Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25th April celebrations.

stilllooking

Hi All,

I read there was a dawn celebration on April 25th in Grangegorman cemetary last year. My Great Grandfather is buried there so I'd like to bring my mother and aunt up from Cork to see the grave. My Great Uncle landed with the RMF from the River Clyde at V beach on 25/4/15 so I'd like to attend any memorial that the RDF are organising to remember the fallen from the terrible morning.

If anyone has any information on up coming memorials I'd be grateful if you could post same.

Best regards,

Tim.

Hi all

25 April, Gallipoli Day or Anzac Day, is not a day of celebration.

It is a day of commemoration marked by commemorative services in many parts of the world. These are sombre and relective and I have never yet been to one (and I've been to many) where I have been able to contain my tears.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tim,

It is a lovely, moving service at Grangegorman, which is only about a twenty minute walk from Heuston. As I'm still researching the men who landed from the Clyde I would be grateful if you could let me know any details you have on your g.grandfather e.g. name, where he came from etc.

Regards,

Ken

judy7007 Posted Apr 7 2010, 09:15 AM

Hi all

25 April, Gallipoli Day or Anzac Day, is not a day of celebration.

Judy,

The 25th April is a very particular anniversary. It is important to so many different people, from so many different backgrounds, and from so many different parts of the world. Just look at a list of those who served at Gallipoli. [At the risk of offending someone by an inadvertent omission, here are some (if not all) of them] There were Australians, British, Egyptians, French, Indians, Irish, Jews, Maltese, Nepalese, New Zealanders, Newfoundlanders, North African, and Sri Lankans: the list could go on, I am sure.

We remember and we celebrate. There will be those who do not celebrate, and this is there privilege. However, there will also be a certain number of people whose background is Christian and whose believes are based upon one person's sacrifice 2000 years ago. Just as they celebrate Holy Communion or celebrate the Mass, then they also celebrate the 25th April 1915, when a few, made a sacrifice for the many.

Therefore, I cannot dismiss their use of the word 'celebrate', neither can I condemn it.

I hope that you and yours are able to keep 25th April, in a way that is significant for you all.

with best regards

Michael