Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dkhd William Johnson tr. SABRINA d 20/05/15

christine liava'a

Remembering Today:

Deck Hand Arthur William JOHNSON, Mercantile Marine, Trawler Sabrina, who died aged 15 on 20.05.15. Tower Hill Memorial, London, UK

Name: JOHNSON, ARTHUR WILLIAM

Initials: A W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: Steam Trawler "Sabrina" (Hull)

Date of Death: 20/05/1915

Additional information: Son of John Edward and Florence Johnson, of 343, Hawthorne Avenue, Hull.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Pennant No 036, SABRINA, 379 tons launched 1899. Armed with 1 x 12 pounder & 1 x 6 pounder. Requisitioned 5th February 1915, renamed SABRINA II on 11th December 1915, served until 23rd March 1918.

No fate given.

The SABRINA is listed under ' Hired Yachts ' and not listed under ' Hired Trawlers '

In the list of renamed ships it appears the SABRINA was renamed SABINE possibly 1918. I can't find any more info.

There was also a SABRINA, built 1870,

A steam-powered inspection craft of riveted iron construction, built for the Directors of the Gloucester & Berkeley Canal Company but I don't think this is the one concerned but may be why the RN vessel was renamed.

Aye

Malcolm

Fishing vessel SABRINA (179 tons) was sunk by a mine 20.05.15 - 160 miles E.N.E. of the Spurn Light Vessel. 9 fatalities including the skipper.

Some references give date as 21.05.15 (possibly happened during the night)

The area known as Spurn forms the southern extremity of the Holderness coast and includes the unique feature of Spurn Head, a sand and shingle spit 5.5km long, reaching across the mouth of the Humber.

If the Sabrina 11 sank 16-0 miles ENE of Spurn, she would have been in the English Channel

post-1-1085083587.gif

Sorry, Christine. I think you have got that wrong!

Sabrina would have been out in the North Sea (ENE of the Spurn Light Vessel not south).

Also, she was the Sabrina. Sabrina II was a different vessel.

Ok I bow to your superior knowledge of the seas around Britain!

Christine

• 15 years later...

I think my maternal great grandfather was the skipper.His name was Blanshard.I've only just found this site so that's all I can put now at 23.45.I have all other details if anyone is interested. Kerieth.