Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Nursing Sisters

Peter Gower

I am researching Nursing Sisters with links to Kingston, Ontario. I would appreciate hearing from any who have ventured into researching members of the Canadian Army Medical Corps. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello Peter,

Nursing sisters' attestation papers are available for free on the collectionscanada website. If you don't know the women's names, then search the index for Canadian WW1 Soldiers on Ancestry. Put 'Kingston' for a location and then check out all the female names. If you can't look at the records on Ancestry then note the names and use them on the collectionscanada website.

Regards,

Alf McM

Peter, you have entered your request in two places on this Forum. I have provided a short listing on the other one. With respect, entering the request twice can only confuse users and clog up the system.

Hello Peter,

Nursing sisters' attestation papers are available for free on the collectionscanada website. If you don't know the women's names, then search the index for Canadian WW1 Soldiers on Ancestry. Put 'Kingston' for a location and then check out all the female names. If you can't look at the records on Ancestry then note the names and use them on the collectionscanada website.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you for your help. Peter

• 6 months later...

You will find several references in the following:

War Story of the Canadian Army Medical Corps

This is a very comprehensive "on-line" book on the Canadian Army Medical Corps during the Great War. This on-line book of some 300 pages [with text, figures and footnotes] includes the following chapters an Introduction, Rise of the CAMC, Assembly at Valcartier, Salisbury Plain, With the BEF in France, Second Battle of Ypres (Gas), Festubert, Givenchy, Plugstreet, Establishment of Hospitals in France, Stationary Hospitals and Other Medical Units. [Recommendation by marc leroux / www.canadianGreatWarProject.com][CEF Study Group - Jan 2006]

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/adami/camc/camc.html

The C.A.M.C. With the Canadian Corps During the Last Hundred Days of the Great War

The scanned 1924 document describes the actions of the Canadian Army Medical Corps during the Last Hundred Days of the Great War. One quarter of the total casualties of the Canadian Corps occurred during this period. [Recommended by Tighe McManus][CEF Study Group – Oct 2008]

http://www.dnd.ca/dhh/collections/books/engraph/details_e.asp?BfBookLang=1&BfId=48&cat=6

Library and Archives Canada - Soldiers of the First World War (1914-1918)

Over 600,000 Canadians enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) during the First World War (1914-1918). The CEF database is an index to those personnel files, which are held by the National Archives. To date, over 800,000 images of Attestation papers have been scanned and are being made available on-line. This material can be downloaded at no charge. The file format is a standard JPEG file. From this basic information a researcher can obtain the necessary information to acquire the full military file of a Great War soldier, however, in this latter case there will be a research fee. The CEF Study Group maintains a list of recommended National Archives researchers. [NOTE: Attestation registers (RG 9 II B 8 ) contained in volumes 1 to 654 and may only be consulted at the Library and Archives Canada – they are not yet scanned and on-line.][CEF Study Group - Updated Aug 2010]

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html

Library and Archives Canada - War Diaries of the First World War

This database contains the digitized War Diaries of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) units. From the start of the First World War, CEF units were required to maintain a daily account of their “Actions in the Field.” This log was called a War Diary. The War Diaries are not personal diaries, rather they are a historical record of a unit’s administration, operations and activities during the First World War. [CEF Study Group - Updated July 2006]

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020152_e.html

Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1919

Colonel G. W. L. Nicholson, C.D., Army Historical Section

This is the classic reference text [the Bible] for any student of the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the Great War. The original textbook is very difficult to obtain, however, the document is now available in the Adobe .pdf format directly from the historical section of the Canadian Armed Forces website. This document can be “key-word” searched for specific military units, locations and dates.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/oh-ho/detail-eng.asp?BfBookLang=1&BfId=22

[Note: The pagination in the on-line document is different than the original document, therefore formal citations with page number references cannot be used. [Note – the CEF Study Group has re-transcribed this complete document as a true facsimile of the original document. Go to http://www.cefresearch.com/matrix/Nicholson/ and click on “Transcription” to access the correctly re-paginated document in either Word or Adobe pdf]

Canadian Army Medical Corps reinforcements Nominal Roll - Canadian Expeditionary Force

This is one in a series of CEF Nominal Rolls made available by Tom Williams from his private collection. Tom is member of the "Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group", which studies the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) in the Great War (1914-1919). He has made this information available to fellow researchers who may benefit from these documents.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I am researching my great-aunt Muriel Maud Birkett Clark who was with CAMC 1915-1919 and it's mostly uphill! I have her records and the records of the #3 CGH where she served (sometimes. She seemed to be shuffled from England to France and then back to England to a special convalescent hospital and then off to Canada on a transport ship and then back to England.... ). Questions:

1) Does anyone know why my great-aunt wouldn't be mentioned in either the nominal rolls (1914) or the reinforcing-the-draft rolls of 1915? She enlisted Feb. 22, 1915 so I would expect her name to be on the rolls but nothing.

2) how come some nurses were mentioned in the War Diaries as going on leave and others not?

3) When a nurse was with #3 CGH in Camiers / Boulogne and they went on leave, where did they go and what the heck did they do? I mean, from the War Diaries, #3 CGH had men being brought in on an HOURLY basis which would mean that the enemy lines were relatively near (?) These nurses couldn't toddle off for a picnic with all the action going on and I doubt that they'd go off to see the lights of the nearest bit of civilization, so what did they do?