Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Eddy Phillips, 14 Battalion AIF

Rodney Martin

I'm looking for any descendants of Private John Eddy Phillips, 14 Battalion AIF, who died at Lone Pine on 8 August 1915.

He was born in Walhalla, Victoria, and his mother (Margaret Phillips) still lived there in 1915.

Rodney,

His records at the NAA state that his widowed mother was the next of kin. No wife, children and no mention of brothers or sisters. That doesn't mean there weren't any but you never know. Good luck with this.

Reading his records and the letters passed between his mother and the AIF after his death are sombre and interesting. The hearsay letter from a friend saying someone had seem him alive in a hospital in England must have given the mother an horrendous feeling of hope mixed with uncertainty amidst the definite notifications of his death.

By the way I doubt very much he died at Lone Pine. The 14th were miles away on the 8th August 1915 fighting their way towards hill 971 as a part of the Abdel-Rahman Bair offensive.

All the best

Jonathan

Hi Rodney & welcome to the forum

Some info you may or may not have:

John Eddy's father, also John Eddy, died at Walhalla in 1899, his mother Margaret died at Mildura in 1923.

A brother Robert James (Spr 3226, 4th Broadgage Railway Operating Coy) died at Parkville in 1952 (didn't find a marriage, but haven't actually looked at his service record either - which might give a clue)

A sister Marguerite Evelyn married Stephen Croft in 1942 - she died in 1968 at Bent. (Bentleigh?) - but had reverted to her maiden name by then.

Another brother Francis Henry, may have died young, after 1985 or in another state (haven't followed this up)

Not much help - but may give a further clue to tracing family.

Cheers, Frev

Edited to add birthdates:

Francis Hy b.1883

John Eddy b.1885

Robert Jas b.1888

Marguerite Evelyn b. 1892 (so would have been 50 when she married)

I'm looking for any descendants of Private John Eddy Phillips, 14 Battalion AIF, who died at Lone Pine on 8 August 1915.

He was born in Walhalla, Victoria, and his mother (Margaret Phillips) still lived there in 1915.

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for your info. I had been to the NAA and gathered such.

Re Lone Pine: I know what you mean about Hill 971, but he is recorded as having no known grave, and he is commemorated on the Lone Pine Memorial (!).

Hi Rodney & welcome to the forum

Some info you may or may not have:undefined

John Eddy's father, also John Eddy, died at Walhalla in 1899, his mother Margaret died at Mildura in 1923.

A brother Robert James (Spr 3226, 4th Broadgage Railway Operating Coy) died at Parkville in 1952 (didn't find a marriage, but haven't actually looked at his service record either - which might give a clue)

A sister Marguerite Evelyn married Stephen Croft in 1942 - she died in 1968 at Bent. (Bentleigh?) - but had reverted to her maiden name by then.

Another brother Francis Henry, may have died young, after 1985 or in another state (haven't followed this up)

Not much help - but may give a further clue to tracing family.

Cheers, Frev

Edited to add birthdates:

Francis Hy b.1883

John Eddy b.1885

Robert Jas b.1888

Marguerite Evelyn b. 1892 (so would have been 50 when she married)

Dear Frev,

Thanks so much for your information. How did you obtain it? You say, "not much help", but it certainly is.

I shall try to investigate further.

Cheers,

Rod

Rod - the family information mostly comes from the Vic Births, Deaths & Marriage Registers.

Re Lone Pine Memorial: All those with no known grave that fought & died in the entire Anzac area (including those buried at sea) are commemmorated on the Lone Pine Memorial.

All the best with your search

Cheers, Frev