Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artists Rifles named pc

grantmal

Another postcard bought by my brother in a West Australian second-hand store in the early 1980’s -- an Artist’s Rifles group, photographed by ‘G W Secretan, 210A Tufnell Park, N’, with the following signatures (or close to it) on the reverse:

W Leslie Bradfield

J E Randall

A K Sadler

Eric C Lambert

W H Hanna

G M Margrett

R Kissane

G Davis

F B Peete (possibly Neete)

J S Scott

Chas. H Appleyard

A ? Johnson

A G Conrad

John M Thorburn

W M Holman

V Vincent

CC Wall

B Membury

G F Hendy

S Leggett

A Jeffery

…….and two indecipherables, one of which looks like ‘S Something-Webb’

Appreciate any information about these men. If anyone would like a copy please let me know.

Good on you,

Grant

post-4061-1269615681.jpg

Hi Grant. Nice photo.

Perhaps B Membury?

Bertram J Membury 43437

10th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers. KIA 28/03/1918

Formerly 5157 London Regiment.

According to the Artists Rifles Roll of Honour a Joseph Edward Randall 5188 was commissoned into the 5th Border Regt on the 11/7/1916 and went on to be awarded the M.C and reach the rank of Captain. He was also attached to the Durham Light Infantry at some time.

He's the only J.E Randall I could find.

I'll have a look at the other names over the weekend, unless you get a better offer

Stuart.

Eric Clifford Lambert. 2nd Lieut & Lieut with the South Lancs Regiment.

Discharged SWB. Badge No. 341648.

There are two addresses on his MIC, the first in Kilburn NW6 and a later one in Parkstone, Dorset.

Phil

These appear to be the men in your photo:

W Leslie Bradfield: Cpl William Leslie Bradfield, 1 Artists, DOW 10 Jun 17

J E Randall: Capt Joseph Edward Randall, MC, 5 Border Regt.

A K Sadler: Lieut. Alwyn Kenneth Sadler, 5 Borderers

Eric C Lambert: Lieut Eric Clifford Lambert, 4 S Lancs

W H Hanna: Lieut. William Henry Hanna, S Wales Borderers, MiD, twice WIA

G M Margrett: Lieut George Montague Margrett, 15 London Regt., WIA

R Kissane: 2 Lieut Richard Kissane, 9 Bn, Lincolnshire Regt

G Davis: may be 2 Lieut. George Davis, 1 Artists (transferred from 10 London

F B Peete (possibly Neete): can't find a Peete or Neete with those initials

J S Scott: 2 Lieut John Lennox Scott, 1 Bn, A & S Highlanders

Chas. H Appleyard: Lieut. Charles Herbert Appleyard, 5 R Lancs, Twice WIA

A ? Johnson: 2 Lieut Arthur William Johnson, 7 Bn, Worcestershire Regt, attd 6 Royal Warwicks, once WIA

A G Conrad: Lieut Alfred George Conrad, 18 London

John M Thorburn: 2 Lieut John McCavey Thorburn, RGA SR

W M Holman: Lieut Walter Manley Holman, RGA SR, once WIA

V Vincent: may be Lieut Walter John Vincent, 23 London, once WIA

CC Wall: Capt Cyril Charles Wall, 16 Bn, Queen's Westminister Rifles, attd. 21 Bn, KRRC

B Membury: 43437 Pte Bertram J Membury, 10 R Dublin Fusiliers, KIA

G F Hendy: Lieut George Francis Hendry, 23 London

S Leggett: Lieut Sydney James Leggett, RA, once WIA

A Jeffery: Lieut Arthur Harold Jeffreys, MC, 7 Bn Middlesex Regt. attd. 11 Bn, R Fusiliers, once WIA, MiD

Regards, Dick Flory

Here's the citations for the M.C's awarded as mentioned in the Artists Rifles Roll of Honour.

Captain Joseph Edward Randall 5th Border

Lys and Lawe, 13th March 1918. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He carried out his work as Brigade Intelligece Officer with great energy. For four days he worked unceasingly, pratically without sleep and always under fire. His information was of great value, and he successfully guided counter-attack troops into their positions by day and night.

Captain Arthur Harold Jeffreys 7th Middlesex (Loyal North Lancs)

Givenchy, 18th April 1918. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. As soon as the enemy barrage lifted he ordered his company to stand to, and when found that the enemy had penetrated the trenches he led an immediate counter-attack and drove them back some distance. He then organised and led bombing parties to clear the enemy out, and join up with a company on the left. He succeeded in this, and although wounded, insisted on reorganising the sector, and did not leave till the next day.

Like Dick I couldnt find a Peete or Neete in the index or anybody who is a possible something-Webb.

The book also gives dates to those who were wounded if your interested

Stuart

Hi,

is it possible to see a scan of the rear of the postcard showing the signatures? Many eyes on and opinions may establish the identity of the difficult signatures...

Cheers,

Rick

That's a great photo, Grant; and nice to have the names.

William Leslie Bradfield was 5163. So you have three numbers there at least: 5163, 5157 (Membury) and 5188 (Randall). All of those numbers indicate joining dates of between the 17th and 26th November 1915 which in turn helps you to narrow down the date that this photo must have been taken.

Paul

Thanks everyone for the great work identifying these men. As requested, the reverse:

post-4061-1270014589.jpg

Good on you,

Grant

Looks like F.B. Leete to me.

Cheers,

Mark

Additional names are:

761129 Pte Dudley Unite-Webb, 28 Bn, London Regt.

Lieut. Francis Bertram Leete, 16 Bn, Lond Regt, WIA

2nd Lieut. William Samuel Bacon, 8 Bn, S Staffs, WIA

760853 (or 760851) Pte Frederick C Brambleby, 28 Bn London Regt (the Artist's Rifles Regt. Roll and the MIC differ in the last digit of his number)

The only name that I can't identify is the name just to the right of 'R. Kissane' (looks like 'A W Ghear' but no one by that name).

Regards, Dick Flory

Looks like F.B. Leete to me.

Cheers,

Mark

Well Done Mark,

5183 Francis Bertram Leete. 14/6/1916 Commissoned 16th Queen's Westminster Rifles, wounded 15/10/1918.

Other service numbers include

Sadler A.K. 5190

Scott J.L. 5191

Holman W.M. 5124

W.J Vincent 5398

Lambert E.C. 5182

Appleyard C.H. 5162

Wall C.C. 5142

Hanna W.H. 5121

Johnson A.W. 5154

Hendy G.F. 5153

Margrett G.M. 5112

Conrad A.G. 5167

Leggett S.J 5108

Kissane R. 5156

Thorburn J.Mc. 5878

Jeffery A.H 5127

regards Stuart.

• 3 months later...
Guest jacqueline membury
Another postcard bought by my brother in a West Australian second-hand store in the early 1980's -- an Artist's Rifles group, photographed by 'G W Secretan, 210A Tufnell Park, N', with the following signatures (or close to it) on the reverse:

W Leslie Bradfield

J E Randall

A K Sadler

Eric C Lambert

W H Hanna

G M Margrett

R Kissane

G Davis

J S Scott

Chas. H Appleyard

A ? Johnson

A G Conrad

John M Thorburn

W M Holman

V Vincent

CC Wall

B Membury

G F Hendy

S Leggett

A Jeffery

…….and two indecipherables, one of which looks like 'S Something-Webb'

Appreciate any information about these men. If anyone would like a copy please let me know.

Good on you,

Grant

post-4061-1269615681.jpg

Guest jacqueline membury

Hello Bertram john membury was my greatuncle and I have only just discovered his exixtance...I then came across your wonderful photo of his regiment, does anybody know whos who on the photo as I do not know of any other photos of him...thankyou

I apologise if I have posted this more than once but this is only my second post and I am still finding my way around regards.

AW Thear

Thear, Archibald White

Corps: London Regiment

Alan

Siege Gunner wrote:

The S Something-Webb is S Chute-Webb, I think.

Actually if you look at Post #12 you will see that it is actually: "761129 Pte Dudley Unite-Webb, 28 Bn, London Regt".

Regards, Dick Flory

Alan wrote:

There is a very high proportion of officers from that lot.

Yes, the Artist' Rifles was mainly involved in training officer cadets. Regards, Dick Flory

Siege Gunner wrote: .

Actually if you look at Post #12 you will see that it is actually: "761129 Pte Dudley Unite-Webb, 28 Bn, London Regt".

Regards, Dick Flory

So indeed it is, and I missed that in your post - thanks Dick ...

The only name that I can't identify is the name just to the right of 'R. Kissane' (looks like 'A W Ghear' but no one by that name).

I did not qualify my above post, how about the name just to the right of 'R. Kissane' being AW Thear

Thear, Archibald White

Corps: London Regiment

Alan

• 4 months later...

Another postcard bought by my brother in a West Australian second-hand store in the early 1980’s -- an Artist’s Rifles group, photographed by ‘G W Secretan, 210A Tufnell Park, N’, with the following signatures (or close to it) on the reverse:

W Leslie Bradfield

J E Randall

A K Sadler

Eric C Lambert

W H Hanna

G M Margrett

R Kissane

G Davis

J S Scott

Chas. H Appleyard

A ? Johnson

A G Conrad

John M Thorburn

W M Holman

V Vincent

CC Wall

B Membury

G F Hendy

S Leggett

A Jeffery

…….and two indecipherables, one of which looks like ‘S Something-Webb’

Good on you,

Grant

post-4061-1269615681.jpg

Hi

Details as follows on your list

W Leslie Bradfield: Unit: 1st Artists,Rank Cpl ,Died of wounds June 20th 1917 France

.J E Randall: Unit: The Border Regiment 5th Bn, Rank Capt , Awarded Military Cross.

A K Sadler: Unit: The Border Regiment 5th Bn, Rank Lt .

Eric C Lambert: Unit: The Border Regiment 4th Bn, Rank Lt .

W H Hanna: Unit: The South Lancashire Regt, Service Bn, New Army Rank Lt. Wounded Aug 21st 1917 & Apr 15th 1918, Mentioned in Despatches by Field Marshall Douglas Haig.

G M Margrett: Unit: The London Regt, 15th County Bn Civil Service Rifles, Rank Lt. Wounded Dec 22nd 1917.

R Kissane: Unit: The Lincolnshire Regt, 9th Service Bn , Rank Lt.

G Davis: Unit: from London Regt 10th Bn to 1/28, Rank Lt.

F B Peete (possibly Neete) F.B. Leete Unit: The London Regt, 16th County Bn, Queens Westminster Rifles, Rank Lt. Wounded Oct 15th 1918.

J L Scott: Unit: The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, 1st Bn, Rank Lt.

Chas. H Appleyard: Unit: The Royal Lancashire Regt, 5th Bn, Rank Lt. Wounded Apr 23rd 1917 & May 10th 1918.

A W Johnson: Unit: The Worcestershire Regt, 7th Bn, then Royal Warwick Regt Rank Lt. Wounded Sept 17th 1917.

A G Conrad: Unit: from London Regt 18th County Bn, London Irish Rifles, Rank Lt.

John M Thorburn: Unit: The Border Regiment 4th Bn, Rank Lt.

W M Holman: Unit: The Royal Artillery, Royal Garrison Artillery Special Reserve Rank Lt, Wounded Apr 6th 1918.

V Vincent: Not listed in Artists Rifles.

CC Wall: Unit: The London Regt, 16th County Bn, Queens Westminster Rifles then 21/ K.R.R.C., Rank Capt.

B Membury: Not listed in Artists Rifles.

G F Hendy: Unit: The London Regt, 23rd County Bn, Rank Lt. Wounded Apr 20th 1918.

S. J.Leggett: Unit: The Royal Artillery, Royal Field Artillery Special Reserve, Rank Lt, Wounded June 29th 1917.

A Jeffery: A.H. Jefferys: Unit: The Middlesex Regt 7th Bn, Rank Lt , Awarded Military Cross. Mentioned in Despatches by Field Marshall Douglas Haig.

Hope this helps out.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Just discovered this item, Cyril Charles Wall was my Grandfather. He enlisted in the Artists Rifles from the War Office 17 Nov 1915, Posted 2nd Lt Queens Westminster Rifles 15 Jun 1916 which would date the photo to the first half of 1916.

He served in France, Salonika, Palestine and France again. Post war he was demobbed in April 1919, then rejoined the 23rd Armoured Car Coy in 1923, serving in Iraq until returning to the War Office again in Jul 1925.

V Vincent

would I be correct in thinking that the artist rifles trained officers who then went of to serve in other regiments ?

page Xli of the regimental roll of honour of the Artist rifles Vivian Lieut Vincent 22/Durham L.I

page 464 of the above other ranks artist rifles 5157 Membury B.J

Regards Ray