Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Army in India medals

WHC Dennis

Hello please can anyone indicate the likely reading/meanings of the attached medal card notations for my Gt Grandfather who served in Royal Engineers Roorkee Military Works - British Army in India from 1911?

Many thanks

Andre

post-54322-1270481382.jpg

"Claimed By Indian Government"

The Preceeding details refer to the Medal Roll page reference.

HB

"Claimed By Indian Government"

The Preceeding details refer to the Medal Roll page reference.

HB

Thanks OK, can you read too the 14 B *- would that be the British 1914 star? What is the Indian Govt claiming the award?

Thank you for your help

He was with a RE establishment that came under the control of the British India Government, and not the War Office in London. However, as the issue of medals were made from the UK, all claims for them were sent to the mother country so to speak. With regard to the MIC entry as depicted, it would appear that he received the British War Medal only, having served in one of the areas of India where troops were on active service, principally on the North West Frontier I think.

TR

"14B" just refers to a Roll Page [with the "X & dots" implying that was where issued from I suspect,

the 1914 Star was not issued for India [though in some circumstances the 1914~15 Star was]

HB

The X and dots probably links to his name or rank at the top of the card to tell the impresser which was the correct rank or number etc

He was with a RE establishment that came under the control of the British India Government, and not the War Office in London. However, as the issue of medals were made from the UK, all claims for them were sent to the mother country so to speak. With regard to the MIC entry as depicted, it would appear that he received the British War Medal only, having served in one of the areas of India where troops were on active service, principally on the North West Frontier I think.

TR

Thanks Terry that is extremely enlightening.

Cheers :D

Andre

TR

Hello again Terry further to our conversation, I am guessing that not all WC Dennis's medals are listed on his card either? I have attached an image of his ribbons from a hand coloured photo. I imagine it was coloured accurately, can you suggest what medals they might be looking at the ones pictured? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Andre

post-54322-1270876062.jpg

The medal index card is only for WWI medals, the others would be listed on seperate medal rolls. You will need to compare the postcard to a ribbon chart, the colours haven't come out well above.

Starting the second row I think is The Delhi Durbar Medal 1911:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishgu..._medal_1911.htm

The medal index card is only for WWI medals, the others would be listed on seperate medal rolls. You will need to compare the postcard to a ribbon chart, the colours haven't come out well above.

Starting the second row I think is The Delhi Durbar Medal 1911:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishgu..._medal_1911.htm

Many thanks for the lead, I think most of the ribbons here in retrospect are post ww1. The colours reproduced are poorly defined, but looks like territorial decorations; Victory 1919 and Efficiency 1930 medals. The Dehli Durbar connects with his likely service in India.

Thanks for your advice and helpful link.

cheers

13888 Sgt W C Dennis Royal Engineers was awarded 1911 Delhi Durbar Medal with a note of HQ, Ist Sappers & Miners in Peter Duckers' book on the Medal Roll

Peter

13888 Sgt W C Dennis Royal Engineers was awarded 1911 Delhi Durbar Medal with a note of HQ, Ist Sappers & Miners in Peter Duckers' book on the Medal Roll

Peter

Hello and thanks Peter, I have tracked the likely medals now and waiting on print record from MOD.

Andre