Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/8th Middlesex Regiment

Chris_Baker

Can any Middlesex Regiment expert please tell me the movements of 2/8th Battalion between the following:

Late 1915 when they were part of the Western Frontier Force; and

May 1916, when they left Egypt, typhus-ridden, only to be disbanded in Marseilles not long after arriving.

Thanks.

Hello Chris.

I'm not an expert, but I can summarise what little is mentioned in Wyrall's "Die-Hards in the Great War". Hope this isn't just duplicate information for you. Wyrall writes that the 2/8th battalion (along with the 2/7th) were at Mersa Matruh on New Year's Day 1916. Bad weather made operations impossible during the first week of January 1916, but the 2/8th took part in an expedition against an enemy force discovered by aerial reconnaissance on January 12th. The enemy camp , located at Hazalin, 25 miles south-west of Matruh, comprised "at least 100 European and 250 Bedouin tents, including that of the Grand Senussi." (Wyrall pg. 331-332). The 2/8th battalion (less "C" and "D" companies) was part of the force under General Wallace that moved off in two columns on 23rd January to engage the Senussi force mentioned above. The left column that the 2/8th were part of remained in reserve at Bir Shola during the action which was successful, "some 200 of the enemy being killed and about 500 wounded."(Wyrall, pg. 332). Wyrall goes on to state that by the end of March the Senussi army had broken up, and the bulk of the Western Force had returned to Alexandria, but the 2/8th (and the 2/7th) remained at Mersa Matruh, to deal with Senussi "elements" which "still roamed about the country." (Wyrall, pg 332). The 2/7th was involved in an action at Sollum in April 1916, but on 5th May 1916 both battalions moved to Alexandria, embarked on the "Saxonia" on 8th May and reached Marseilles on 15th May. You mentioned typhus - Wyrall states that "there had been a case of typhus on board, and the two battalions were therefore ordered in quarentine,to a camp at La Valentie, 10 miles out of Marseilles." (Wyrall pg. 333). 3 weeks were spent at La Valentie, but on 10th and 11th June the two battalions entrained for Rouen, only to be disbanded on 13th June.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Tony

Thanks Tony, that's great. I could not find what happened after the Bir Shola time, and you've filled that gap nicely.

You're welcome, Chris. Forgot to add that after the action of the 23rd January, the force moved back to Mersa Matruh on 25th January.

All the best,

Tony