Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
topsey1234

Search for British war Medal for Leonard Twamley- 266675 Royal Warwick

topsey1234

I wondered if I could post an enquiry for information if any one out there knows the where abouts of my great uncle Leonard Twamley 266675, 2/7th Royal Warwickshires missing British war medal? I understand in the past few years it was in the possession of a medal dealer but whose whereabouts are now unknown.

He was killed at Fromelles. I have his Allied Victory Medal but I'm also seeking his large "penny" and associated scroll.

Any leads greatly appreciated. Incidentally on his medal roll card the entry is: L/104 B34 7214. I've tried reading the Long March guide but I'm none the wiser as to whether this can give any further clues on his service.

Richard

eviltaxman

Richard,

You may be interested to know that his service papers (18 pages!!) have survived and are available on Ancestry. If you don't have a subscription with them, perhaps join up using their 30 day free trial access?

NB - he's shown as living at 52 Godiva St, Coventry, serial number 4621, 7th R Warks Regiment. :thumbsup:

topsey1234
I wondered if I could post an enquiry for information if any one out there knows the where abouts of my great uncle Leonard Twamley 266675, 2/7th Royal Warwickshires missing British war medal? I understand in the past few years it was in the possession of a medal dealer but whose whereabouts are now unknown.

He was killed at Fromelles. I have his Allied Victory Medal but I'm also seeking his large "penny" and associated scroll.

Any leads greatly appreciated. Incidentally on his medal roll card the entry is: L/104 B34 7214. I've tried reading the Long March guide but I'm none the wiser as to whether this can give any further clues on his service.

Richard

Les

many thanks- I downloaded them a few months ago. Useful info as I think being 5ft 1 inches and a chest size of 33 inches fully expanded he was below regulation size when he volunteered in 1915. He was a turner at the Singer works in Coventry pre war and his mother put an emotional appeal for info in the local paper in Sept 1916 when he went missing at Fromelles.

I am keen to try and decipher the medal roll entry as the National Archives and Long March do not give me any clues.

regards

Richard

rksimpson

Hi

This explains the medal roll - http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/medals.htm

the numbers on the MIC represent the roll it is in

as in book L/104 B34 page number 7214 - see picture as an example above

CWGC - http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1771126

Do you still have Ancestry subscription as you can look up SDGW record also

regards

Robert