Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries - Available Free UPDATED 1st July 2012

jainvince

Hi, amazing list beaing formed. help needed, does anyone have a diary for the 13 battalion ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS covering the 20 march 1916 ? or the r.a.m.c field ambulance 129,130,131, for that date also ? meny thanks .

As an addition to the list (Bernard you cannot recive messages).

I have images for the 84th Field Ambulance War Diary for the period January to December 1915. The FA was attached to the 28th Division, the entries cover the move to France, 2nd Ypres, Loos and their move to Salonika.If anyone has extra details / material for this unit i would be interested to hear from you.

Happy to help if possible.

Bob

Guest JamesRobson

I am new to this community and my Great-Granfather Harold Robson served in the Northumberland Hussars from Aug 1914 onwards - would anyone be able to point me i nthe direction of where i might find the battalion war diary - i am new to this but planning a trip to the battlfields this year. thanks

JRobson

The National Archive has some War Diaries available as downloads but I didn't find the Northumberland Hussars listed. You may get a better response to your request if you post it under "Soldiers" and you may have to find out a bit more information to help other members help you.

Bernard

Bernard

I tried to message you but you cannot reeive anymore!

I see from the “Diary list” that you may be able to assist me with details for one of my Purton lads. If you can provide any details (Location etc) to further my research I would be most gratefull.

Date of interest is;

14/04/1918 Wounded in action, gunshot wound right ankle. (36th Casualty Clearing Station, Wimereux).

14/04/1918 Reported missing in action.(later confirmed POW)

Best regards

Bob Lloyd

Bob

Happy to assist but can you advisewhich Battalion/Regiment he served in and we can track the details down. Have emptied the PM box so you could send me a new PM with your email address and I will reply by email. I do find the new PM system difficult to use so don't use it as much as I used to.

Bernard

Bernard your box is still full (Of requests probably mate)

Looking for details of their movenments around March and April 1918 at the time upto his POW status.

Best regards

Bob

bob.mech00@tiscali.co.uk

BLETSO, Edward Boyekin.

Enlisted: (Short Service) 17/08/1916, Reading.

Age given: 17 years 8 months.

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: 6 Field Road, Reading. NOK listed as Frederick and Florence Bletso (Father and Mother) living in New Road, Purton.

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

2/10094 Training Reserve Brigade.

TR/10360

52264 Worcestershire Regiment.

British War Medal, Victory Medal.

Extracts from: Service record. (Qualified Rifle Bomber).

Army form Z22 indicates previouse Service with the Army Service Corps, discharged in May 1915, admitted to?

(Details unreadable). The front sheet of Edwards attestation form declares no previous Military Service; he possibly enlisted in late 1914 or early 1915 and was then found to be under age and discharged.

18/08/1916 Transferred to Army reserve.

20/02/1917 Mobilized, Reading.

22/02/1917 Transferred to 35th Training Reserve Brigade.

09/06/1917 Transferred to 94th Training Reserve Brigade.

03/03/1918 Transferred to Worcestershire Regiment.

05/03/1918 Embarked Southampton.

07/03/1918 Disembarked Rouen.

10/03/1918 Posted 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

16/03/1918 Joined the Battalion “In the field”.

14/04/1918 Wounded in action, gunshot wound right ankle. (36th Casualty Clearing Station, Wimereux).

14/04/1918 Reported missing in action.

19/11/1918 Repatriated to England, ex POW. He sailed from Calais.

31/03/1920 Discharged, address given as New Road, Purton.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: 1918 voters list for Purton Parish (a NM), Common.

Bob

I believe that I have now cleared the in-box. Anyway, here is a copy of the relevant page but it is very difficult to read (even on the pdf from NA) However, if you send me an email I will send you the relvant apges in a large file.

Bernard

post-23884-000072700 1295909309.jpg

Bernard would you please add the following:

10th Worcestershire 01 - 31.12.16

1st R Warwickshire 30.07.14 - 10.06.19

8th Gloucestershire 17.07.15 - 31.03.19

8th Nth Staffordshire 17.07.15 - 31.01.18

10th R Warwickshire 17.07.15 - 31.03.19

Hi Bernard. Could you alter the listing for 10th R Warwickshire [delete 1 - 31st Dec 1916] as this should be 10th Worcestershire. Thanks

Caryl

Not sure it's a protocol, it is probably more related to practical. My more recent downloads from the National Archive (NA) are around 31 MB. Now my download speed is sufficient to receive such a file quite quickly but my upload speed is much less which is probably the case for many members. Therefore sending such a file could prove difficult.

I think that if I needed the whole of the War Diary and it was available as a download I would probably pay the £3:50 and download it. If the member had gone to the NA then members may wish to offer something in recompense.

Just my thoughts.

Bernard

Hi there

I don't suppose anyone would have any War Diaries for the New Zealand Division?

Ron has been very helpful and has let me know that I am looking for the following in the Kew records

WO 95/3672 3 New Zealand Field Artillery Brigade 1917 Jan. - Dec.

WO 95/3673 3 New Zealand Field Artillery Brigade 1918 Jan. - 1919 Feb.

WO 95/3674 4 New Zealand Field Artillery Brigade 1916 Feb. - 1917 Jan.

WO 95/3674 Divisional Ammunition Column 1916 Apr. - 1919 Feb.

However, I live in NZ and although I have access to and have read through the other sources recommended by members, I would love to see an actual document.

I would appreciate any help

Lara

Guest JamesRobson

many thanks Bernard - i will try that - much appreciated. James

JRobson

The National Archive has some War Diaries available as downloads but I didn't find the Northumberland Hussars listed. You may get a better response to your request if you post it under "Soldiers" and you may have to find out a bit more information to help other members help you.

Bernard

• 3 weeks later...

Could you please add the following diaries. 1st Bn Scots Guards Aug 15- Mar 16, both original and transcribed, also 2nd Connaught Rangers Aug 14- Nov 14, both orginal and transcribed. 5th Connaught Rangers Aug 15- Sept 15.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dominic

Could you please add the following diaries. 1st Bn Scots Guards Aug 15- Mar 16, both original and transcribed, also 2nd Connaught Rangers Aug 14- Nov 14, both orginal and transcribed. 5th Connaught Rangers Aug 15- Sept 15.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dominic

hi dominic thanks for your very kind offer for look up,s. Researching local war plaque. need info on 1st bn scotts Gds, dates 14-16/9/16. If you can help me it would be great!! thanks again... email perscy705@btinternet .com

Hi Ypres, sorry can't help you as only have diaries between those dates.

Dominic

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dominic

I have a complete set of 1/4th KSLI if needed. Pm me.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Bernard

it's already on the list but on the theory that two heads are better than one would you like to add the following I have?

2/Lancashire Fusiliers August 1914 - February 1919 inclusive.

Hi Bernard,

Can you add the following :-

10th Btn Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Sept 1915 - Jan 1918 ( Disbanded).

1st Btn Coldstream Guards, Aug 1915 - January 1919.

1st Btn Scots Guards, Aug 1915 - January 1919

Regards

Camthumbsup.png

Hi Bernard,

The entry for 3rd Btn Grenadier Guards should read from July 1915. It's showing from July 1916.

Kind regards

Cam.