Remembered Today:

War Diaries - Available Free UPDATED 1st July 2012

jainvince

On 29/07/2010 at 05:35, Bernard P said:

.....British Infantry Battalions - See Post 1

Links to Canadian Diaries, NZ and Australian Diaries

[Broken link removed]

Bernard,

Thank you so very much for over seeing this project! Just to let you know that the above link appears to be broken.

Regards,

Ken

Ken

Thanks for the information. As I managed to get the list onto two entries the link fell out.

Easy summary is that the British War Diaries for the Infantry regiments are on Page 1

All the rest are on Page 6.

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

Bernard,

If you could add the 10th Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment (Kent County). May 1916 to October 1917. March 1918 to Febuary 1919.

Regards,

Stuart

UPDATED 23rd OCTOBER 2010

Thanks to all who have included diaries in the list. It has been updated to included those recently offered by Mick and Stuart.

Thanks again

Bernard

May I ask where does the list live? can the full list be accessed somewhere?

UPDATED 23rd OCTOBER 2010

Thanks to all who have included diaries in the list. It has been updated to included those recently offered by Mick and Stuart.

Thanks again

Bernard

Seany

The list is on a three page spreadsheet I have at home. The first sheet is on page one of the post and the other two are on page 6 of the post. The master list is emailable but doesn't give anything that's not on the post and it wouldn't be updated as the post often is. However, if any member wanted a copy then PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Bernard

Thanks Bernard, a lot of work has gone into this very valuable archive - I'll keep looking out for 293 siege battery RGA.

Seany

The list is on a three page spreadsheet I have at home. The first sheet is on page one of the post and the other two are on page 6 of the post. The master list is emailable but doesn't give anything that's not on the post and it wouldn't be updated as the post often is. However, if any member wanted a copy then PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Bernard

I have listed below and on the final page of this post the War Dairies available from Forum Members and from various websites. ...

A continuing thanks for all members who support and thus enable this extensive list to be included. From the numbers visiting the post, it's clearly being used.

I just came across this war diary on-line, which I don't think figures on your list, Bernard:

1/6th Battalion South Staffordshire

http://blackcountry-territorials.org/articles/category/war-diary/page/3

It covers 1 Aug 1915 to 31 May 1918

Angela

The War Diary of the 1/9th and 2/9th Bns. King's Liverpool Regiment (and, from Jan. 1918 the 9th Bn.) are now available, fully transcribed on my website: www.9thkings.co.uk

Ken

Thank you, Bernard for all of your hard work on this project!

Thank you also to all who have added their war diaries resources!

This is a valuable resource and the forum members here are awesome!!:thumbsup:

Hi Bernard

Congratulations on the great work you have done to compile these war diary lists. We also have a request for help.

We are looking for a war diary that will cover the 1/8th battalion, Leeds Rifles (West Yorkshire Regiment) as my husband's uncle John (George) Cameron fought for and died (of wounds, buried at Hospital Farm Cemetery) as a member of this unit. We have his medal index card and know that he probably joined up in Leeds, landed in France on 16 April 1915 and died at Ypres on 8th August 1915. His number was 2935, which I think makes him an early volunteer. Only 115 graves are at Hospital Farm. Although his age is cited as unknown on CWCG, we know that our John was 29 (we have his birth certificate and he was born in 1884 so he must have perhaps joined up early in the war as a volunteer).

I found on a website which said that the 8th Battalion war diary for April 1915 - December 1917 is reference WO95/2795 and wonder if this is the one to be looking in. As we live in Australia it's going to be a tough job to get to Kew! We would appreciate any help. I was thinking about buying the Everard Wyrell's book as well, because we are very keen to find out what happened in those four months he spent in France and Flanders.

There is also another John Cameron, No. 14613, West Yorkshire Regiment, 11th battalion, who may also be a remote possibility as our uncle or a relative. Sadly he died 20 September 1917 (listed on Tyne Cot memorial), age unknown. We have found through general research that he may have joined up at York. His war diary will be different too, I guess.

A bit of background: My husband's mother was only 4 when her brother John George Cameron was killed, and 6 when her mother died of TNT poisoning as a Barnbow canary. We know that our John Cameron was married to Fanny Cameron and had a son (also John) the same age as his auntie (Michael's mother). Fanny remarried ( William North) in 1919. We also have a digital picture of his widow's penny which lists him as John Cameron (not John G)

Many thanks. This is a wonderful website!

Chrissie and Michael.

Contact through http://sites.google.com/site/chrissiemichaelsorg

Chrissie and Michael.

You don't have to visit Kew as the War Diaries you are after are available as a pdf download for a few pounds via the link below.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8199446&queryType=1&resultcount=7

If it doesn't work try and search under 'West yorkshire'

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/power-search.asp?searchType=powersearch

Once you have the pdf it will give you the information about where his Battalion was but as he was wounded you are unlikely to find out precisely where but you'll be close enough.

Perhaps when you have finished, we can inlude your pdf on the list. That would be very useful.

Bernard

HI Bernard

Thanks for your help. We have got the diaries now and are happy to add them to your list. Quite extraordinary.

Kind regards

Chrissie and Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please add:

1/4th Cameron Highlanders, Feb 1915 - Feb 1916.

2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers, Oct 1914 - Dec 1915

2nd Wiltshires, Aug 1914 - Dec 1915

2nd Yorkshire Regiment, Oct 1914 - Dec 1915.

Please add:

10th (Irish) Division.

29th Infantry Bde, Jul - Sep 1915

30th Infantry Bde, Jul - Sep 1915

31st Infantry Bde, Jul - Sep 1915.

Now 30th Division's turn. All these are April 1917

2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers

2nd Yorkshires

2nd Bedfords (repeat but additional material to the transcript - maps etc)

17th Kings Liverpool

17th Manchesters

18th Manchesters

19th King's Liverpool

19th Manchesters

20th King's Liverpool

90th MG Coy

21st Inf Brig HQ

89th Inf Brig

90th Inf Brig

30th Div HQ Staff

Jim

Bernard

I've just been asked for one of these for a time other than April 1917. I think you missed the top message that said all of the following are only April 1917 - sorry if it means a lot of editing! Just don't want to let folk down as most are only available in Kew, not online.

Promise I will add some more to your list soon. Haven't had the time lately.

Jim

PAGES 1 AND 6 UPDATED 1st DECEMBER 2010

I have corrected the entries as requested by Jim. Sorry if anybody was mislead.

Bernard

PS Just reading about Auber Ridge in May 1915 - now some men were mis-lead

Thanks Bernard. I will endeavour to add to your lists sometime soon. Where is the time going? :unsure:

Jim

Thanks Bernard. I will endeavour to add to your lists sometime soon. Where is the time going? :unsure:

Jim

Jim

And its not just time that takes off. The WD list has got bigger and appears very popular as a first port of call especially when your particular interest isn't immediately available as a download. Look forward to the additions.

Bernard

Great thread and the work involved in compiling the list is appreciated, many thanks to those who have added thier own WDs.

For anyone who is interested, I have a hard copy of 5th Royal Berkshire Regiment WD for 1914 - 1918. If anyone requires a look up, PM me and I will assist.

Regards, John

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATED 21st DECEMBER 2010

I have included details of 1/4 Ox & Bucks and 6 Welsh Reg. Many thanks to all members who offer look-ups of diaries in their possesion.

Provided nobody objects, in future I propose to include any war diary for which look-ups are offered rather than PM members for permission to list first. It will mean the list is just a tad more uptodate then it when waiting approval. In future, I will try and list new entries.

Bernard