Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great personal diary

the_ageing_young_rebel

I recently got my hands on the scans of the personal diaries of Capt. Wookey of the 1/4th Gloucestershire reg and it proves such a great read that I thought you guys might like it or even find it useful in some way. So here are the first few pages. It starts on 8th Sept 1915 when Wookey returns from leave and a couple of days later is sent over the top to investigate the condition of the German wire. I can't make out some of the words and may have made a few mistakes so feel free to correct me. And if you like it I will upload some more. I've made the original scans available here:

http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu150/Scartissue57/September%201915/

Wednesday September 8th 1915

Left Victoria on return from first leave at 5.40. Arrived Folkestone somewhere about 8pm and left there at 9pm. Had a very quiet crossing. On board met an officer of 1st Northumberland. He had been a Lance Corporal in 4th Middlesex but had been given a commission after the attack at Hooge on July 20th by the battalion. Gave me many interesting details of the affair.

Boulogne at 10.30pm

Thursday September 9th

Left Boulogne at 12.53. Were told we should have to change at St. Roch. Sleep, none too easy in a train at the best of times proved very difficult with the fear of passing through the station continually in one’s eyes. Guard, there appeared to be none. Travelled with a couple of officers of the Indian Cavalry Corps who leapt out at Lou____ just as the train was moving out of the station. After all we did not change at St. Roch but at Amiens. From here to ____court we had a tedious journey in a crowded carriage enlivened with numerous halts. Arrived f- about 9am and left there in a motor bus soon after. The journey to Bus-_______ was quite pleasant, + we derived considerable amusement from ducking overhanging branches.

At Bus I discovered that the battalion was in the trenches at Hebuterne. The transport was at Authie + I got a lift there in a crazy kind of buggy to get my equipment. Found _____ were at H--- but met quartermaster who was good enough to give me an excellent lunch and a lift to the trenches in the mess cart. The latter proved a very safe but most uncomfortable conveyance. Springs were a minus quality and occasional walks a necessity.

Reported to CO on arrival at H---, found that A + D coys were in front line trenches. B + C in support billeted in H---. Rest of 144th Brigade similarly disposed. C coy’s billet was a sort of ruined Chateau + very comfortable, some rooms still being in good condition. After tea proceeded on a tour of support trenches + found them to be a regular maze. Managed to get a hazy idea in the gathering darkness + returned. In consideration of being a weary traveller _____ made me sleep throughout the night. The others worked in 2hr stretches on duty. This was not very arduous + appeared to me to consist of sitting in front of a blazing log fire with a enamel tumbler at one’s elbow. The ___ has discovered what he thinks to be an evidence of _____ in a mild form in C coy. Whole coy have _____ taken. Probably all nonsense. Makes coy very weak for trenches.

Friday September 10th

Stood to at usual time. A quiet day, no incident occurred worthy of notice. Paid a further visit to front trenches and gained somewhat a more definite idea of them, they are by far the most complicated system I have seen. Selman has been appointed Reserve ___

Saturday September 11th

A quiet night. During morning packed all our _____ in readiness to relieve A coy in the front line. Relief carried out at 2pm + passed without incident. Spent rest of afternoon in exploring my trench no. 18 (Bouillet) on the extreme right of the coy. On our right is B coy of the 8th Worcester R. Prepared map (approx. accurate) of trench. Quiet evening. No patrols sent out owing to our being so weakened. Nearly 50 men are absent from the coy owing to this epidemic, real or otherwise, and working parties are very small. Intend sending out patrols tomorrow night when we are to have 2 platoons 13th Manchester R. ____’s) in for instruction.

Our artillery wiped out a German working party in the early part of the evening and the Bosche is in an angry mood. From “stand down” till 11pm he shells at intervals, our artillery reply with interest. Infantry as usual doubtful which to dread most. A heavy battery (K’s) dropped three short early in the evening, but very little damage done.

Rest of night very quiet. Worked hard on _____

Saturday September 12th

Mid early morning duty. Nothing doing, both sides very quiet. From 9 – 1 working parties made considerable progress on ____. They are to have a 6 X T at ends. Much discussion and many rumours going round. These ____ are to be finished by Wednesday (there are 2 in the coy) and are obviously for attack, but whether they will be used is another matter. Seems more likely that we shall demonstrate while troops elsewhere (probably north) make a push. S____ demonstrations that involve going over the top are often more expensive than the real thing. Opinions differ in the coy. Beaven repeats his oft asserted saying “Fanny’s mad”, referring to Major General F______ well known and originality + fertility of invention. Slade on the contrary thinks that there is going to be a genuine push + not a whim of “Fanny’s”. I am inclined to agree with him.

The afternoon is quiet. In evening two Platoons of 13th Manchester’s arrive and early on 2 sections loose their way, but eventually turn up. There are two officers with them (Capt. Rees Jones an old Clifftonian and Lieut Roderick) both very decent fellows. Previous to their arrival there was some excitement; our “heavies” shelling their trenches to some purpose. My duty tonight commences at midnight and carries on till “stand down” Turn in at 9am and sleep the sleep of the just. At 11.30am awakened out of pleasant dreams by Slade who informs me in a voice pregnant with possibilities that I am to examine the enemy’s wire. This appears to have come through straight from CO. Apparently “Fanny” has the wind up and thinks the Germans are going to attack + not ourselves as the instructions are “to go up to enemy wire and discover whether he is lengthening his ____ and cutting passages through his wire.” Wakened up out of sleep as described the task appeared to be an appalling one. Slade and I adjourn to the mess where a stimulant has the decided effect: great preparations ensue, including covering parties bombers etc. O.C Coy himself leads the former. I carefully empty pockets of valuables in preparation for a possibly long sojourn in a German internment camp

Monday September 13th

Leave trench XV on this show about 12.15am with great ______ of _______. After proceeding about 200x however we halt and proceed to listen violently. Two working parties are heard, nothing else. Undergrowth very dry and crackling making it very difficult to walk quietly. We decide that this is not a suitable direction in which to explore enemy’s wire and retire. Ink given out, no pellets to hand so continue in pencil

On return I take Radford of no 10 platoon and go out from our right (French Bouillet 19) with the intention of exploring ground in front to find a better way of approach. We went out a long distance as I thought in front of our Trench. We suddenly arrived at a disused trench. We explored this for about 100 x and decided it was a German one. It consisted of a number of short lengths separated by walls of earth and gave the impression of being been dug in a hurry and only occupied for a short time and that a long time before as plants grew on the parapet. The sight of this trench brought home to me the fact that we must be a long way from our lines as the trench ran north + south from a group of trees called the “Seven Sisters” situated near the enemy line. It was getting light also and we decided to return. Got back without mishap + sent in report.

During the morning I examined our front and discovered that the trees were by the map 600 x from our trenches and 200 x from the enemies. I had penetrated therefore far further than I had intended. The Day passed quietly and nothing worthy of notice occupied. I decided during the day to patrol again that night and visited the 8th Worcesters on our right to compare notes. Found that S_____ of the 8th was also going out. We arranged that the ________ _______ ___ should be our_____ line + that neither was to cross it. Left time of going out open.

Tuesday September 14th

Came on duty at midnight + commenced making preparations for patrol, unfortunately bombers owing to a misunderstanding did not turn up. I therefore abandoned idea of a covering party + set out at 1.15am with L.Corporal B_____ Radford + Lieut Ware of the 13th Manchesters who was anxious to come. Incidentally B coy of the Battalion had taken the places of A coy for instructional purposes. The patrol went straight out and reached the disused German trench without incident. Here Radford found a ration tin marked “Rindsfleisch” thus conforming our previous idea that it was a German trench. We lay in the trench for about 1/2hr listening very hard. We imagined we heard many things but nothing occurred. We then proceeded to crawl forward, hitherto we had walked. Stopping every now and then to listen we advanced about 100 x bringing us presumably about 100 x from their trenches and 50 x to 60 x from their wire.

Here I had to decide whether it were best to visit the enemy wire or to explore the “Seven Sisters” group of trees which lay along a road junction and which we suspected as being held by the Germans. I decided on the latter as it seemed more productive of useful results. Possibly the greater distance from the enemy trenches may have helped me to a decision. We therefore swung round southwards and approached the trees from the German side. At the _____ of the trees there was nothing, + I expected nothing. The end on the road junction was the likely position to be held. There were two courses open, one to advance boldly up the road as if we were Germans the other to crawl up the side of the trees in the grass. I decided on the latter. I think now that I should have divided my party and sent 2 up the road + two outside. We crawled up by the trees and passed a 2 man ____ pit (unoccupied) on route. On arrival at the end we discovered there was actually a dug position under the last tree. The deep shadow however made it impossible to discover whether it was held. I had a nasty shock when I thought I saw the glint of a bayonet there. I was carrying a light ______ bomb + immediately removed the cover making all preparations for hurling ____. I then signalled Radford to go on road and approach left flank of post. He did so and advanced right into post to find it unoccupied. The post consisted of a short trench (3 or 4 men) with a couple of “_____” holes dug in the side and a _____ close by for ammunition. We found a wine bottle here which I gave to Ware. Just at this moment a number of rifle bullets came over close to us. We thought we had been spotted – it was 4 o’clock and getting quite light – so commenced a hasty retreat. Did not take long over the return journey and arrived back somewhere about 4.15am and made a report embellished later by a pretty map. The French “Plans ______” 1/10000 proved ideal for tracing an excellent sketch.

_____ disused trench and trees are marked on them. Mourning passed quietly. Slept till about 11am so don’t really know. Saw CO after lunch; he seemed rather pleased with the patrols report, expect he was impressed by the ____ + blue pencil on the sketch sent in, + he may have thought it was quite original.

At 4.30 B coy of 13th Marchester went out and A coy came back and took their places. W____ of B coy _____ me as being a capable fellow, that being said, all is said. Evening uneventful.

Between 8 – 12 midnight Clark went on patrol and reported enemy working on their wire. Does this look as if the Germans meant to attack?

Sept1915.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent post, look forward to more of it!

Many thanks!