Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Gambardiers?

Greenwoodman

A book I'm dipping into has Mark Severn's "The Gambardiers" (pub. Ernest Benn, 1930) listed in the Bibliography. I'm unable to find out about his book, either on the book sites or google.

It is supposedly a Great War ref - came from Johnson's "1918 - The Unexpected Victory".

Can anyone help with an idea of its contents?

"Mark Severn" was an officer called Lushington who served with a Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery on the Western Front; the book appears to be a partially fictionalised account of his war service a la Graves and Sassoon. It is a good account in fact, and one of the officers who served with him at Arras was Edward Thomas, the war poet. He appears in the book under a different name.

I don't have my copy of the book to hand, but I am sure I have made a note of which SB RGA it was.

Last time I saw this book on a book list it was over £100, which surprised me as I didn't think it was that rare - so that means it is probably about due for a reprint by N&MP!

Got my copy in front of me now:

Mark Severn The Gambardier: Giving some account of the Henavy and Siege Artillery in France 1914-1918 (London, Ernest Benn 1930), 224pp, 12 illus or maps.

The unit he served with was 244th Siege Bty RGA.

The book covers the entire war, and is particularly good on the Somme and Arras.

Edward Thomas appears as "Tyler" in the book; there is a detailed description of his tragic death.