Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering today

Joy Dean

I forgot to look at the Great War Forum to see who was particularly mentioned in Remembering today on 20th May.

Just wondered if it was my great-uncle:

Private Arthur George Harrison, No. 62732, "B" Company, 5th Machine Gun Battalion, killed in action 20 May 1918, in Ploegsteer, Belgium, at 30 years of age. Commemorated on Panel 11, on the Ploegsteert Memorial in Berks Cemetery Extension, 12.5 km south of Ypres town centre.

Please would someone tell me, please?

Thank you.

Joy

Thank you very much, Christine.

However, albeit belatedly, I'll add him on here just to let him know that he is not forgotten and never shall be.

Joy

post-20-1085261093.jpg

Joy,

I haven't seen one of these before. Is this a postcard? Do you know where it came from

regards

Brian

Brian, it was painted / drawn by my Grandad, William Joseph Brooks. Grandad was a draughtsman before WW1. He painted several copies of this, measuring approximately 14" x 20" for brothers, sisters, and -in-laws, and the copies which are greatly treasured have been passed down to the next generation/s.

Joy

Joy,

I haven't seen one of these before. Is this a postcard? Do you know where it came from

regards

Brian

Brian, it was painted / drawn by my Grandad, William Joseph Brooks. Grandad was a draughtsman before WW1. He painted several copies of this, measuring approximately 14" x 20" for brothers, sisters, and -in-laws, and the copies which are greatly treasured have been passed down to the next generation/s.

Joy

Then it served its purpose didn't it?

Hello Joy.

What a marvellous thing you have there.

Very personal,and a wonderfull piece of work.

My Great-grandad was Pte,73313,Oscar Furnell,58th Battalion MGC,not all that far away from your Great-Uncle,numbers wise.

The 5th Battalion,MGC,would have been the MGC battalion of the 5th Division.

From March,1918,the MGC was heavily involved,and in late April helped to stop the German advances.

I haven't read much about the May/June period of 1918,but from what little i have,it seems there wasn't much let up for the guys at the front.

Same old,same old,as far as WW1 was concerned.

Lots of casualties,and mainly conscripts,by this time.

"Plugstreet" Memorial,with the little Berks cemetary across the road,reminds me of a Roman Temple.

Being a Berkshire Boy,i'm biased,but it is a wonderfull place,to be commemorated.

These MGC guys are difficult to research,but it is well worth it,if you find the record of a member of "The Suicide Club".

All the best.

Simon.

Thank you. Yes, I certainly do treasure it, and, yes, it certainly served its purpose. And with this incredible invention the internet, and this incredible forum, it means that so many people across the world can read about my great-uncle, and can see what a good artist was my Grandad.

Rest in peace - Grandad, and great-uncle Dick.

Joy

:)

Hello Joy.

What a marvellous thing you have there.

Very personal,and a wonderfull piece of work.

My Great-grandad was Pte,73313,Oscar Furnell,58th Battalion MGC,not all that far away from your Great-Uncle,numbers wise.

These MGC guys are difficult to research,but it is well worth it,if you find the record of a member of "The Suicide Club".

All the best.

Simon.

Thank you, Simon. Just think, your Great-Grandad and my great-uncle might have known one another!

One day, somehow, I'll have to spend some money on MGC research!

Thank you again.

Joy