Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Guest fbdownes

Online Medal Roll

Guest fbdownes

Hi after waiting what seems months waiting for G/dads medal roll to come on line I am having trouble deciphering parts of it. I have attached a copy so if anyone can help be much obliged.

On the bottom line under the 14 Star entry it looks like to me

"cl Rose 31 1246 d d/23 1 20" Could this mean he claimed his medals in 1920 and have I read it right. Also top left in front of his name is a S with a blob any Ideas about that. Many thanks fbdownes

post-23-1085084634.jpg

HarryBettsMCDCM
Hi after waiting what seems months waiting for G/dads medal roll to come on line I am having trouble deciphering parts of it. I have attached a copy so if anyone can help be much obliged.

On the bottom line under the 14 Star entry it looks like to me

"cl Rose 31 1246 d   d/23 1 20"    Could this mean he claimed his medals in 1920 and have I read it right.  Also top left in front of his name is a S with a blob any Ideas about that. Many thanks fbdownes

"Cl. Roses,etc"; is the annotation for award of the Clasp "5th August~22nd November 1914" to the 1914 Star,so You Know He is entitled to wear the Clasp on the Star & Rose on the Ribbon when worn alone!He would have Claimed the Clasp & Roses As these were instituted After the end of the War,The Medals would have been issued Automatically{the Roll Numbers & Page Numbers Are listed above the Cl.Roses Line} reading up the:

1914 Star~ Page Number of The Medal Roll follows

BWM ~ Ditto

AVM ~ Ditto

Sorry can't help with annot. @ top of page S{unless its '#' for number?}

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The blob bit is because there is a duplicate MIC in the system with the name 'G Downes'.

ie like having a card 245***** Ian Bowbrick & 245***** I Bowbrick.

Ian

Guest fbdownes

Many thanks, again you have come up trumps. I don't know how I would have got on without the forum. fbdownes