Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vierstraatmolen

zijde26

Does anyone know (the ww1-fuction) of the Vierstraatmolen (Vierstraete molen)

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt :rolleyes:

It seems that there is a hamlet named ' Vierstraat ' in Voormezele (Kemmel border).

Does anyone know more ?

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt :closedeyes:

Is "Molen" Flemish for "Mill" so Vierstraatmolen is Vierstraat Mill?

North of Kemmel are Kleine Vierstraat and Grote Vierstraat (not even hamlets, just a few houses).

Roel

I am not sure I understand the query. WW1 function? Well same as any other small village in reach of the battlefield. I have a German aerial from 1914/1915 where Vierstraat was photographed

To David Faulder,

Yes ' molen ' is in english ' mill '. Vierstraatmolen = Vierstraat mill

To Egbert,

Please send ('off -line') that 'aereal photo". I would be very happy with it.

Pay no special attention to the word 'function'

Thanks.

The Vierstraatmolen (=Vierstraat mill) is also called ' Vandenbroucke's molen.

It seems that the Vierstraatmolen disappeared in ww1 (1915 ?).

I am looking for information !!

Kind regards,

Gilbert Deraedt :blink:

This document has information about (disappeared) mills in Heuvelland. It mentions a "Keyserinnemolen" near Vierstraat.

Roel

Gilbert, you have reason to assume this mill was located at Vierstraat? (Apart from the two hamlets the road connecting them is also called Vierstraat)

Because the name "Vierstraete Molen" may also refer to a former owner. Like in the second name, "Vandenbroucke's molen".

"Vierstraete" is not an uncommon name in the area.

Roel

Thanks, Egbert. But I can't tell where this is on a modern map...

Roel

Found it.

It's not really Vierstraat, that's slightly more south (2,5 km.)

Still it is a "Vierstraat" (junction)...

Roel

The information about the mills is not always correct :

Spanbrouckmolen -- burned down november 1914

Vandevivere's molen = what is also called by Britisch -burning mill at Messines = mechanical mill in 1912 and also a chicory factory. There are reasons to believe there was no longer a windmill in 1914... ( also tax paying for two mills....).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have a photo (postcard, ...) of this " Vierstraat " - mill ?

Gilbert Deraedt :closedeyes:

• 1 year later...

I am currently researching my wifes' Great Uncle - WILLIAM ARTHER HONEYCOMBE - who was killed on 04/09/18. He was in the 15th Battalion Hampshire Yeomanry.

As far as I can ascertain he was killed during the advance in Flanders during an attack on Vierstraat. The problem is - which one? Was it the town, or was it the hamlet. He is buried in Voormezee;e Enclosure No.3.

Can anyone help me?

SalvoPeter, it is the Vierstraat that is even today little more than a few buildings at a crossroads junction on the Ieper - Kemmel - Nieuwkerke road. Vierstraat is very close to Voormezele.

There are two hamlets called Vierstraat, Kleine ("small") Vierstraat and Groote ("big") Vierstraat. When just Vierstraat is written it normally refers to Groote Vierstraat.

Let me describe the situation using this German trenchmap from may 1918.

In april 1918 the Germans advanced from Wijtschaete to Kleine Vierstraat, and conquered the (British) trenches on the map. They held this position until the Americans came in. With their help the Germans were pushed back eastwards to Vierstraat, during an offensive between 31 august and 4 september. Your wife's great uncle must have been killed on the last day of this attack.

Roel

post-5443-0-97720000-1314776485.jpg

There are two hamlets called Vierstraat, Kleine ("small") Vierstraat and Groote ("big") Vierstraat. When just Vierstraat is written it normally refers to Groote Vierstraat.

Let me describe the situation using this German trenchmap from may 1918.

In april 1918 the Germans advanced from Wijtschaete to Kleine Vierstraat, and conquered the (British) trenches on the map. They held this position until the Americans came in. With their help the Germans were pushed back eastwards to Vierstraat, during an offensive between 31 august and 4 september. Your wife's great uncle must have been killed on the last day of this attack.

Roel

For history..; The Keyserinne Mill disappeared before 1760... The location was north - east "Kleine Vierstraat" --

Vierstraat mill = mechanical mill... no windmill (Grote Vierstraat hamlet is Kemmel and Voormezele)

• 9 years later...

Ten years after the last reply in this topic I stumbled across this photo, caption reads "Vierstraat, spring 1915".

It clearly shows the ruins of a windmill.

Roel