attack, and just before 2 pm informed the 6th Division that Straight Trench must be attacked from the north at 7.30pm after an hour's bombardment by the heavy artillery. The troops of the 6th Division which had been ordered to deliver the afternoon attack were stopped in time; but the 167th Brigade, on the immediate right of that division, was unable to get orders to the 1/8th Middlesex. This battalion, which had great difficulty in moving forward to Leuze Wood over a heavily shelled area, endeavoured to attack at 1.40pm through the 1/1st London and 1/7th Middlesex, but lost heavily to no purpose, and was eventually withdrawn to Leuze Wood. The attack was checked by help of the 21st Bavarian (Division) (left of the 5th Bavarian Division).'

Robert

You'll find some info on this unit in my book Combles in the Battleground Europe series. See:

Combles Book

They were in action around Bouleaux and Leuze woods about this time.

Thanks lads, that's just what I wanted. Without the appropriate texts at hand, that info would've taken me a while to find. Now if anyone can supply info on the battalion at Arras I'd be doublely pleased.

Ian.

Ian

From 56th Div History

"The attack..on the morning of the 9th April was on a front of 15 miles, from Croisilles to the northern foot of the Vimy Ridge. It included between 4 & 5 miles of the Hindenburg line.

The 56th Division attacked with the 167th brigade on the right, having 3rd Londons and 8th Middx in line......

Heavy showers....

The assault started at 07:45....

The 1st phase of the attack was the capture of Neuville Vitasse.....the 8th Middx were at first delayed by uncut wire, but soon entered the ruined village. Just before reaching the site of the church they found themselves confronted by a pocket of determined Germans with several machine guns. Working around the flanks of this pocket, bombers and riflemen suceeded in enveloping the enemy, so that just before 11 oclock 68 survivors surrendered with 4 machine guns. The Bn then cleared the rest of Neuville Vitasse and were in touch with the 3rd Londons....."

There does not seem to be any more 8th Middx specific for the time in question although there is quite a bit more about 167th Brigade.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy. Judging by your signature, you too have lost a relative from the Middlesex Regiment at Arras.

ian.

Ian

3 relatives fought at Arras in 1917, one relative lost, one MM won. Bear in mind that the Queen Vics were part of 169th Brigade which were also part of 56th Division.

If you want me to go through the divisional history for any other periods.........

Regards

Andy