Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8312/Pte Patrick McLaney Cameron Highlanders.

mclaney

Hi Folks,

This is my first post...I'm not very sure where to begin but here goes....

I would really appreciate some help in my search for my Great Grandfather and his 4 brothers Photos/Medals/WW1 service records.

My Great Grandfather has been the hardest to find info on...I've had some success with his brothers...

Anyway their details are as follows....

My Great Grandfather-

8312/Pte Patrick McLaney Cameron Highlanders...I believe he was in the 1st Garrison based in Inverness 1908.

He served in France where he was injured..discharged 25.5.15 according to his medal card.I would love to know where he was fighting and the nature of his injury if poss!

8482 L/Cpl William McLaney 2nd Batt Cameron Highlanders...wounded 15.5.15 (gun shot wound to face) discharged 1.1.16..Again i would like to know where his battalion was fighting when he was injured.

13036 Pte Martin McLaney 2nd Cameronians/Sco Rifles...K.I.A 23.10.16 at the battle of the Somme.His name is among the many honoured on the Thiepval Memorial.It would be nice to narrow down where his Battalion were when he was killed.

There were two other brothers who survived the Great War uninjured they are 24395 Pte Robert McLaney 1st Sco Rifles and

10341 Pte James McLaney 2nd Sco Rifles......not sure where either saw action....any info on any of the above would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks, Joe McLaney, Glasgow.

Joe. Are you aware that William has 23 pages of papers on Ancestry. The rest I cannot trace. Ralph.

Joe. Are you aware that William has 23 pages of papers on Ancestry. The rest I cannot trace. Ralph.

Hi Ralph, thanks for replying. Yes.... i'm a member on Ancestry which i've exhausted so to speak.

Info on William has been very fruitful.

I tried many searches before coming on the Great War Forum.

Thanks again.

Joe.

An extract from the 2nd Bn Scottish Rifles.

October 20th 1916....Bn paraded at 4.00.am marched to camp at Trones Wood, from where they marched to the trenches and relieved the 2nd Essex Regiment. Casualties 2 other ranks wounded.

October 21st 1916....Heavy shelling throughout the day by both sides. Casualties 6 other ranks wounded, RSM Chalmers hit by a sniper while leaving the trenches with the CO. In the evening transport suffered 4 casualties while bringing up rations to the trenches. Three animals were killed at the same time. A draught of 22 men joined for duty the same night.

October 23rd 1916....At 2.30.pm the Bn assaulted the German trench known as ZENITH trench opposite LE TRANSLOY with the 2nd Middlesex regiment on our left. Order of battle. First Line "B" and "D" Coy's. 2nd line "A" and "C" Coy's Both Bns gained their objectives and held them in spite of severe opposition; on our front entry into the enemy trench was only effected after the first were held up but the advance was carried out with the utmost gallantry and determination by all ranks under heavy artillery and MG fire.

This success was to a great extent due to the gallantry of 2nd Lt Ferguson, Sgt Hawkins and Pte Murray who bombed along the German trench 2nd Lt Ferguson being responsible for the destruction of three German machine guns. He was unfortunatly killed after clearing almost the whole front opposite the battalion. The 12th Bde of the 4th Div operated on our right and the 25th Bde on our left.

Total casualties were as follows

Officers Killed 6 Wounded 4 Missing 2.

Other Ranks Killed 47 Wounded 167 Missing 14

Total Casualties 240.

A very heavy day for the 2nd Bn Scottish Rifles. I hope this is of some help to you.

Aye Rob.

Joe.

An extract from the 2nd Bn Scottish Rifles.

October 20th 1916....Bn paraded at 4.00.am marched to camp at Trones Wood, from where they marched to the trenches and relieved the 2nd Essex Regiment. Casualties 2 other ranks wounded.

October 21st 1916....Heavy shelling throughout the day by both sides. Casualties 6 other ranks wounded, RSM Chalmers hit by a sniper while leaving the trenches with the CO. In the evening transport suffered 4 casualties while bringing up rations to the trenches. Three animals were killed at the same time. A draught of 22 men joined for duty the same night.

October 23rd 1916....At 2.30.pm the Bn assaulted the German trench known as ZENITH trench opposite LE TRANSLOY with the 2nd Middlesex regiment on our left. Order of battle. First Line "B" and "D" Coy's. 2nd line "A" and "C" Coy's Both Bns gained their objectives and held them in spite of severe opposition; on our front entry into the enemy trench was only effected after the first were held up but the advance was carried out with the utmost gallantry and determination by all ranks under heavy artillery and MG fire.

This success was to a great extent due to the gallantry of 2nd Lt Ferguson, Sgt Hawkins and Pte Murray who bombed along the German trench 2nd Lt Ferguson being responsible for the destruction of three German machine guns. He was unfortunatly killed after clearing almost the whole front opposite the battalion. The 12th Bde of the 4th Div operated on our right and the 25th Bde on our left.

Total casualties were as follows

Officers Killed 6 Wounded 4 Missing 2.

Other Ranks Killed 47 Wounded 167 Missing 14

Total Casualties 240.

A very heavy day for the 2nd Bn Scottish Rifles. I hope this is of some help to you.

Aye Rob.

Hi Rob, that's absolutley fantastic!

Thanks very much.