Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seraphine, la guerre a Senlis

anneg001

je n'ai pas compris une scene dans le film Seraphine. On recherche les etrangers, on les alligne contre un mur, ils semblent etre fusilles.

Pourtant on m'assure que les civils n'ont pas ete fusilles en 14 mais incarcere. Quelqu'un a t il vu ce film, cette scene, and savent ils si A Senlis des civils ont ete fusilles?

J'ai lu par ailleur que la scene ne se passe pas a la declaration de la guerre, mais alors que le canon se fait entendre pres de Senlis. C'est a dire alors que les allemands arrivent.

TRANSLATION of Anne's message, above

"I did not understand one scene in the film "Seraphine". Some foreigners are hunted down, lined up against a wall, and seem to be shot.

However I am assured that civilians were not shot in 1914, but imprisoned. Has anybody seen this film, and this scene, and do they know whether in Senlis any civilians were shot?

I also read that the scene did not take place at the declaration of war, but when the guns could be heard near Senlis. In other words, at the time the Germans were arriving."

------------------------

I googled the film, and found it is an award-winning French movie dating from 2008, based on a true story, about a cleaning woman who is discovered to be a passionate visionary painter. In 1914 a German art expert, come to live in the French town of Senlis, employs her, notices her talent, and says he can help her to become known. But at the outbreak of the war, he is obliged to flee back to Germany.

Presumably the scene referred to by Anne takes place at that sort of time, and perhaps prompted the character's departure.

Angela

But at the outbreak of the war, he is obliged to flee back to Germany.

Presumably the scene referred to by Anne takes place at that time.

Yes exactly, you see the german art critique leaving in the middle of the night, leaving everything behind, and people against the wall perhaps getting killed? Clearly there is danger but the nature of the danger is what I did not understand.

I can't answer Anne's query, but I can heartily recommend the film. Yolande Moreau is brilliant as the main character

cheers Martin B

Alors, Anne, si vous suivez les liens affichés par Siege Gunner, vous trouverez que ce serait les envahisseurs allemands qui, en arrivant à Senlis, auraient fusillé les habitants. Je n'ai pas (encore !) vu le film, mais serait-ce vraisemblable que le personnage allemand (le critique) prenne la fuite pour se disassocier aux évènements atroces provoqués par ses compatriotes ?

Angela

Oui, il faudrait que je revois le film, ce serait les allemands qui fusillaient des civils et le critique allemand s'est enfui dans la nuit pour la suisse, et revenir en allemagne pour ne pas etre considere comme deserteur.

Merci beaucoup d'avoir trouver ces liens.

Ah, that sounds logical, Anne, that the German art critic would flee to Germany via Switzerland at once, so as not to be considered a deserter once the German troops had arrived.

En fait, j'ai trouvé une page en français ici, qui raconte tout (il faut descendre d'à peu pres la moitié)

http://www.greatwardifferent.com/Great_War...y/Senlis_01.htm

Angela