Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Split pair on ebay

CROONAERT

knowing of the 'outrage' thats occasionally generated on here with the appearance of split medal groups on ebay, I wondered what the general concesus was regarding the split Tank Corps ID tag pair that's currently on a 'Buy it Now' for ridiculous money? (And I reserve the right to keep my opinions about the 'No.1' tag thats on offer to myself! :ph34r: ).

Nothing of importance...just curious as to opinions.

Dave

knowing of the 'outrage' thats occasionally generated on here with the appearance of split medal groups on ebay, I wondered what the general concesus was regarding the split Tank Corps ID tag pair that's currently on a 'Buy it Now' for ridiculous money? (And I reserve the right to keep my opinions about the 'No.1' tag thats on offer to myself! :ph34r: ).

Nothing of importance...just curious as to opinions.

Dave

IMHO splitting up any original grouping is always sad......however the market shows that doing so often benefits the seller...and the ultimate buyers don't seem to mind either.

Cheers, Bill

The seller obviously knows that Tank Corps gear sells well and is trying to maximise his take. Sad to see any kind of split on items that have been together for so long.

I think the price he is asking is highly inflated for such items, however, the medals would be a different kettle of fish.

As a collector, I would want all of the group, be it medals, dog tags, photos or paperwork and I would be willing to pay more to keep them together.

BUT, £30 for a dog tag, £60 for a pair..............maybe if I had the medals, a photo, he was my Grandfather, and I owned the tank he served in.

Dick

It's bloody ridiculous. When I browsed the original post I thought there was a medal pair and some dog tags. Splitting these is just an exercisein money grabbing, as the seller pretty much knows that whoever buys (or not) one tag will buy the second. Just like splitting a medal group up, the collective value would outweigh their individual worth on many levels. Also the price is restrictive - they won't sell.

Also the price is restrictive - they won't sell.

I agree. As for the splitting of medals there are not many sellers on ebay who get away with selling a split group these days. As a member of the BMF I see the threads, and participate in some, listing the split groups. The sellers get hounded quite a bit, nothing offensive, and the forum as a whole has a very high success rate at getting the groups re-listed and sold on complete.

Cheers Andy.

About sums it up.

The seller obviously knows that Tank Corps gear sells well and is trying to maximise his take. Sad to see any kind of split on items that have been together for so long.

I think the price he is asking is highly inflated for such items, however, the medals would be a different kettle of fish.

As a collector, I would want all of the group, be it medals, dog tags, photos or paperwork and I would be willing to pay more to keep them together.

BUT, £30 for a dog tag, £60 for a pair..............maybe if I had the medals, a photo, he was my Grandfather, and I owned the tank he served in.

Dick

Splitting these is just an exercise in money grabbing, ... ... Just like splitting a medal group up

Thanks for the replies...that was my thought too, but was unsure as the the tag collecting market is far smaller than that of medals and, other than on the french ebay, haven't come across this occurance before.

Also the price is restrictive - they won't sell

you're probably correct, but I've had a re-think on how ridiculous the price might seem (especially when considering that I've occasionally paid far more). £60 for the pair is pushing luck a little too far I feel, but £30 for one of them (the No.1 disc) may be only slightly over the odds. I don't know about medals, but a matched pair in the tag world is never worth twice that of a single. To be honest, I'm also not 100% convinced that a pair actually is being split here...(even if they were half the price, my gut feeling tells me to only go for one of them - which I'm not going to do anyway!).

cheers.

dave

Just had a quick look at his other auction items..........again, all inflated pricewise.

He will have quite a bit to pay out on his listings, too. There is a point at which you always go into negative figures with ebay and I think his pricing policy has taken him there.

Got alot of feedback, I wonder how long he has been chucking good money after bad :whistle:

Dick

Thanks for the replies...that was my thought too, but was unsure as the the tag collecting market is far smaller than that of medals and, other than on the french ebay, haven't come across this occurance before.

you're probably correct, but I've had a re-think on how ridiculous the price might seem (especially when considering that I've occasionally paid far more). £60 for the pair is pushing luck a little too far I feel, but £30 for one of them (the No.1 disc) may be only slightly over the odds. I don't know about medals, but a matched pair in the tag world is never worth twice that of a single. To be honest, I'm also not 100% convinced that a pair actually is being split here...(even if they were half the price, my gut feeling tells me to only go for one of them - which I'm not going to do anyway!).

cheers.

dave

:innocent: do you need them. :devilgrin: you know you want them.

Dan :lol: