Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tour of Arras

James Brown

Hi

Im off on a Walking Tour of Arras in the first week in June this year. Does anyone know what cemeteries and memorials are visited on this tour?

Would appreciate any feedback

Thanks

James

James

if you have booked to do the tour with one of the companies that run these I would have thought that they could provide you with at least an outline of the itinerary. if you are going solo, try to get a copy of Paul Reed's book, Walking Arras. I shall be arouind the Somme and Arras battlefields for the first ten days of June, so wear your GWF badge.

keith

Hi Keith thanks for the reply

I should have said I do have the itenary that gives us the usual, what I meant to say was is there any other places outwith the schedule. Ive been on other tours and the good thing about most of them is visiting places not on the schedule if the tour guide has time. Or if people ask to go somewhere outwith the tour (If close by) do they accomodate? It doesnt give you a GPS route so to speak so if anybody has been fill me in.

I've had Paul's book for a wee while now, so it sould be put to good use come the time of the tour.

Are you a guide or have you done this tour Keith?

l'll look out for you, but I dont have a GWF badge.

You'll recognise me ....i'm the Scottish Chris Moyles...he'll love me for that. :thumbsup:

Thanks

James

James

What is important, and you can get this from Paul's book, is that the tour takes in the whole scope of the 3 battles, especially the first one. Get the guide to take you all the way from the main road through the industrial estate from Tilloy to St Laurent Blangy, past the 2 cemeteries on Observation Ridge, on down into Battery Valley and up to the road that cuts across your path from Feuchy Chapel to Feuchy. Then you will have a feel for the success of VI Corps on the 9th April. Contrast that with a walk on the plateau east of Wancourt over towards Cherisy where many died in far more futile and poorly supported attacks in the following 2 battles. Monchy, Vimy, Gavrelle and Vimy are probably givens but do ensure that the central and southern areas get their share.

I shall be there first week of June and I will wear a badge, probably cutting a lonely furrow with a four legged friend. Maybe see you there, in which case you are invited back to the house for a drink!

Jim

Thanks for that Jim

We are looking forward to it. I Google Earthed the places you mentioned its a fair wee bit. Need to get on the Wii Fit for a couple of weeks :lol:

Hope to see you about and we will take you up on that wee dram :thumbsup:

James

James

I have not been on an organised tour but took my car over on a DIY visit. My particular interest was the in the March 1918 battle around Oppy, Bailleul and Gaveralle.

What made the visit for me was the homework I had done on my Grandfathers movements. I was actually able to visit exact spots where I knew he must have been. Perhaps I was lucky to be able to do this but if you can look up War Diaries, Divisional Histories and ask the forum for info it could make all the difference to your visit.

Have a good one.

Bob

QUOTE (Bob B @ Apr 20 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
James

I have not been on an organised tour but took my car over on a DIY visit. My particular interest was the in the March 1918 battle around Oppy, Bailleul and Gaveralle.

What made the visit for me was the homework I had done on my Grandfathers movements. I was actually able to visit exact spots where I knew he must have been. Perhaps I was lucky to be able to do this but if you can look up War Diaries, Divisional Histories and ask the forum for info it could make all the difference to your visit.

Have a good one.

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for that, we're trying to put together the route Cpl John Brodie took on his way up to Arras and the front lines. John Duncan helped me out with the War Diary for the 6th Battalion KOSB's from May 1916 till Decemer 1916, I'm doing my best to go through that now. Hopefully we will be organised come the time.

James