Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was this man? Pte 3363 Thomas Hughes

Chris_Baker

If anyone can shed any light on this (and I accept from the start that it is a very long shot), I would be most grateful.

Private 3363 Thomas Hughes, 7th Battalion the London Regiment, killed on 25 September 1915. No personal details at CWGC; "Soldiers Died" only says he lived at City Road EC and enlisted at the battalion HQ. His service record can not be found.

I would like to determine who he is: age, address, next of kin. In particular, any connection with the Spitalfields area and Christ Church, Spitalfields.

Hi Chris

Putting Thomas Hughes into 1911 census with residence of Spitalfields brings up just 2 choices a father and son living at 38 Hanbury St Spitalfields E

Father Thomas Hughes age 39 born 1872 occupation fishcurrer in the industry column he has written haddock smoker born Spitalfields London

son Thomas Hughes age 18 born 1893 occupation french polisher born Spitalfields London

also in the house is another son James Hughes age 20 born 1891 occupation chairmaker in the industry column is recorded army worker and in the place of birth column is recorded Cambridge Barracks which has been crossed out.

Mandy

Chris.1901 Census :- son of Thomas and Rachael 36 Granby St Bethnall Green born Spitalfields 1893. Ralph.