Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My March 2010 Trip

trenchtrotter

Nige,

Thanks for your comments.....my sentiments exactly.

Anyhow some good news..the original owner of the disc 3910 Scott (Walter) survived the war ending up a QMS and returned to his wife Bella and three children. His sister joined him in Australia in the early 20s. He was originally from Kirkaldy in Scotland.

He was convicted of not having his gas mask with him and insubordination to a Officer of HM Forces in early 1918 and was severly reprimanded by his CO!

Amazing the records available at the AWM!

How he lost the disc I dont know.

That he was posted to the Pioneers is no suprise as his occupation was a carpenter.

Regards

TT

Maltz Horn Farm...seasonally appropriate and seems to sum up the soldiers suffering.

TT

post-15846-1270207388.jpg

Yours truely enjoying a "bumblebee" moment at one of my favourite spots just below High Wood. Warm, sheltered and a place to spend a quiet reflective moment. One can imagine the scene in the Summer of 1916. Soldiers sheltering, RAP, dugouts etcetc.

TT

post-15846-1270207901.jpg

Well, unless people want more I shall end with this one of a wood 95 years on. Shell and collapsing dugout.

It really was a great week and made special by company, weather, location and poignient finds.

Thanks for all the interest shown.

TT

post-15846-1270208142.jpg

Know the spot below High Wood, spent many hours there having lunch and reflecting!

Tony

Yours truely enjoying a "bumblebee" moment at one of my favourite spots just below High Wood. Warm, sheltered and a place to spend a quiet reflective moment. One can imagine the scene in the Summer of 1916. Soldiers sheltering, RAP, dugouts etcetc.

TT

Where on here TT?

Mark

post-1850-1270209576.jpg

Well, unless people want more I shall end with this one of a wood 95 years on. Shell and collapsing dugout.

I would love to see more of the trip and your incredible finds! After visiting the battlefields last October I have really enjoyed sharing your recent trip :)

Cheers

Sharon

Mark,

The map is really small. Easiest way is if you follow the track from Bazentin Le Petit (starts opposite the 9 Brave men memorial) that runs to the Marinpuich to Longueval Road the spot is in the valley to the right of the track.

That probably does not help. In the square that is second row down on the left and then third in. Only count the full squres!

TT

Thanks Sharon...

I am now collating all the names from the tags and will start a thread soon. I am happy as there was one man I just could not find, however having gone through every name and comparing numbers I have identified another...449147 Pte M Magloire Labelle 22 Battalion Can Inf Killed 4/10/16 aged just 21. Son of Marie Labelle, 90 Lois St, Wrightville, Liull, P Q Canada and the late Andre Labelle. Born Gracefield Q.C.

TT

NB the tag was a partial one only hence the difficulty.

Well, unless people want more

TT

TT

More please. It is great for people who for whatever reason are unable to make the trip.

Roger

Sorry about that but no matter, I've got you now..

Thanks and I like everybody else would love to see more of the trip..

Mark

Keep posting and showing photos, I love looking at photos from people's trips and seeing the amazing things they have found.

Mandy

For what it's worth, I agree that it is quite appropriate for you to retrieve these markers and research them.

If even one could be handed back to a relative, it would be fantastic.

I hope to find as much as you on my trip but if it is dry summer then the articles will not rise to the top.

I will be looking hard these are great pictures!!!

Cheers

Rick

Ok I will add some more photos....

This is Boom Ravine. On the right is Oxford Circus and the Gully. You are looking into the Ravine in the direction of the British assault ( I hope if I can read a map!!). This area was the scene of bitter positional warfare and an assault in the deep winter of 1916/7. Just before the picture was taken we had passed the French De Mineurs ( bomb disposal) who were in the process of destroying a particularly nasty unexploded shell. It was strange hearing the "boom" of the shell in Boom Ravine!

Regards

TT

post-15846-1270313004.jpg

This shard came from the Redan Ridge in the german area. If you were to find one shard of the broken pot I guess this would have to be it!!

A nice Prussian Eagle and Imperial Crown.

TT

post-15846-1270313185.jpg

Thanks for sharing details of your trip and all the pictures. Keep 'em coming, especially the artifacts.

I have now completed the first phase of the searches for the soldiers based on the most complete name tags and will start listing. I think at the risk of duplication I will list here (because I know many of you will want to know and perhaps will be watching here) and perhaps start another thread also though not sure which theme to post. I still have a bag of partial tags which will be much harder. I have though been stumped on what I thought would be some easy ones. Here are the three that are still taxing me and any help appreciated!!

.....C or G ? R. Francis

.....ORTON 5 CMR (Canadian Mounted Rifles)

.....W? SMITH 1 / CAN

Should be easy......!!!!???

TT

NB as a clue to help all are likely to be Canadian or Australian (unlikely based on fact only two are) and not likely to be Imperial (as none have been). All recovered have come from Regina Trench Cemetery or Courcelette Cemetery.

Regards

TT

Here is the "special one" for me. This is my Father In Laws uncle Francis Henry Tebbutt Nelson Battalion, RND, KIA 13/11/16 and buried on the Ancre. The wreath and two weathered crosses were place last November by Chris and I and the new cross this March. The image is Francis and I have left in the register. Always remembered.

TT

post-15846-1270320864.jpg

Nigel,

Thanks and I think you have claimed a name from the Mud.

Thats the 23rd name to be remembered and even if wrong we shall rememeber A Horton RIP!

Kind regards

TT