Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need to see a university thesis (any topic)?

Bernard_Lewis

I don't think this has been posted before but this link takes you to a site that offers to (eventually) let you download any thesis you like. Reading the blurb it looks as if they are gradually building up a catalogue of these, each is about 20 to 30MB, some have been done already while others are done only after a request is made. Can take up to 30 days but appears to be FREE in most cases! I've just requested one on a Great War theme (first time I've used the site) so I'll post how I get on in due course. It'll take the 30 days as its not been done as yet.

http://ethos.bl.uk/About.do

Bernard

This sounds like an absolutely fantastic resource Bernard!

I'm going to have a look too. I think this could be a very important find.

Registration is very easy, and from the start of that process to confirming my order, the time taken was no more than three minutes.

The thesis I want to see came up on a simple search and, like Bernard, I'll have to wait for 30 days for them to scan it into their system. That's 30 working days, so we're looking at 6 weeks in new money.

Thanks very much,

Nigel

The University of Birmingham's Centre for First World War Studies has compiled a list of unpublished theses, many of which will be available via this resource.

It should be noted though that many theses listed are from universities outside the UK, and those will not be available.

Browse the list

I hope this helps someone find something of interest.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel.

I see my old MA is on the Birmingham list, though curiously they have changed my first name!

As my college (now a University) is one of those listed with "open access" I imagine the 93,000 word tome will also be freely downloadable as a boon for those with a serious insomnia problem...

LST_164

Thanks folks. As I've not experienced how it will work out as yet I suppose we'll have a better idea of its true usefulness once they fulfil my order!

Nothing to lose at the end of the day so fingers crossed...

Bernard

Doh! EThOS have come back to say that as its a thesis for a Master's Degree it can't be digitised as part of the EThOS programme! I've been referred back to the original uni (who referred me to EThOS in the first place).

I suspect I'll either have to visit in person or pay for a copy to be made, if that can be done on campus but let's see if the original uni has a different interpretation of the 'regs' or rules they work by for EThOS - I've pinged the EThOS reply over to them for comment.

Hopefully if its a BA you're after you'll be OK? Let us know how you get on please...

Bernard

The one I wanted was for a doctorate, and so far there hs been no negative message. I have downloaded a couple of others which were already digitised and cannot complain about the service at all. If I had to gripe, it would be that when you get a confirmation email, it doesn't tell you the name of the thesis you have ordered, it only refers to that thesis' inventory number. Tiny inconvenience in an otherwise very good service.

Cheers,

Nigel

The holding uni has now come back and apologised for the confusion. Upshot is that I will have to visit them (its a 2+ hour drive away so manageable). Even then I will be subject to copyright restrictions - which basically means that I can copy 10% of it (photocopy or photograph) but the rest I can only transcribe/summarise in the time I will have there.

Disappointed but I'll know where to look for any BA stuff which is the upside.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

I received an email yesterday to say that the thesis I wanted to see that I mentioned in post #2 has been digitised and is ready for download.

It is a three volume PhD work of 124Mb; remember Doug saying 20-30Mb?

Most of the them are that size, this one is just huge!

This is going to be some read.

Cheers,

Nigel