Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries - Available Free UPDATED 1st July 2012

jainvince

Dear Bernard

I have the Battalion diaries for the 3rd Battalion Canterbury Infantry Regiment ~ New Zealand Division

March 1917 to September 1917

November 1917 to December 1918

This is the complete date range for this battalion, bar October 1917

I am very happy to share with the forum

Wendy

• 1 month later...

Hi Bernard

I am happy to add to to your list

4th Battalion Grenadier Guards Aug 1915 - Jan 1818, Nov 1918 - Feb 1919

2nd Battalion Scots Guards August 1915 - Feb 1919

1st Battalion Grenadier Guards Aug 1915 - Feb 1919

Cam

Hi,

I have the 21st (Service) Battalion Royal Fusiliers War Diary, covering their period in the trenches November 1915 - February 1916 (when they went to GHQ reserve prior to being disbanded). I have the original manuscript in .pdf format and I have also transcribed it into Word.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

The misc List of British War diaries included on post 215 has been edited today to include 95 Batteries RFA.

Bernard

I can add to the lists from post 279:

All 27 Brigade, 9 Division:

9 Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) - May 16 to March 18

6 KOSB - May 16 to March 19

6 Royal Scots Fusiliers - May 15 to May 16

Hi Bernard

Could you add the following to your list please

21st Middx June 1916 to May 1918

40 Division November 1917 to April 1918

119 Brigade March 1918 to April 1918

Thanks

Ian

UPDATED 30th JUNE 2012

As mentioned elsewhere the list has now gone 'Cloud Based' with Media Fire and can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?b6z1u84t3wgpp7s

For the moment I am not removing the pdfs or other remaining lists aliet they are now out of date. Have a try at the new method but if you have a problem PM me and i will email you the Master List.

Bernard

UPDATED 1st JULY 2012

As mentioned elsewhere the list has now gone 'Cloud Based' with Media Fire and can be downloaded from the link below. Please bear with me on the new methodology as I am new to hosting excel spreadsheets whilst ‘in the cloud’. I trialled downloaded the first Master Spreadsheet and found it was the earlier version was dated 28th June. It has now been replaced the lates version which now DOES include the many changes by ‘Ypres’. I originally thought that updating/uploading would simply update the file but it actually means that a new link is attached so each time I update it will be necessary for members to download the latest version. It may well be best to limit updates to at least weekly to avoid confusion. The latest is here:

For the Master List of Diaries Available Free from members download the file from here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bpm1tned4icovrr

When downloading you first get a pdf type version but once committed to the Download you do get the excel file. I have tested the latest download and it is correct. However, when trying, the website took some time showing the preview (like pdfs) so I skipped that and went straight to the Download button. Having accepted the download it came to me correctly.

Have a try at the new method but if you have a problem PM me and i will email you the Master List.

Note the pdf versions have now been removed from this post.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this up the list again. Remember, you can easily download the up to date lists from 'the cloud'. just use the link on the front page or go to the 'pinned' post at the head of the War Diaries section. Maybe some new members are asking before checking on the list so best get your own copy.

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Hi all I am looking for the war diary of the 9th Bn the Rifle Brigade from the 3rd to the 9th of April 1918, I wonder if any one can help ?

Thanks in advance regards Tony.

Dear all

Whilst i do keep looking for updates a return to employment from retirement means that I may well miss something. If I do then please put a reminder here and I will update the master list when I can.

I have answered Tony by PM.

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether this has been posted before - if so, I apologise for duplicating the information.

You can download a complete copy of the history of the 2/4th Battalion, Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, free of charge, care of Gutenberg at:

www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20395

Andrewr

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help with the WD of 1st Bn Worcesters 24th Bde 8th Div on and around the 1st September 1916??

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning,

The 5th battalion of the 9th division Scottish Highlanders were in our village of Overijse (Belgium-Flanders)after armistice day November 11, 1918.

They moved further to Germany and came back in January 1919.

Where could I find the war diaries of these Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders for that period?

Thank you for any help, which would be very much appreciated.

Yves Parmentier

Belgium

Hi, sorry if I'm being a bit thick but I'm new to the forum. Does this thread mean that many war diaries are available to members? I'm looking for a diary of the Queens Own Royal West Kent, 1st bn, for 7th November 1917 when my Grandad (Sjt Fred Wood Walker) died. If so, can you please tell me how to access them.

Alan

Yves and Alan

There are a couple of places to look to see if the War diaries you require are available either from members or from the National Archives. The lists were available within posts on the forum but modifications have made that difficult so they are now available as a download from the post via the link below:

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=181974

Alternatively, PM me and I will send you a copy of the relevant spreadsheets.

Now Alan, I have checked the lists and cannot find the War Diary you require so you can either ask via a separate post on the 'Soldiers' Forum or 'Units and Formation' forum. However, you may be best looking where the Battalion was using this website

http://warpath.orbat.com/index.htm

ot the link to the Lond Long Trail. Go through the various pages until you come to the correct one which indicates the 1st Bn Queens Own was involved in "Second Battle of Passchendaele. 26 Oct-10 Nov 1917".

According to 'On this Day' - see below - the "British consolidate new positions at Passchendaele; no German counter-attacks".

http://www.firstworl...hisday/july.htm

So your Granddad may have been killed around Passchendaele though more researches would clarify where.

Bernard

Thank you , Bernard. I followed your suggestion and looked into the links you provided. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything about the 9th division Scottish Highlanders, 26th battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. Could you find the relevant diaries for the period November 11th 1918 to end of January 1919 ? Thanks in advance. Yves (yves.parmentier@telenet.be)

Yves,

I'm a bit confused as to who you are actually looking for. I'm no expert but i think the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders were a WW2 unit.

The Cameron Highlanders War Diaries are here at the NA

post-10072-0-07375400-1357036782_thumb.j

Which battalion is it you want ??

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme, good morning.

I'm so sorry, because I cited a 26th battalion, as it had to be the 26th brigade.

In the 26th brigade of the 9th Scottish division there was a 5th Battalion Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders, that stayed in Overijse (Flanders-Belgium) after November 11, 1918, either before it went to Germany or when it came back from Germany.

So I'm looking for the War Diaries of this 5th Battalion for this period.

I think we had also a 7th Battalion of Seaforth Highlanders from the same 9th division because we have a gravestone in our churchyard of a soldier from this unit. We would also like to have the WD of these for the same period, if possible.

Many thanks and greetings

Yves

Historical Association of Overijse

Hi Yves

The 5th CH is as above, the 7th Seaforth is WO 95/1765

Neither appear to have been digitised.

May I suggest you start a new thread with those battalions as headings, you may be lucky.

I know from a WW2 Forum that others are willing to copy bits of diaries for a small fee if you want,

Regards and Happy New Year,

Graeme

• 4 weeks later...

Bernard

I have a hard copy of the WD for 11 KRRC for March 1918 and am happy to pass on any info others may want.

Heather

I have transcriptions of the 6th DLI (partially transcribed) and 7th DLI diaries online (links in my signature).

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this up the list again. Remember, you can easily download the up to date lists from 'the cloud'. just use the link on the front page or go to the 'pinned' post at the head of the War Diaries section. Maybe some new members are asking before checking on the list so best get your own copy.

Bernard

I can't access the 'cloud'. It tells me that the file doesn't exist or is not available.

Does anyone have access to the War Diary of the 1/5th King's Own, Royal Lancaster Regiment up to MAy, 1915, please? I can't find it for download on the National Archives site, or I would purchase it.

Thanks,

Ken