Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling Ordnance Corps Experts!

Willywombat

I have been asked to research the following on behalf of a friend:

WO1 03298 (7579303) William George CUTHBERT. AOC (later, of course RAOC).

I have managed to find a pension record for him, which helps a great deal, but I'm a little stuck trying to ascertain exactly which unit he served with, and what they did. Attached is a scan from a page of the pension record, which suggests he was with 29 S Company RAOC (NF).

It appears he enlisted in 1914 and was steadily promoted throughout the war, reaching the substantive rank of Second Corporal, but acting WO1 and "S/Cdr" (Squadron Commander??).

I'm not very experienced at all in AOC/RAOC research. Can anyone help me as to what all this might mean?

Many thanks,

Bob.

post-12738-1270659346.jpg

Hi Bob

cant help much, your man has a 15 trio, the "S" is for suply/stores coy

the AOC/RAOC held all stores for the army, from boots to guns

the "NF" is for NEW FORCE which meant they only enlisted for the duration of the war, the fact that he has a new army number 7579303 means that at the end of the war he signed on for a few more years

s/cond means he was a WO 2, a senior nco

Ian

Thanks, Ian. Do you or anyone else know if Supply/Stores companies kept war diaries?

Thanks, Ian. Do you or anyone else know if Supply/Stores companies kept war diaries?

Hi,

S/Cdr is Sub Conductor. Conductor is a WO1 appointment still conferred in the RLC. A Conductor takes post on parade as a subaltern officer - I know this will prompt disagreement but it is the senior Warrant Officer Class 1 Appointment in the British Army.

Cheers,

Martin

• 9 years later...

Muerrish,

To be fair to Martin I'm not sure we had an Army Sergeant Major in 2010. I think the position started in about 2014-2015. 

Apologies if this is off topic.

Kind regards

Colin

32 minutes ago, Colin W Taylor said:

Muerrish,

To be fair to Martin I'm not sure we had an Army Sergeant Major in 2010. I think the position started in about 2014-2015. 

Apologies if this is off topic.

Kind regards

Colin

The conductor claim is inherently spurious: there were indeed warrant officers in the army well before 1879, and thereafter there was always a top precedence group of three or four appointments bracketed together, arranged officially alphabetically, within which group they ranked according to date of appointment or promotion.

I can give primary sources for all these assertions.