Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries - Available Free UPDATED 1st July 2012

jainvince

Graham

I understand that in March 1915 the 1/4th Battalion of the South Lancashire Regiment were in the 3rd Division, 7th infantry Brigade but whilst the War Diaries of some of the Regiments in the Brigade are available as a download from the National Archives, the Regiment you want isn't listed.

It is likely that the available war diaries would give clues but I would suggest that before you get a download you make a separate post requesting the required information as most members only look here for available diaries and updates. A separate post may get an answer from an expert on the Regiment.

Bernard

Bernard,

Many thanks for your prompt reply, does the fact that the war diary isn't available as a download mean that there isn't a war diary for the 1/4th south lancs regiment ? or does it mean that it can only be accessed in person by going to NA in Kew ? or perhaps it was burnt during the last conflict ?

However as I am not planning to go back to England before spring I will try a new post as you have suggested.

Once again many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Graham

Hi

I have 114 INFANTRY BRIGADE:

10 Battalion Welsh Regiment 1915 Dec. - 1918 Mar

13 Battalion Welsh Regiment 1915 Dec. - 1919 May

14 Battalion Welsh Regiment 1915 Sept. - 1919 May

15 Battalion Welsh Regiment 1915 Dec. - 1919 May

Please add them to your list

Cam

sorry and these ones as well

114 INFANTRY BRIGADE:

Brigade Machine Gun Company 1916 May - 1918 Feb.

Brigade Trench Mortar Battery 1916 Jan.

Been away from this forum for a while...actually quite a long time. Apologies if I have missed any requests. Back now if anyone needs anything...might have missed a few requests, but feel free to ask for any I have, as I seem to have my name next to one or two :)

Ones to add:

1/1st BUCKS -- NOV17 - MAR19

1/4th ROYAL BERKS -- NOV17 - MAR19

1/5th GLOUCESTERS -- NOV17 - AUG18

145th MGC -- NOV17 - MAR18

Regards,

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for these postings, Bernard. They are a great help.

Feel free to put me down for the MEF war diary of 5/Dorsets, covering 1st September 1915 - 30th September 1915.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bernard!

Tried to send you a P.M. but it did not work. I am wondering if you would share the Queen Victoria Rifles (London Reg.) diary for March April and May of 1918. I understand that the 1st/9th absorbed the 2nd/9th in February 1918.

Thanks,

Hazel C.

Greame

Trying to add the link to the Master List I received an error message to say page not available. can you check the link for me, please.

Bernard

Hi Bernard!

Tried to send you a P.M. but it did not work. I am wondering if you would share the Queen Victoria Rifles (London Reg.) diary for March April and May of 1918. I understand that the 1st/9th absorbed the 2nd/9th in February 1918.

Thanks,

Hazel C.

Hazel

My inbox was full so that's why you couldn't PM me. Have emptied a few so please PM email address and will send WD by return.

Bernard

I have the War Diary for 431 (Siege) Battery, RGA from 17th September to 31st October 1917 - PM if you would like a copy.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATED 13th April 2012

This update includes changes to both the Main British War Diary list (post 1) and the Misc British War Diaries (post 215) to include diaries advised by pwtgb.

I have also listed diaries which are on Flickr. However, having been advised that the number of active media on the post exceeds limits I have had to make them inactive although one remains. If you want to activate the flicker link copy it to your browser and add www.

Thanks to all who list diaries for members.

As the list of diaries is on different posts, any member who would like the spreadsheet please PM me but can you request 'WD Master List' please.

PLEASE SEE IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN POST 242

Also, the list of War Diaries available by download from the National Archive is here:

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=172027

Again, this list is available as an Excel spreadsheet. If you require a copy please request 'NA List of WDs'.Bernard

Hi bernard

10 Highland LI www.rhf.org.uk/Books/WARDIARY10HLI.pdf

7 HLI (1915) www.rhf.org.uk/Books/7thHLIWarDiary1915.docx

regards,

Graeme

Hi bernard

More for you

1/4th Battalion, Oxs and Bucks

http://www.weymouthsands.co.uk/diary/oxbucks.htm

(Is this member Colin Greens site ??)

1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers

http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/1-batt/war-diaries/

(Most months, except the bloomin' month I want, April 1918)

Your link to the 10th battaion RDF does not appear to work. Try this one

http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/10-batt/10th-war-diary/

the 1st Battalion, Middlesex regiment link dosen't work . Use this one

http://freespace.virgin.net/howard.anderson/actions.htm

The 23rd Royal Fusiliers link doesn't work. Use this one

http://www.bigenealogy.com/royal-fusilers.htm (Fusiliers is spelt incorrectly on the web site address !!) (Not really a War Diary - merely a history)

Graeme

Hi bernard

More for you

Graeme

Graeme

Many thanks for the working links and additional links. The links used to work but over time they may well change so it's good that they are spotted when they stop. Must admit that what with my own researches, converting a railway station into a History Centre plus other things time dissappears.

Bernard

And

2nd Lancs Fusiliers - OCT 1914 UP TO AND INC. FEB 1919

Hi, thanks for offering help. I would appreciate it if you would search for:

Dr Charles Reginald HUXTABLE MC

Dr Brian WIBBERLEY MC

is that enough detail? I didnt know whether you had it typed up and its searchable easily or not.

thanks

Lina

Hi Bernard

Sounds like a very busy project !! I feel shattered just thinking about it !!

Anyway

another for yoy from Flikr

7th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, April-August 1917

http://www.flickr.com

(then add)

/photos/11226331@N05/sets/72157625700152520/

AND

8th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

/photos/11226331@N05/sets/72157625582410869/

245 MGC

/photos/11226331@N05/sets/?&page=1

Graeme

Just wondering if anyone has the RAVC war diary: Part IV Egypt, Palestine and Syria; Lines of Communication Egypt and Palestine Troops; WO 95/4754; 20 Veterinary Hospital; 1917 Mar – 1919 May.

Thanks everyone for making all these fantastic resources available.

Pat

Greame

Thanks for the further links which have now been included.

Those who have the spreadsheet should have received the updated version this (Thursday) evening.

Pat and Lina

You would have a better chance of getting a positive reply if you started a separate post as this post tends to be used by those offering War Dairies for the list or looking up what is available.

Bernard

Graeme

I haven't quite sorted out the problem but I believe it relates to the software on this forum which shortens the web address. For those links posted on the website for inclusion in the list, they worked on the spreadsheet but once copied back onto failed to do so. I have again been to the websites and included the full address on the spreadsheet hoping that the abbreviated version may then work. However, for some I have simply removed the hyperlink from the spreadsheet so it will be necessary to copy the address over to get to the site. A bit tedious but it works.

Bernard

IMPORTANT NOTICE

As the comments between Graeme and myself indicate there are problems with certain hyperlinks which may be related to the way that the website deals with hyperlinks. Increasingly I will include the web address but remove the hyperlink from the base spreadsheet. You may then have to copy the address into your web browser to activate the link.

I will keep investigating to see if I can resolve it.

Bernard

Hi

I have a few additions for your next update:

14th Durham Light Infantry 1/12/15 to 1/2/1918

2nd Dragoon Guards "Queens Bays" Aug 14 - Dec 18

5th Dragoon Guards Aug 14 to Nov 17

Cheers

Toby

UPDATED 29th April 2012

This update includes changes to the Main British War Diary list (post 1)

I have also listed diaries which are on Flickr. However, having been advised that the number of active media on the post exceeds limits I have had to make them inactive although one remains. If you want to activate the flicker link copy it to your browser and add www. See also post 272 regarding the working of certain 'hyperlinks'

A small but growing number prefer to have a copy of the WD Master spreadsheet. If you would like a copy which is automatically forwarded to you when updated please PM me.

PLEASE SEE IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN POST 242

Also, the list of War Diaries available by download from the National Archive is here:

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=172027

Again, this list is available as an Excel spreadsheet. If you require a copy please request 'NA List of WDs'.

Bernard