Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mutiny as defined by the Army Act

Martin B

Can anyone provide me with the text of Section 9/1 of the Army Act defining the offence of Mutiny ? All help gratefully received ....

Martin,

Mutiny and Sedition are defined in Section 7; Disobedience to a superior officer in section 9.

Here are both paragraphs for comparison:

Section 7(1)states:

Causes or conspires with anyother persons to cause any mutiny or sedition in any forces belonging to His Majesty's regular, reserve, or auxilary forces, or Navy; or......

shall on conviction by courts-martial be liable to suffer death or such less punishment as is in this Act mentioned

Disobedience to a superior officer

Section 9(1) states:

Disobeys, in such manner as to show a wilful defiance of authority, any lawful command given personally by his superior officer in the execution of his office, whether the same is given orally, or in writing, or by signal, or otherwise, shall on conviction by courts-martial be liable to suffer death or such less punishment as is in this Act mentioned; and.....

Joe Sweeney

Martin,

Don't know if you need any more but Gerald Oram has written a couple of books on military discipline, one of which was on mutiny and desertion. I have seen them for sale at the PRO.

Rob

Rob,

My interest comes from the discovery that a number of men from the 10th Hussars were tried and convicted on charges of Mutiny whilst in Ireland during the 'emergency' there in 1921. The PRO file contains a cryptic description of the offences and I wanted to put some 'meat on the bones' as it were.

Many thanks for your help.

Martin