Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme, Leo McKern

towisuk

I don't know if this link has been posted before, but I urge anyone who has not seen this, to have a look at this film available for viewing over the net.

http://www.archive.org/details/Somme_710

The best film on the Somme I have seen, and Leo McKern a superb Narrator....

regards

Tom

Hi Chris, I had a look in "search" using "Leo McKern" and nothing came up for this topic, so I posted the link. I have never seen this before and found McKern's performance in describing what occured July-November 1916 mesmerising....

Then looking to see if it was available on DVD using Google I came across the film on your website. Anyway I have downloaded it direct from internet archive because I'm sure I'll be watching it again and again.

regards

Tom

ps. Film made in 1976 for other readers of this topic...

This has been a favourite of mine ever since I first saw it. Somewhere I have a much-used video tape of it. I must say, though, on re-watching it lately my rating of it has declined, possibly as I increasingly perceive it to be rather too focused on the arty and on 1 July. Nothing wrong with that; every programme needs a focus, a viewpoint. What I am about to say is deliberately overdoing it to make a point, but it is not really about the Battle of the Somme. It's about pals and 1 July and being mown down in the first few minutes, while the poets and artists wrung their hands. As such the programme has done it's bit to reinforce the stereotype. It is well produced and atmospheric and McKern is excellent, so remains a favourite .. but if only someone could make a programme as good as that, that actually tells the whole story ... and we are now thirty years on ...

If any one requires a DVD Copy of the afore mentioned Documentary,please PM me.