Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred ROUND

GraemeClarke

Hi

On the Brownhills roll of honour is an Alfred Round Private North Staffordshire Regiment.

Local papers printed a picture of him;

post-10072-1270460691.jpg

and made at least 3 references to him as being killed . From the last one dated January 1917

post-10072-1270460855.jpg

referring to his brothers, the 1881 and 1891 census form show that he was the son of James and Mary Round of Cannock,

then of School Street, Walsall Wood and lastly Spring Road, Shelfield. I have the 1901 and 1911 for his parents and have

an Alfred Round on the 1911 as boarding with the Paling family in Burton on Trent.

From the newspapers I have gleaned the following,

Alfred ROUND (believed to be Private 52600 North Staffordshire Regiment)

Born about 1875.

The Walsall Observer of Saturday 4 November 1916 gave details of Alfred recording that he was a married man with one child of Spring Road, Shelfield and that his wife had died within the last 6 months.

A miner at the Aldridge Colliery, he had enlisted in May 1915 and had served actively for 9 months before meeting his death.

The newspaper gave a date of death of Friday 22 September 1916.

The Medal Index cards indicate that Alfred also served in the London Regiment with service number 356307. It also records the address of the person making application for his medals as being 23, Oxford Street, Smethwick.

There is no trace of Alfred in the records of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission or the Soldiers Died in the Great War.

His service records are not apparent.

Where do I go next, please ?

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme,

Just a few things I noticed from his medal index card, that will probably hinder more than help.

The London Regiment service number appears to be post 1917 re-numbering. Although not uncommon that it could have been issued after he died, would you expect to see a pre-1917 number as well if he had transferred to them in 1916?

The MIC seems to imply that a duplicate set of medals may have been issued prior to those applied for in 1924. Who applied for them?

The MIC states that this man was discharged to SWB.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your input.

It all seems to suggest that he came home, after all !!

I realise its not 'uncommon' for names to appear on the RoH when they, in fact, survived (happened to a colleague's grandfather locally)

so this appears to be another case.

Cheers,

Graeme

• 9 years later...

Pension ledger gives his full name as Alfred Harold Round and year of birth as 1898. There aren't many people with this name in the BMD records so it seems reasonable to assume he was the man whose death was registered at North Bierley in 1966 and subsequently cremated at West Bromwich. He doesn't appear to be a non-com.

Fold3_Page_1.jpg.f11d2fb2bed1b8a5a6c57a09c62e6d49.jpg

Hi Paul,

Many thanks indeed for your input.

I'm on my Kindle at the moment so will check my research in the morning,

Regards,

Graeme