Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Norton Hospitals

callowbrack

I have been trying for some time to identify which hospital my father would have been in when he met my mother on a tram nearby to where she was living in 1917. She lived in Middleton Hall Road and I guess that the nearest tram route was that of Pershore Road. I have identified that Monyhull Hospital may have been the nearest for him to have got on the tram. However, I am puzzled by the existence of two annexes set up in 1915. One at Kings Heath and the other at Selly Park in school buildings. Because of confusion with the Selly Oak Hospital The Selly Park Annex was renamed Stirchley. I would like to find out exactly where this Selly Park/Stirchley hospital was and which road the school buildings were. It may be that they were closer to Pershore Road than Monyhull.

Thanks Michael McDonnell

Join the Birmingham History Web Ring and try find an old thread that definitely has lots on Bham war hospitals or put an appeal for info on it.

Michael

The location you are refering to is Raddlebarn Lane Council School, Selly Park. It was an annexe to 1st Southern General Hospital at Birmingham University from 1915 - 1919, and was know as the Stirchley Annexe or Stirchley Section. It had beds for 225 patients. Some of the buildings still stand I believe and can be found in the area of Gristhorpe Road / Raddlebarn Road.

TR