Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caledon, Co. Tyrone

Tonym

Have just received an email from CWGC confirming that Staff Nurse Emily Gray had been accepted as a War Casualty by the MOD.

My thanks to all of you who put me on the right track. I have just telephoned the Presbyterian Minister in Minterburn, Co. Tyrone, where Emily is buried, and she is overjoyed.

I think that justifies a wee tot - only got 'Scotch'but I will pretend that it is 'Irish'

Cheers, Tony

Tony

Sterling work and good news indeed. It was well worth the detour to Caledon/Minterburn on a very snowy day in March. If anyone ever wonders why most of us do this - this is a fine example. "Not One Should Be Forgotten"

Regards, Tommy.

PS: I shall also raise a glass tonight - Bushmills Malt of course!

Your persistence has certainly paid off

I get the impression that there are a number of "unrecognised" war graves in Ireland, and it is only recently that anyone has started to take an interest in them

This thread is a useful example about how to go about the process in Irealnd

• 1 month later...

email received today from CWGC

Quote "You will be pleased to hear that the grave has now been located and we are in the process of seeking permission to mark the grave with a recumbent tablet marker. I have also added this lady to the casualty database. The master website will be updated in the next couple of days."

PS for Tommy McClimmonds

If you are in the area, one day later on, a photograph of the grave with tablet marker would be most appreciated.

Tony

Tony

I don't think the church authorities will have any objections to the recumbent CWGC tablet marker and yes I'll check for you again in a few months time when I'm out and about.

Regards, Tommy.

Name: GRAY, EMILY

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

Date of Death: 16/01/1919

Additional information: Daughter of Mary Gray, of Sherries Hill, Calidon, Co. Tyrone.

N.B.: Recent research has shown that Staff Nurse Gray is buried here.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 1st Grave on left side of gate in the graveyard

Cemetery: MINTERBURN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH GRAVEYARD

CWGC apolgise for spelling error [Calidon] and will be changed in a couple of days

Tony