Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby)

Mark A

Hi there, I've got photocopies the war diaries of the 10th Sherwood Foresters from the PRO. The dates are very small scale- from the 1st of July to the 10th of July. I've been researching a great uncle who was killed during that time period. The battalion were involved in the capture of Fricourt and in action around Bottom Wood and the ill-fated attack on Quadrangle Support Trench near Mametz.

Happy to photocopy these if any one is interested.

M

• 3 years later...

If the offer still stands I'd like a copy of this diary please. I'm researching Ernest Goodwin who died 04/07/16 who was with the 10th Bn.

Mike

Mike,

Any particular reason why this soldier?

We Notts & Derby 'buffs' could be of assistance!

18140 Goodwin E Pte , reported wounded with 10 SF newspaper dated 10 March 1916. Assuming he is the one mentioned above ?

Stuart

Mark / Mike

There are two histories of the battalion, both of which I have. Would you like details for the relevant dates?

Hi,

Well, I started off wanted to do a transcription of the Burbage (Buxton) war memorial, which I pass everyday on the way to work, and pass it on to www.roll-of-honour.com. I just got carried away on this one chap for some reason, his record with CWGC has a lot of information and I've found his medal card and located him on the census in 1901 (aged 4) easily; his parents lived at the same address. The cottage where he lived still exists too. Just wondering if I could peice together any more information about him really.

During my research I've come across a few places which dedicate their rememberance Sunday to a man from their memorial, to somehow make it more personal. I suspect I'll offer this research to the church for November if they'd like it.

Stuart, yes 18140 that's him...

Anthony, a good proportion of the men on the memorial where Sherwood Foresters so I'll probably be fishing around for further stuff as time goes on. Any help is greatly appreciated..

Mike

Yes, I know the memorial you mean

This is all I could find out about Ernest Goodwin a few years ago, from the Derbyshire Times I think

"Ernest Goodwin's parents received a letter from the War Office informing them that their son had been missing since the 4th July. For the previous 5 weeks their letters to Ernest had been returned unopened. Prior to enlisting Ernest was a Clerk at the Head Office of Buxton Lime Firms Ltd. His brother William (19112) was killed at Gallipoli on 28th August 1915 whilst serving with the 1st Border Regiment."

Hope that helps a bit

Mike

• 2 years later...

Mark,

I would be grateful for a copy of these if they are still available. I am looking for information on my gt grandfather George Cockings of the 10th Btn who was wounded at some point between July 1915 and May 1917.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
Hi there, I've got photocopies the war diaries of the 10th Sherwood Foresters from the PRO. The dates are very small scale- from the 1st of July to the 10th of July. I've been researching a great uncle who was killed during that time period. The battalion were involved in the capture of Fricourt and in action around Bottom Wood and the ill-fated attack on Quadrangle Support Trench near Mametz.

Happy to photocopy these if any one is interested.

M

hi,

I am trying to track down some more information about my great uncle Cpl 17197 R W Sykes 10th Bn Sherwood Foresters Listed as missing on 7th July 1916 near the village of Fricourt

all indications are that he was killed during heavy shelling as the Bn were preparing an assault on Quadrangle support trench.

but any accounts of the action would be greatly appreciated.

I am due to visit the area in july 2010 with a party from the school where I work and this would provide a personal angle to the visit

Duncan

There is a book "Quadrangles" written by Wayne Osborne which charts this action in great detail. The book covers the period 6th - 11th July and is written with the 10th Battalion in mind as he is researching a relative in the battalion. The book is quite detailed and should be of use I'd think. Alas, it appears to be out of stock on Amazon but the library may be able to source a copy in time.

James O'Hara

There is a book "Quadrangles" written by Wayne Osborne which charts this action in great detail. The book covers the period 6th - 11th July and is written with the 10th Battalion in mind as he is researching a relative in the battalion. The book is quite detailed and should be of use I'd think. Alas, it appears to be out of stock on Amazon but the library may be able to source a copy in time.

James O'Hara

Thanks James,

Am now on the case, I have a mate who runs a bookshop and he will be getting a call in the morning.

Duncan

If the offer still stands I'd like a copy of this diary please. I'm researching Ernest Goodwin who died 04/07/16 who was with the 10th Bn.

Mike

Ernest Goodwin served with "C" Company (10th Btn) and was reported by the Red Cross list on the 1st September 1916 as missing on the 4th July 1916.

In the Buxton Advertiser on page 3 dated the 9th January 1915 it states that he enlisted in October 1914 and joined the 11th Battalion and in April 1915 he was with the 12th Battalion (Pioneers). I think there is a picture of him available.

He worked at the Buxton Lime Firms Company Ltd, the rest i think you already know.

BRONNO.

hi,

I am trying to track down some more information about my great uncle Cpl 17197 R W Sykes 10th Bn Sherwood Foresters Listed as missing on 7th July 1916 near the village of Fricourt

all indications are that he was killed during heavy shelling as the Bn were preparing an assault on Quadrangle support trench.

but any accounts of the action would be greatly appreciated.

I am due to visit the area in july 2010 with a party from the school where I work and this would provide a personal angle to the visit

Duncan

Hello Duncan

until you get the book you'll find a bit of info here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.briggs76/10th%20Btn.htm

cheers

Mike

• 7 years later...

Hi Im looking for information on the 10th battaion sherwood foresters on the 7th of july 1916, my great grandfather Privte william huckerby was reported killed on that date and has no known grave. I tried the link posted on a prievious message but it didnt seem to work so any information would be greatly appreciated