Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for Answers

Guest bdbarry

Guest bdbarry

Hello, from Canada,

! am trying to gather as many facts I can on my grandad James William Benson, so I can finish off a Family Tree. don't have alot of military information on him except that he was in the DLI, Regular Army, born in 1888 and was educated in an exclusive military school, below are three letters where he was possibly stationed at one time...I guess what I am trying to find is a timeline for him from his military start, What miliary school he attended? through his military career, where he was stationed and his duties, He was a Clerk in the army for a few years, but that's all I know. He also was a referee, for the wrestling matches at different camps.

I'm posting you a picture of my granddad and his team of wrestlers? from the military and the award they won? How can I get information on this?

James William Benson aka Bill

Letter #1--dated July 1, 1928 by Captain Heslop

1st Bn Durham Light Infantry

Mustapha Barracks

Alexandria, Egypt

Letter #2-- dated May 26, 1928

Spring Lodge

Barnard Castle

Letter #3--dated April 1930 regarding Sergt.Major W. Benson and his clerk duties

Harperley Park, Harperly, co. Durham.

After looking at the last sentence above, it seems he was also known as W. Benson, maybe I have been looking with the wrong info, time will tell.

I look forward to any help and information. thankyou and regards from Windsor, Ontario, Canada Dale (bdbarry)

post-16-1085102804.jpg

Try Emailing or writing to the regimental museum to see if they have any info on him. If you want the postal address I have it in my records