Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caledon, Co. Tyrone

Tonym

I am looking for assistance from someone with a knowledge of the cemeteries in and around the Caledon area of Co. Tyrone.

I am prepareing a case for a Staff Nurse who died in 1919 to be commemorated by the CWGC. The details in her Service Record strongly suggest that her mother had her buried, at War Office expense, in Ireland which, I have to assume, would have been in her hometown but there is no indication of cemetery.

Is it possible that some with a good knowledge of that area may be able to identify the cemetery/cemeteries in that area to whom I can make contact or idealy be able to research the cemeteries to ascertain where the unfortunate lady is buried. The lady in question is Staff Nurse Emily Gray, QAIMNS who died 16th January 1919.

It would also be useful if someone could identify a local newspaper or town archives to whom I could make further enquiries.

Will be most grateful for any assistance

Tony

You could try the Rootschat forum for Tyrone, you are more likely to get a local person on that.

It is a bit hit and miss, but I have found very helpful people living in many of the Irish counties on the local boards there.

Presumably you have tried emailing

http://www.caledon.org.uk/

Then there is Co Tyrone gravestone project

http://tammymitchell.com/cotyrone/

I could not find it there, but could be worth while asking them

corisande

My sincere thanks, I wiil try all three.

I did search Google for a Co. Tyrone Discussion Forum but what seeemed to be the most appropriate all appeared to concentrate on Travel enquiries.

Tony

Another thought is

http://www.qaranc.co.uk/qaimns.php

who are very helpful

And you cold PM "Sue Light" on this forum

possibly her on the 1911 census?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...llynaul/863892/

Killynaul is between Minterburn and Caledon.

On the Dungannon War Memorial :

http://www.ulsterwarmemorials.net/html/dungannon.html

and listed on a memorial in York Minster :

http://www.qaranc.co.uk/war_graves_memorials_nurses.php

and Belfast Cathedral

http://www.belfastcathedral.org/heritage/military-memorials/

Her signature can be seen on the Ulster Covenant

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCov...age=W0035750008

Her signature can be seen on the Ulster Covenant

So you won't be looking in Catholic graveyards!

And she does appear to be Presbyterian, so you want the Presbyterian church nearest Killynaul

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...ledon-pres.html

as well as today, one there in 1910

http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirect...910/Caledon.php

If you are not getting the info online, cut out the middleman and phone the village shop

Phone number: 028 3756 9792 : 20 Main Street, Caledon, County Tyrone, BT68 4TZ

As them if there is a Presbyterian minister who you could phone, or a local historian who could help

Tony

She is not listed on the Presbyterian ROH for Caledon or Minterburn Presbyterian Churches, but there is a Frank Gray listed for Minterburn who served with the Australians. She is also not listed in Ireland's Memorial Records.

I will be near the area tomorrow and if I get time and weather permitting, it's blowing a gale here at the moment and there's 3 inches of snow, I will see what I can turn up for you in the Caledon Presbyterian cemetery.

Regards, Tommy.

johnny and corisande

Two wise men from the North bearing gifts, I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

I did get a copy of the 1911 Census and yes, apart a discrepancy in a couple of the ages, it was the same family. I also discovered that her brotherFrank served in the Australian army in WWI and apparantly survived until at least 1944. He has a Service Record on the Australian War Memorial site but at 28$ Aust I might consider that later, he is not important to my immediate research.

The fact that they were Presbyterian should also limit the cemetery search and I will certainly be in touch with the Village Store.

My sincere thanks to you both.

Tony

corisande

"And you cold PM "Sue Light" on this forum"

Sorry missed that comment - It was Sue who gratefully photographed Emily's NA Service Record for me.

Tony

I also discovered that her brotherFrank served in the Australian army in WWI and apparantly survived until at least 1944. He has a Service Record on the Australian War Memorial site but at 28$ Aust I might consider that later, he is not important to my immediate research.

Tony,

Australian service records are digitised and free to view.

Frank Gray :

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.as...mp;I=1&SE=1

2823 98 Depot Unit, joined 3/11/1916 aged 35, a railway employee. mother Mary, in Caledon, Co Tyrone. Wounded in action 17/7/1918

Discharge address Armadale, WA.

Johnny

Tony

She is not listed on the Presbyterian ROH for Caledon or Minterburn Presbyterian Churches, but there is a Frank Gray listed for Minterburn who served with the Australians. She is also not listed in Ireland's Memorial Records.

I will be near the area tomorrow and if I get time and weather permitting, it's blowing a gale here at the moment and there's 3 inches of snow, I will see what I can turn up for you in the Caledon Presbyterian cemetery.

Regards, Tommy.

I phoned the Village shop in Caledon this morning and asked the lady if she know of a Presbyterian Minister, she gave me a name and then enquired why I was asking, when I told her she said you don't want the Minister you need to talk to the Sexton, been there for years. Gave

me the number, I phoned had a chat and is going to phone me back, I assume checking the Death Register. So if I get a definite location will come back to you if that is OK?

Regards, Tony

Tommy

Sorry forgot to say Frank Gray was her brother, apparantly emigtrated to Australia before the war. He is listed on the AWM but at £17 for his record I might do that later.

Tony

Re your chat to the village shop. That is one of the really nice things in researching in Ireland, people put you on to other people, and always seem very keen to have a chat

Tony

I couldn't find any reference to "Gray" headstone/plot in Caledon Presbyterian Church Cemetery but I did discover a couple of other things to interest me.

Drove the couple of miles down the road to Minterburn Presbyterian Church and there is a "Gray" family plot in that cemetery but unfortunately there are no names to reference to say if it's the same family. The Minister's details are on the plaque and she lives in Caledon so may indeed cover both churches. The sexton you mention should hopefully have a burial register for both cemeteries and if you let him know that the "Gray" plot is in the part of Winterburn cemetery directly across the road from the church he should be able to let you know who is buried there.

Regards, Tommy.

Hopefully this is the right plot!

post-29775-1270061129.jpg

Trojan work with the plot.

And I hope the weather has improved in Tyrone. Saw on BBC Internet, looks really bad, particularly for April

Tommy

I am most grateful and fingers crossed the Sexton will confirm it is the family that I am looking for and Emily's resting place.

Johnny

Perhaps I did something wrong, I got the impression from the instructions that you had to pay or is that only if you want an actual copy?

Corisande

My sympathy goes out to N.I. and Scotland at the moment, fortunately I live way down on the South Coast, my problem is persistant rain and cold wind stopping me from tidying up the garden. I am still wondering what the experts mean by 'Global Warming'?

So it appears that when I receive Emily's Death Certificate I can present my case for her commemoration.

My regards to all.

Tony

Amazing with the forum, you think you have reached the end of the road. Put something up and a fresh set of minds think about another way of skinning the cat.

Its has worked time and again for me, and I am delighted that you have run this hare to ground (well almost!)

Johnny

Perhaps I did something wrong, I got the impression from the instructions that you had to pay or is that only if you want an actual copy?

I just go to the site and download the images. No payment required. 11 pages there for Frank. Presumably the cost you're seeing is for paper copies.

Nice to see the plot info and the contact with the village shop.

Western Australia Death records for a Frank Gray produces :

Surname Given Names Sex Age Father Mother Place of Birth Registration District Registration Number Registration Year

GRAY FRANK 25 HARRY HYDE MARY ENGLAND 293 1896

GRAY FRANK Male DUNDAS 3 1919

GRAY FRANK Male WELLINGTON 148 1937

GRAY FRANK Male 55 UNKNOWN UNKNOWN PT HEDLAND 8 1955

GRAY FRANK Male 75 JAMES MARY PERTH 577 1957

GRAY FRANK SAMUEL 7W WILLIAM UNKNOWN UNKNOWN 124 1889

GRAYSON FRANK Male ROEBOURNE 7 1907

The Frank Gray who died in 1957 aged 75 looks to be your man (based on being 35 when he enlisted in 1916 puts birth around 1881/1882 and mother Mary)

Johnny

I used your ref and read through the pages, I note that he was wounded in action.

Yes, no problem at all with the village shop and the Sexton. The village shop got out their telephone directory and gave me the phone number and address of the Sexton couldn't have been more helpful.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

A slight delay due to a virus infection but Emily Gray's case for commemoration was forwarded today, Fingers crossed.

Tony

Good Luck then, Tony

Lets hope for a first time approval

Tony

Just out of sheer curiousty did the sexton confirm for you that Emily Gray was buried in the Gray family plot I identified in Minterburn Presbyterian Cemetery.

Regards, Tommy.

Tony

Just out of sheer curiousty did the sexton confirm for you that Emily Gray was buried in the Gray family plot I identified in Minterburn Presbyterian Cemetery.

Regards, Tommy.

Tommy

Sorry for delay still recovering from my virus attack. When I phoned back I spoke to the Sexton's wife and said that you had sent a photo of the GRAY's grave in Minterburn, she told her husband and he confirmed that would be her grave.

An email from CWGC ten minutes ago confirming that the case has now been forwarded to MOD. From the details that I saw in Emily's Service Record I fail to see how they can refuse. I am also surprised that she was not commemorated at the time.

Regards, Tony