Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Parachutes ?

susan kitchen

Apart from some ground attack aircraft ( a few BE2cs, possibly some FE2s, one experimental Camel and the Salamander) can anyone think of a British plane which had armour added to protect "vulnerable parts of their machines against bullets" ?

Sopwith 3F.2 Buffalo.

Gareth

I should have added - and flew at least one operational sortie - other wise I would have added a number of aircraft such as the RAE Ram (ground attack). The point I was making was that to say that Trenchard preferred to add armour as an alternative to the supply of parachutes is complete tosh

Apart from some ground attack aircraft ( a few BE2cs, possibly some FE2s, one experimental Camel and the Salamander) can anyone think of a British plane which had armour added to protect "vulnerable parts of their machines against bullets" ?

Handley Page O/100 (and not just the prototype with the huge greenhouse stuck on the front)

Given that the development was overseen by the RNAS - rather reinforces my point re Trenchard.

What an interesting -dare I say enjoyable - thread. But back to the parachutes.

I posted an inquiry elswhere on this site but probably should have located it here.

I have a verbatim account from an Australian signaller in which he claims he was one of the first if not the first to reach Richthofen's crashed aircraft. He recalls seeing an unfurled parachute in the cockpit on the dead pilot's lap, an item which he took to his commanding officer and which subsequently disappeared. His account is more to do with the loss of what he saw as 'his' souvenir than an outright 'I was there' account.

Could the Germn pilot have been issued a parachute? or has time, embellishment and wishful thinking crafted this account?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Regards,

Michael

The German chutes were either seat or back packs - either of which required a seat modification ( The Fokker VII was fitted with seats for the seat pack and the Pfalz XII with seats for a back pack for example). All chutes worked with a static line (ie the weight of the pilot baling out pulled the chute from its pack). Given this there is no way a chute could be unfurled with the pilot still in his seat. Moreover M von R is specifically quoted as saying he didn't believe in the use of parachutes.

The German chutes were either seat or back packs - either of which required a seat modification ( The Fokker VII was fitted with seats for the seat pack and the Pfalz XII with seats for a back pack for example). All chutes worked with a static line (ie the weight of the pilot baling out pulled the chute from its pack). Given this there is no way a chute could be unfurled with the pilot still in his seat. Moreover M von R is specifically quoted as saying he didn't believe in the use of parachutes.

Thanks, I think that settles it.

Michael

>>I'm not nit picking at you but if you feel too sensitive to take queries or corrections perhaps this isn't the place for you?<<

I am always sensitive if anybody is trying to miscorrect me.

With your claim about 3 German parachute types you are obviously referring to "5. AEROPLANE PARACHUTES" in "Handbook of German and Naval Aviation (War) 1914-1918" - and you did even not realise that both "Type A. 3 panelled" and "Type B. 4 panelled" are simply the early and the late (because of practical experience strengthened) version of the Heinecke parachute in WWI.

So I would not wonder if names of German parachute inventors in WWI like Hielscher, Mikkleitis and Löwenberg, Orth or Unz are totally unknown to you as well - nevertheless you are trying to play the expert here.

And btw I won´t do you the favour to leave this forum - your suggestion displays only your ill-developed ego.

• 9 years later...

Hello

Whilst on ebay just now I spotted some medals with the following description -

Lovely swing mounted miniature medal group of 12, clean bright original ribbons: MC GV, DCM, 14-15 Star, British War, Victory, Defence, War, Coronation 1937 medals, TD GV with 4 GRI clasps, Albert cross for veterans, Veterans of the Somme and Flemish Cross of three cities - Clasps Ieper (Ypres), Diksmuide and Nieuport. 

Awarded to Major F J Plummer R.A 

DCM LG 3 Mar 16 For conspicuous gallantry

On 4th June 16 He was attacked by an enemy aeroplane when in an artillery kite, he had to jump by parachute from 3500 feet.

MC to Maj Plummer LG Jul 27th 1917

So having not read any of the above answers to the thread question! I am wondering if it is true?

John 

39 minutes ago, johnmelling1979 said:

Hello

Whilst on ebay just now I spotted some medals with the following description -

Lovely swing mounted miniature medal group of 12, clean bright original ribbons: MC GV, DCM, 14-15 Star, British War, Victory, Defence, War, Coronation 1937 medals, TD GV with 4 GRI clasps, Albert cross for veterans, Veterans of the Somme and Flemish Cross of three cities - Clasps Ieper (Ypres), Diksmuide and Nieuport. 

Awarded to Major F J Plummer R.A 

DCM LG 3 Mar 16 For conspicuous gallantry

On 4th June 16 He was attacked by an enemy aeroplane when in an artillery kite, he had to jump by parachute from 3500 feet.

MC to Maj Plummer LG Jul 27th 1917

So having not read any of the above answers to the thread question! I am wondering if it is true?

John 

Hi

Probably referring to him being an observer in a 'Kite Balloon' for artillery spotting, in which case he would have had a parachute.

Mike