Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Needle in a Haystack

TonyWBaxter

I'm trying to locate my Grand fathers war medals.

James Edgar Baxter No. 9274 Sgt King's Liverpool Regt. Victory, British, 15 Star and Indian GS AFGN. NWFF 1919 Medals.

Ernest William Allsop No.27147 S.Sgt RAMC. Victory and British War Medals.

Stanley Petty No. 204642 Pte King's Royal Rifle Corp. Victory, British and 15 Star.

Know it's a tall order but maybe a kind person can help.

Many thanks

Tony

I'm trying to locate my Grand fathers war medals.

Stanley Petty No. 204642 Pte King's Royal Rifle Corp. Victory, British and 15 Star.

Tony,

Stanley's correct Service Number was A/204642 - the A/ prefix is very important!

And it must have been great at birthdays with three grandfathers! :rolleyes:

Pals,

You can find a wealth of interesting info on Stanley here:

Rifleman Stanley Petty No 204642 11th Kings Royal Rifles

as we were lucky enough to locate his Service Record.

Also the Pals should be aware that Stanley's Star may be under the ASC, we think he's on the KRRC roll but are not certain.

Roll references are ...

1914-15 Star Roll: M/2C, page 38

BW&VM Roll: M/101 B17, page 2207

Stanley was only transferred to 11/KRRC on 24 Dec 1917. He had been a baker, S/4/056442, with the ASC up until then, going out in July 1915, hence our expecting his Star to be with the ASC.

Cheers,

Mark

Well its a tall order - the silver medals could have been melted down for their silver content years ago or blown up in the blitz - many went that way. They could be lurking in a private collection, a Museum or even lanquishing amongst the buttons in an old box somewhere. There are Medal Tracking Services available on line often with a cost attached to them. Best of luck with your endevours.

Philip

Tony,

Stanley's correct Service Number was A/204642 - the A/ prefix is very important!

Pals,

You can find a wealth of interesting info on Stanley here:

Rifleman Stanley Petty No 204642 11th Kings Royal Rifles

as we were lucky enough to locate his Service Record.

Also the Pals should be aware that Stanley's Star may be under the ASC, we think he's on the KRRC roll but are not certain.

Roll references are ...

1914-15 Star Roll: M/2C, page 38

BW&VM Roll: M/101 B17, page 2207

Stanley was only transferred to 11/KRRC on 24 Dec 1917. He had been a baker, S/4/056442, with the ASC up until then, going out in July 1915, hence our expecting his Star to be with the ASC.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark

Yes I should have known better reguards Grandad Petty. You helped with his POW info. Which truely amazed me.

Tony

Well its a tall order - the silver medals could have been melted down for their silver content years ago or blown up in the blitz - many went that way. They could be lurking in a private collection, a Museum or even lanquishing amongst the buttons in an old box somewhere. There are Medal Tracking Services available on line often with a cost attached to them. Best of luck with your endevours.

Philip

Hi Philip

I know it's easier to get to the moon. Grandad Baxter's medals probabley went in the West Yorkshire area. Grandad Allsop's maybe on the South Wales Boarders and Grandad Petty's in the Kent area. Nothing like spreding them out.

Thanks all the same.

Tony

I had three Grandfathers technically - Grandma Upton was married twice, out-lived both her husbands, and they both died before I was born, so never got to spend any birthdays with them! ;)